PDA

View Full Version : What was the worst Ubuntu release for you?

st33med
June 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
You can also post here for your opinion of which release was the worst for you.

PLEASE, NO FLAME WARS!

st33med
June 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Edgy Eft was the worst because I could not get my wireless working at all, even through a guide.

cprofitt
June 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I am relatively new to Ubuntu so I only go back to 6.06...

8.04 has a lot to like, but it also has some real warts.

Twitch6000
June 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Well I have only been around Linux since early 07 or late 06.
The first ubuntu I used was 7.10.
The first Linux I used was Opensuse.
After the hell I had with opensuse I went to Pclinux2007 then ubuntu then DSL then around a few times then back to ubuntu.

Hex_Mandos
June 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Gutsy. It promised a lot, and delivered too little. And it came right after Feisty, the best OS release I've ever used.

jrusso2
June 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Gutsy. It promised a lot, and delivered too little. And it came right after Feisty, the best OS release I've ever used.

I agree Feisty was the best. But I have not found the worst yet, but then again I have not used Hardy yet.

fluteflute
June 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Feisty, it was my first release and everything has been uphill since then.

toupeiro
June 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I found 7.04 to be a bit frustrating. Thats when they implemented that gui video card configuration tool, and I would periodically have it completely break my xorg.conf with no system configuration changes set, just a simple reboot. Its since gotten much better.

cardinals_fan
June 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I loved Edgy. It was very clean. Since then each consecutive release has gotten more and more bloated. Gutsy was probably the worst. The Gutsy release struck me as beta-quality at best.

GCoffee
June 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Fiesty,

This was definately my first linux try and I can't remember if it was fiesty or edgy.. I'm pretty sure it was fiesty though..

I didn't personally set it up that time (As I was only 9 and I had never used linux before) and my relative who works for a IT Firm did it for me, problems included:

WiFi totally did not work (Even when switched to WEP.)
Freezes

ETC,

Since then I have installed every linux distro I have ever tried myself, and with the exception of, i think, mandriva linux 10, the wifi has worked perfectly..

Cheers,
GCoffee.

fifth
June 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Gutsy was the worst release for me. Random kernel panics during boot forced me back to Fiesty which always worked flawlessly for me.

The boot problems were initially still there during the Hardy Alphas, but at some point (can't remember when) the issue was solved and Hardy is now the best release I have used to date :D

spamzilla
June 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Breezy Badger was a no go. Nothing worked and I eventually ended back with XP. Thankfully Dapper was a truly awesome release and since then, the only other bad release I've come across was Edgy, but all its problems were eventually sorted out, so I did use it.

Zer0Nin3r
June 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
At first I was asking myself, "Why did I upgrade?!" I was having a lot of trouble installing the nVidia driver (which isn't new to me either), but once I figured it out with some help from other users, everything seems to be working just fine. The crashes have slowed down, although I will still get the occasional lock up here and there. Other than that, I can't complain much with 8.04.

I do remember the time I installed new updates from the repository which were bad to begin with. I can't remember what version that was, but some will know what I am talking about. It was widespread in that it totally trashed the system.

Visual effects is easier to use and easier to implement. Beryl was great a few versions ago, but the tricky parts were installing it and if you performed upgrades that might have conflicted with the display, you were left reconfiguring all over again.

In light, there will always be some that are disgruntled, I was one, but the bugs are fewer and fewer in the beginning which is what you want. I say Linux is coming along quite nicely.

Now how to get off of ******* completely is something I would like to see. Unfortunately I run a lot of Adobe programs and iTunes...so I'm stuck with a dual boot for now. Ugh!

klange
June 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I came in under Feisty. My SD card reader didn't work. Everything has gotten better since then. Except for Wifi with the switch to iwl, but I guess morally that's better...

Vince4Amy
June 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
7.04 was the worst one IMO. However I don't really like any releases after this, they're just not as stable, I don't know if it's hardware or not but OpenSUSE and 6.10 (This should have been LTS IMO) work great.

Anthony M
June 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Feisty was the first version I tried and it did not detect my wireless. I vote that as my worst simply for that reason.

bufsabre666
June 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
by the way its worded, warty was worst, ive never had a bad experience upgrading, but i wouldnt say warty was bad, at the time it was GREAT

_DD_
June 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Edgy for me.
Sandwiched between Dapper and Feisty, which were both great releases in my opinion.

Chilli Bob
June 8th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Gutsy was the worst for me. I never got it working properly, even tried Kubuntu in desperation. Went back to Feisty which was an awesome release. So far I have to say Hardy is even better than Feisty. I think I will stay with it rather than the hassle of upgrading to 8.10.

Dr Small
June 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Gutsy didn't work out of the box for me. I had to configure Xserver before I could even get to the desktop. Probably the worst version for me. Hardy at least gives me 800x600 :|

Dapper seemed to be the most solid. Everything worked perfect out of the box. Feisty is second on my list, for having everything work. The newer versions tend to break easier on the same hardware...

vexorian
June 8th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Breezy, since it was the first one I tried, it has only been improvement after improvement since then, kudos ubuntu devs and community!

samjh
June 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Edgy. It was the only one that didn't run immediately after installation. There was also an X.org breakage.

Feisty kept suffering hard lockups, but it was rare at least.

brunolabs
June 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Gutsy, it didn't work at all in my computer.

Feisty and Hardy are great.

regomodo
June 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM

+1
It's because of Gutsy i left *buntuland

alexandremrj
June 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
My worst off was Breezy. In 8 releases than went thru my computer this was the one that made me always work in windows. Always breaking and always afraid of what's next in the upgrades.

quanumphaze
June 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I started with Gutsy which had some problems with my hardware (suspend, sound) but luckily it was still usable full time.

Hardy is so awesome on my laptop so Gusty was relatively the worst for me

Sand & Mercury
June 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hoary was the first release I tried, switched off of it immediately for the fact that virtually none of my hardware worked for it at the time. Since then the situation has gotten steadily better, never had a problem with Gutsy or now, Hardy

Mateo
June 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hardy and Dapper were/are both piles of dreck. Feisty has been my best release.

nick09
June 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I don't know since I only experienced Hardy(please new option in poll).:-\"

k99goran
June 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Though Hardy Heron has caused some problems for me regarding the Adobe Flash plugin, it's nothing compared to the first version I ever used, Feisty Fawn, which didn't detect my screens resolution and didn't have a GUI that allowed me to set it right.
I also remember trying to install Beryl, by copy-pasting a good 10-15 command lines (and editing xorg.conf to get the window decorators to show up). Or trying to transfer songs over to my Plays-for-sure MP3 player (which I never got working). Or trying to mount my NTFS hard drives (and keep them mounted). All of these things works now.

Hardy Heron also marks the first release where I've actually gotten my X-Fi sound card to work.

My choice is Feisty Fawn. Though if I had tried older versions I would probably have chosen them.

orwellus
June 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I vote for Hardy. Too bloated and nothing worked right.

Feisty is the best, for me, and the one I use on my system right now.

This is a bit off topic, but it seems like Ubuntu is getting more and more bloated with each release, and the quality has suffered because of it. I have 256 ram on my computer, and have had to use an alternative cd for every release after Dapper. If Windows XP, can work on a computer with only 128ram and Windows 98 can work with only 64ram, shouldn't Ubuntu be able to do better? I think Ubuntu requires something like 303 ram for the regular release of Hardy (as opposed to the alternative cd). Trim some of the fat for the next release. Oh, and get rid of the totem media player, and replace it with either mplayer or xine.