PDA

View Full Version : Tabbed Windows: Way better than desktop cube! Try it out!

Mazza558
June 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
After playing with tabbed windows for a while, I now think they're more effective than the desktop cube, or even multiple desktops in general.

Here's a screenshot:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29948/tabwindow.png

Basically, it's an unused plugin for Compiz that is probably better to use and more fun than desktop cubes. Rather than have a cube to spread many windows out over, you can group similar windows together (for example, a browser window, calculator and 2 openoffice windows for work). Then, you can merge all these windows together into one, and use tabs to switch between them. Here's a small guide to getting it set up.

Step One: Find and enable tabbed windows
The plugin's located in the compiz advanced settings manager, right at the bottom right.

Step Two: Change some settings
The default settings are pretty useless and are very clumsy, which is probably why hardly anyone uses this plugin.

- In the glow tab, change the glow size to something more sensible, like 10 pixels. On small screens, the glow is way too big by default.

- In the "selection" tab, there's lots to change.
> In "animation options", you only need to change the "change tab animation duration" to something like 0.2800.
> In "misc options", you need to enable "autotab windows on creation". This option means that you don't need to use shortcuts to use tabbed windows, making life much easier. You should also shorten the "tab bar show delay" to something like 0.3000.
> In "slot dragging", you might want to enable the "spring model", which adds physics to your tabs and makes things more fun.
> In "window title font", a font size of 9 or 10 is recommended, and font color is best black.

Step Three: How do I use this then?

- Once you've done all the above, you can now try some tabbing out. If you now open 2 new windows (for example, a home folder and terminal), you'll find that you get a small thumbnail of the window when you hover over the titlebar of one of these.

- You can now drag the thumbnail from one window onto the titlebar of the other, and they'll merge into one window. Make sure you drag the thumbnail into the little bubble that pops up, otherwise nothing will happen.

- To change windows, you can now hover over the titlebar and choose the window you want. You also get a cool animation where the window flips over. Pretty cool, huh? :)

Step 4: Tips

- There seems to be a strange bug where dragging thumbnails into other windows outside of their bubbles occasionally seems to close the window. It hasn't actually closed, but has disappeared to an invisible bubble somewhere. Always make sure the thumbail you're dragging is in the bubble before letting go. You can get the window back by pressing Alt + F2 and typing "compiz --replace".

- There's loads of hidden animations that you can find by doing different things to windows that are grouped together. For example, trying to close a grouped window will send a "ghost window" flying out, leaving the window "underneath".

klange
June 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Group + Tab doesn't work well with Sessions, so fair warning.

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
After playing with tabbed windows for a while, I now think they're more effective than the desktop cube, or even multiple desktops in general.

Here's a screenshot:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/get/tabwindow.png

Basically, it's an unused plugin for Compiz that is probably better to use and more fun than desktop cubes. Rather than have a cube to spread many windows out over, you can group similar windows together (for example, a browser window, calculator and 2 openoffice windows for work). Then, you can merge all these windows together into one, and use tabs to switch between them. Here's a small guide to getting it set up.

Step One: Find and enable tabbed windows
The plugin's located in the compiz advanced settings manager, right at the bottom right.

Step Two: Change some settings
The default settings are pretty useless and are very clumsy, which is probably why hardly anyone uses this plugin.

- In the glow tab, change the glow size to something more sensible, like 10 pixels. On small screens, the glow is way too big by default.

- In the "selection" tab, there's lots to change.
> In "animation options", you only need to change the "change tab animation duration" to something like 0.2800.
> In "misc options", you need to enable "autotab windows on creation". This option means that you don't need to use shortcuts to use tabbed windows, making life much easier. You should also shorten the "tab bar show delay" to something like 0.3000.
> In "slot dragging", you might want to enable the "spring model", which adds physics to your tabs and makes things more fun.
> In "window title font", a font size of 9 or 10 is recommended, and font color is best black.

Step Three: How do I use this then?

- Once you've done all the above, you can now try some tabbing out. If you now open 2 new windows (for example, a home folder and terminal), you'll find that you get a small thumbnail of the window when you hover over the titlebar of one of these.

- You can now drag the thumbnail from one window onto the titlebar of the other, and they'll merge into one window. Make sure you drag the thumbnail into the little bubble that pops up, otherwise nothing will happen.

