PDA

View Full Version : Think Windows Vista and Ubuntu Hardy were bad releases? This happens even with Apple

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=494034

Check out post #23 especially...

I think the fact 10.5.4 is being seeded only ONE WEEK after 10.5.3 shows Leopard is a huge lump of a mistake. Indeed, talk of rapid change to 10.6 suggests Leopard is being abandoned for a re-write of the OS. A tacit admission of failure.

Leopard has been a disaster for users, breaking machines, frequently crashing (and ruining the previous excellent stability record of OS X) and being pathetic with wifi.

I am lucky to have two Macs, my main being an iMac, but I have a Powerbook 12". Whilst I have opted to upgrade the iMac, the Powerbook remains on Tiger and the difference shows. There have been times I have had to turn to the Powerbook for reliability of the OS to complete work. There are no wifi problems with the PB - despite the Al casing - whilst the iMac hangs... sitting next to the laptop. There are some on this forum who consistently deny there are problems with Leopard's wifi handling, blaming ISPs and hardware. Ask any Apple Store Genius and they will tell you what we all know: Leopard breaks wifi. Indeed they are fed up with half their daily work appeasing Leopard users with problems that needs OS fixes and can't be solved in store.

I am not a power user, but if I have problems with some website building (don't get me started on iWeb), word processing, Net use and DVD authoring what must power-users who have deadlines and deals on the line be going through?

I am a long-term reader of the forums, and I am sorry if I come across as negative, but Apple have seriously dropped the ball on the software. Let's look at the recent history: Pages, iWeb, iPhoto 08, iMovie 08 and Leopard were all useless on launch, and iWeb, iMovie 08 and Leopard are still inferior releases. The recent profit boost has come from iMac sales, not iPod/iPhone sales. Yes these latter items are technically brilliant and shiny, but Macs are the core and where the profits are, losing sight of that and focusing on the periphery could bring Apple tumbling down.

Finally, I am amused some think "Snow Leopard" will be the first OS to drop PowerPC support... surely that was Leopard 10.5.0? Reading these forums the bulk of the complaints come from G4/G5 users, so it is clear Apple have dropped support there.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Hmm seems like these people are everywhere...

SomeGuyDude
June 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I certainly don't think Hardy was a bad release. Nor do most users. Who's suggesting Hardy is Ubuntu's death knell or something?

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I certainly don't think Hardy was a bad release. Nor do most users. Who's suggesting Hardy is Ubuntu's death knell or something?

I just though this was interesting because so many WIndows users say Vista is the death knell and many people are saying Ubuntu has gone to crap because of Hardy. This just shows that death mongers exist on all platforms.

chewearn
June 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
lol. I wish there are Ubuntu Store Geniuses who can state once and for all that Hardy is crap or not.

Mazza558
June 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I don't think Hardy's the end of Ubuntu, but that doesn't stop it doing some things worse than Gutsy did them. I'm hoping Ibex will be better. Hardy still seems like it's in beta to me.

twright
June 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
overall hardy is great, the only problem is that it shipped pulseaudio with all of the bugs associated with it and none of the graphical utilities that make it worth having, it seem we won't get them until gnome 2.26 (when they are rebuilding the volume stuff around pulse audio)

this is the most annoying bug for me:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/202089

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I don't think Hardy's the end of Ubuntu, but that doesn't stop it doing some things worse than Gutsy did them. I'm hoping Ibex will be better. Hardy still seems like it's in beta to me.

This is a personal experience issue. People I know IRL love it so much more than Gutsy or any previous release.

kk0sse54
June 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hardy worked way better than Gutsy did for my computer and I definitely love it so just like acelin said it's a personal experience issue.

twright
June 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
i personally love hardy, suspend and hibernate now work, mire wireless works better, firefox 3 rocks, open office is faster, the system feels more stable and the new wallpaper is cool

kevin11951
June 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
this is the most annoying bug for me:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/202089

there is a way to fix this. I have a system76 computer, and the driver pack (little bug fixes) fix two things: wireless led, and sound after resume. However the driver only will work on system76 computers, but if you want to pick it apart (i think its written in python) here: http://planet76.com/repositories/system76-driver-2.2.1.deb

twright
June 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
there is a way to fix this. I have a system76 computer, and the driver pack (little bug fixes) fix two things: wireless led, and sound after resume. However the driver only will work on system76 computers, but if you want to pick it apart (i think its written in python) here: http://planet76.com/repositories/system76-driver-2.2.1.deb
i have just disabled it, it is getting better but it still just isn't as stable as ALSA (yet)