PDA

View Full Version : How many of YOU are still using 7.10 like me, or even earlier versions???

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
How many of YOU are still using 7.10 like me, or even earlier versions???

Well, i'm lazy, but more importantly am not comfortable with formatting my entire hard disk for Hardy live CD install( i formatted my entire hard disk to a single partition for 7.10 install!!!)

Also I've heard that 8.04 freezes often on old systems like mine, because it is Graphic intensive and RAM gobbler!!

Wht bout u?

JohnSearle
June 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I found that 8.04 worked perfectly on my system, and actually fixed a few of my video problems that I was having. That said, I went back to 7.10 due to lack of pulseaudio for Skype, which I use as my primary phone service.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if they've fixed up their problems with Skype? I found I could only run one audio application at a time, so listening to Amarok, for instance, made it impossible for me to get an incoming call.

- John

jrusso2
June 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I am still using 7.10, after 25 years of owning PC's I learned two lessons.

1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
2. Don't be an early adopter

Now if I could only convince my Supervisor of this and not to buy every new piece of junk Microsoft wants to sell him.

oldsoundguy
June 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
just a quickie .. I have three machines running 7.10 and they run flawlessly. So, changing really is not required for me. Add to that the fact 8.04 has left the chip/processor on one of the machines behind. (an old PIII with a Via chipset).
There are SOME things on 8.04 that I would like to integrate into my usage, but not just yet!

Mazza558
June 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Helped people in the Hardy beta and suggested improvements, though inside I was thinking "Is this it? Is this what Hardy's going to be like?". Luckily, it was only a beta, with plenty of time for change. When the final release was out, I thought there'd be a last update to fix my problems (Slow ATi, no access to other network PCs, a workaround to get ndiswrapper working)...none came :(

I went back to Gutsy a week after Hardy came out. I'm waiting for the iso of Ibex Alpha 1, and I'm ready to do my bit to make sure Ibex works for everyone with similar hardware to me.

Hex_Mandos
June 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I'm still using Feisty as a backup OS. My favorite OS ever, I don't get how stuff that worked a year ago now doesn't.

jrusso2
June 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I am sure at some point Hardy will have the kinks worked out and I will upgrade at that point.

joninkrakow
June 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hm... I upgraded both my PPC Mac and an ancient Dell PII laptop to 8.04 via update manager, without problem. I did both, trying to get them to work with a Sinus-T-Mobile wifi card I bought, based on bad info I found on the web. Both upgrades went amazingly well, considering that both computers are both on the bottom end, and rather old (Pismo is from 2000, and the Dell may be even older!). My Mac has all three of the main DEs on it, and all three upgraded without problem (though I added KDE4 and subsequently killed it).

I installed Xubuntu 7.04 on it, and upgraded to 8.04 via 7.10. Again, no problems. But it took 8.04 to give me wifi via that card! Now that I'm at 8.04, I installed icewm and LXDE, and am currently using LXDE as my DE, and it's quite snappy--nothing compared to Puppy, but it's good enough for me to use that most of the time over Puppy (howver, once I get Puppy configured properly, I may switch over--not sure yet).

In any case, it took 8.04 to give me the functionality I need, and it's been quite stable and capable. No desire to go back. I was never happy with Gutsy on my Mac, and Hardy feels much nicer to me.

OffHand
June 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I found that 8.04 worked perfectly on my system, and actually fixed a few of my video problems that I was having. That said, I went back to 7.10 due to lack of pulseaudio for Skype, which I use as my primary phone service.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if they've fixed up their problems with Skype? I found I could only run one audio application at a time, so listening to Amarok, for instance, made it impossible for me to get an incoming call.

- John

I used the following guide (http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2008/05/23/skype-microphone-problem-and-complete-pulse-audio-setup-in-ubuntu/) but skipped the stuff below.

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa

Now add the repositories given below to your sources.list file to install additional packages needed for Pulse Audio.
Open your sources.list by

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and add the following lines

## zman0900's PPA
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zman0900/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/zman0900/ubuntu hardy main

Save and close. Now enter the following commands one by one in the terminal.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

If the installation goes fine, then you can move ahead to Device Chooser. If libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio won't install, then enter

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-all

/home
June 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Just haven't got around to it yet

nick09
June 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nope. I came just in time 2 days after hardy was released.:lolflag:

BTW, I use 64-bit hardy.

Kernel Sanders
June 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hardy hates my Dell XPS M1330, Gutsy doesn't :KS

Midwest-Linux
June 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Depends on the computer and how it is configured.

Hardy did not work at all with Wubi on my Vista HP 762 NR laptop, neither did 7.10 or 7.04. But, once I shrunk the Vista drive, I was able to install Hardy with no problem on the newly freed space. I still can't get the wireless to work (Broadcom Hell) even after all the recommended countless scripts in the terminal. But works great on ethernet.

Power PC, 8.04 quit installing early and that was it. 7.10 installed fine except ended up at intramfs at start up...and that was that. 7.04 installed absolutley fine. yes I used the alternate Power PC install on all three tries. The computers were Imac G3 and G3 B & W.