- To change windows, you can now hover over the titlebar and choose the window you want. You also get a cool animation where the window flips over. Pretty cool, huh? :)

Step 4: Tips

- There seems to be a strange bug where dragging thumbnails into other windows outside of their bubbles occasionally seems to close the window. It hasn't actually closed, but has disappeared to an invisible bubble somewhere. Always make sure the thumbail you're dragging is in the bubble before letting go. You can get the window back by pressing Alt + F2 and typing "compiz --replace".

- There's loads of hidden animations that you can find by doing different things to windows that are grouped together. For example, trying to close a grouped window will send a "ghost window" flying out, leaving the window "underneath".
whwere's the screenshot???

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
where's the screenshot???

I second that!

-grubby
June 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I hope you all know Fluxbox has had tabbed windows ;). But otherwise, yes, that is cool. I never really figured out how to use it, though

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I hope you all know Fluxbox has had tabbed windows ;). But otherwise, yes, that is cool. I never really figured out how to use it, though

I was just going to point that out. I sort of wish Openbox had that too, but I don't really need it.

billgoldberg
June 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I tried it but I didn't find it visually pleasing.

So I disabled it again.

klange
June 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I tried it but I didn't find it visually pleasing.

So I disabled it again.
What exactly didn't you like about it? It's the most visually customizable plugins in all of C-F.

jviscosi
June 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I was just going to point that out. I sort of wish Openbox had that too, but I don't really need it.

Second that. Although I rarely actually tabbed windows together in Fluxbox, I used an external tab on the side as a "handle" for grabbing windows without fear of accidentally clicking on a button.

cardinals_fan
June 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Pekwm has one of the most complete tabbed window executions.

rune0077
June 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Nah, sorry, I used that a while back but it never felt very useful - I never had one of those situations where it made sense to me to group windows together, so it ended up being just something I did because the option was there. Now I'm not using it anymore - if I quickly want a specific window, I just use the scale-plugin, that is far more productive.

Mazza558
June 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Screenshot fixed.

nick09
June 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I prefer no special effects that are shiny and new.

I would just edit the panels(make wider and add transparency) and thats it.

klange
June 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Group+Tab has been around for a while. Its first git commit is a year old. And you can adjust the shininess ;)

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't this just alt-tab in Windows and apple-tab in OS X?

klange
June 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Isn't this just alt-tab in Windows and apple-tab in OS X?
No.

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
No.

Sure looks like it.

Edit: Oh yeah! I forgot he wrote about it being in one window... I had this at one time- it was nice, but I didnt use it much.

macogw
June 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM

I knew there were tabs, but I have no idea what the point of them is. I see the little tabs hanging off of the titlebars, sure, but I mean...what do you do with them? I always tried to line up the titlebars and then grab the right tab, but I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. Are the tabs supposed to somehow merge the windows into 1 window?

-grubby
June 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I knew there were tabs, but I have no idea what the point of them is. I see the little tabs hanging off of the titlebars, sure, but I mean...what do you do with them? I always tried to line up the titlebars and then grab the right tab, but I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. Are the tabs supposed to somehow merge the windows into 1 window?

pretty much. The tabs exist within the window title bar

macogw
June 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
pretty much. The tabs exist within the window title bar

So how do you get all the windows into one window in Fluxbox?

urukrama
June 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
In fluxbox (and Pekwm) middle click on window header and drag that to another window header. That window will become a tab of the second window.

billgoldberg
June 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
What exactly didn't you like about it? It's the most visually customizable plugins in all of C-F.

I don't like that every time I hover above the title bar (or however you call it) that windows pops up.

Also when you resize, minimize or closes a windows it pops up again.

I don't find this "clean", if that makes any sense (same reason I don't use that vista-style windows preview plugin).

Also, the plugin doesn't work really well. Half of the time it just minimizes the window. Or one of the windows shows up covered by the top panel so you have to use the expo plugin to place it elsewhere on the desktop, ...

D-EJ915
June 10th, 2008, 04:15 AM
the tabbing feature is a bit more beautiful in PWM if you want to call it that, but it's rather arcane in comparison to what most people want. The only bad thing about it is that the windows are made the same size.

bobdobbs
January 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM

I love compiz's visual effects.

But I actually prefer the way that fluxbox way of both indicating that a window is grouped, and the means by which to select your target application.

In fluxbox, you can either see tabs at the side, or the windows titlebar shows the names of the hidden apps.

This makes it much quicker for the user to see and select the desired window. You always know that your hidden app is actually running. And you know where it is.
With the compiz way of doing it, you actually have to remember that your app is present. And you have to look for it when you want it.

In my opinion fluxbox does it right and compiz does it wrong.