Pentium I 100 Mhz with 130 MB RAM --Vintage 1996 DSI brand. Xubuntu 8.04 installed fine, however there was no mouse capability. Mouse worked good with DSL and Puppy. Will try 7.04 Xubuntu and see if that makes a difference.

Pentium II 400 Mhz 256 MB Ram Gateway small form factor. Xubuntu 8.04 installed fine and worked flawlessly.

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
i forgot to mention i have a four year old system, with 80GB hard disk, Pentium 4 Processor and 512 MB RAM.

fissionmailed
June 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Since I reformatted my desktop and am putting about 6 different *nix on it, it has 8.04 on it and runs perfectly.

My laptop which I've spent a lot of time fiddling with, still has 7.10. I'm too scared to update haha. IIRC there was a problem with VirtualBox and I use it for using MS Orfice and some other programs. It basically has to do with me not wanting to have to fiddle with stuff now, although I will soon.

cardinals_fan
June 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm not using Ubuntu right now, but if I were, I'd use Edgy. Edgy was the best.

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hardy works better on my laptop than Gutsy did, so I'm using it. If I run into problems with Ibex, I'll just switch distros. That is, if I haven't already by then, since I've started looking into other distros again.

rreese6
June 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Since I use my laptop for work and it seems to be very stable, I think I will continue with Gutsy for a while longer.
Once the bugs are down fro 8.03 LTS, I will review the hardware requirements and miht make the move.
I currently run Kubuntu on a Dell Latitude D800 with 1GB Ram and a Centrino 600-2000 Mhz Pentium M.

getaboat
June 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Dapper, Fiesty (this computer), Gutsy server and Gutsy desktop. I had some fun with wireless with Gusty and I saw problems in some posts on Hardy with networking - which would make it a big non no. Dapper will be the 1st to go to Hardy though - when I can be bothered - at the moment all are working OK so there is no incentive.

ghindo
June 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Since I use a newer machine, it hasn't very well supported. On both 7.04 and 7.10, I had to use some sloppy hacks to get Compiz working on my machine. Fortunately, with every Ubuntu release, my machine gets more support and works even better than the last release. I upgraded to 8.04 as soon as I was able (before the official release), and have been very pleased with it. Compiz now works out of the box, and a lot of the things I had to struggle with in earlier releases work like a dream.

fissionmailed
June 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I upgraded to 8.10 as soon as I was able (before the official release), and have been very pleased with it.

Who divided by zero?

bufsabre666
June 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Who divided by zero?

sudo update-manager -c -d
it lets you update to the most recent version of the os even if its alpha or beta

fissionmailed
June 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
sudo update-manager -c -d
it lets you update to the most recent version of the os even if its alpha or beta

The post was meant for strictly humorous reasons.

richardjennings
June 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I'm still using Gutsy. I agree totally with the - if it aint broke, dont fix it philosphy. I have my system running how I want it to run - based on a server install. I am not aware of any features in Hardy that I want, so it wouldn't make sense for me to 'upgrade'.

Barriehie
June 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
My Pavillion with a modified interior zooms right along with 7.10 so I'm not changing it.

Barrie

Sealbhach
June 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'm starting out in Linux with 8.04 so for me it's all quite thrilling, even when things go wrong!

Never used anything except Windows before this.

Incense
June 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I have a desktop still running Dapper (an awesome release). I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.1b on my notebook though.

emshains
June 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Man, I just had made my 7.10 perfectly adopted for my needs. Then the 8.04 came out and I just couldnt stand that everybody else now has a new version of ubuntu. So I made a thread asking about the safety of upgrading without a clean install. Lets just say, they lied. It crashed on the install. It just couldnt get the dependency and I rebooted. That was the most wrongly made move I could ever done, while I am using PCs. The package managing system was dead, I found that by the console, because I couldnt get into normal session. But now I use Hardy, its slower and it has more compiz bugs, but I set it up just the way I wanted, so now I am not going to upgrade to another distro' of ubuntu till the next LTS distro comes out. I hope I will be ready then, both mentally and technically.

ghindo
June 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
who Divided By Zero?o Shi-

stmiller
June 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Just now installing 8.04 Kubuntu. Hardy did seem pushed out the gate, but new kernel (yeah) and FF3 make it worth the upgrade IMO.

inportb
June 8th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Hm, months before Hardy was released, I had the development version installed on my laptop and enjoyed it immensely.

I'm keeping Gutsy on my server, though, until I have time to upgrade it and sort out the kinks. This'll probably not happen for the next couple of versions... lol.

R3VAMP3D
June 8th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I used to use Gutsy on my laptop but a hardy Kubuntu cd came in the mail and now it runs kde4's desktop (with the plasma leak ;'[ ).

Frak
June 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Using latest right now. Don't see a problem.

NovaAesa
June 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Same as above.

rajeev1204
June 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Feisty surely was really good.But i have found one thing about newer versions and that is the live cd keeps getting better at detecting hardware for older PC.

thats my experience though.

But ya, feisty seemed real light and fast.

Linuxratty
June 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Still using Klikit,based on Kbuntu.......feisty version.
And quite content with it.

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I still have Dapper on an older computer, and my sister + the laptop are running Feisty without problems. I see no reason to upgrade when everything works fine. The last known ubuntu on my hard drive was 7.04, too. I run Arch now.