PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's in a lull right now.

Mazza558
June 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Does anyone else get this feeling? This time last year, there was loads of stuff happening. Compiz and Beryl had merged, resulting in some fantastic new plugins that wowed a lot of people. As someone in the comments - of the YouTube video showing these new effects - put it:

...and to think this video is a year old...however, there hasn't really been much development since last year, despite it still being impressive.

A year on (and not just with Compiz), Ubuntu seems to be static, with lots of projects being developed and improved, but being too early in development to use properly (KDE4 for one). The community are in between releases, and for many, Hardy wasn't quite what they'd hoped for.

I'm waiting for Alpha 1 of Ibex, because I'm going to do my bit to make sure Ibex is an improvement on Hardy. I'm especially concerned about whether it's easier to install wireless drivers on Ibex than it was on Hardy (Hardy's harder than Gutsy for some people).

I can't wait to start actively promoting Ubuntu again when things pick up before Ibex's release, but for now, it's a waiting game.

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Look out for a new appearance on Ibex. It is going to be good. I have spoken with Kenneth, the head guy who represents Shuttleworths wishes when it comes to art, and he has all intentions of it looking amazing.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think it's in a lull at all. There are piles of new systems developed that are superior in every way to their predecessors, and there is some transitioning to do. Look at XInput 2 (aka. Multi-Pointer X Server (http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/)), PolicyKit, Telepathy, PulseAudio...
Lots of cool stuff :)

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Also look at all the new attention Linux is getting from these new netbooks... with Ubuntu just releasing their Remix Version, its only a matter of time before something like hits happens with Ubuntu.

bobbocanfly
June 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM
It seems like a lull because Hardy was LTS so had to be as stable as possible. Doing something as major as Compiz by default in an LTS is insanity.

Intrepid is going to be much more interesting and exciting.

karellen
June 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
one word: stability, not bling
(I still don't think desktop effects should be included and enabled by default. it seems they cause a lot of crashes - just look at testimonials)

FuturePilot
June 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
It's not in a lull at all.

fatality_uk
June 7th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Mazza, be glad your not a Windows user :lol:

I mean, a 6 month cycle isn't that long to wait. Just abot 15 weeks now before Ibex hits the streets. The LTS releases do make it feel a little like a lul I guess.

danbuter
June 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking all the devs are still on vacation. They haven't even bothered to update Firefox.

Superkoop
June 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
They haven't even bothered to update Firefox.

Yes they have, it's in Hardy Proposed. And the RC won't get into the regular repos, only the final will be in the regular repos.

chewearn
June 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
one word: stability, not bling
(I still don't think desktop effects should be included and enabled by default. it seems they cause a lot of crashes - just look at testimonials)

Nah, I disagree. Out of thousands of installs out there (I'm don't really know how many, but there are millions of ubuntu install; assuming that thousands running compiz is really very conservative), the number of reported crashes are minuscule.

My personal experience with compiz has been excellent. I started using beryl in Feisty, but remove it shortly because it affects video quality significantly. Then in gusty, it improved such that the video artifacts were barely noticeable, and I enabled compiz permanently. Really, the only problem I experienced with compiz fusion in gutsy was some inconsistencies in the UI. Now, in hardy, most of these inconsistencies have been largely eliminated.

danbuter
June 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I had a ton of random crashes, especially combined with Firefox. The crashes stopped after I deleted Compiz. But that's just my experience.

Tundro Walker
June 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
We're living in a time when it takes folks years to develop software (EG: a game) that others will give a crap about.

Computer software is complex; Quality takes time. All these folks busting their humps to optimize things, from the kernal to other foundation architecture ... are you saying you don't respect that? Only the squeaky new blingy wheels get your grease?

Mazza558
June 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
... are you saying you don't respect that? Only the squeaky new blingy wheels get your grease?

Please read the whole of my OP. I helped people with the beta of Hardy (look at the amount of thanks I have!), and appreciate the difficulty of development. I'm just saying that even with people working harder than ever to improve things, it still disappointed some people.

karellen
June 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Nah, I disagree. Out of thousands of installs out there (I'm don't really know how many, but there are millions of ubuntu install; assuming that thousands running compiz is really very conservative), the number of reported crashes are minuscule.

I don't have any bulletproof statistics (and I bet you don't have either) but if only 10% (no, be it 5%) of total numbers of installs experienced crashes because of compiz wouldn't be logical not to enable it by default? it's not an essential feature, it's less important than, let's say, automatically mounting ntfs partitions or network detection (which work, nevertheless). I just feel too much effort is spent on eye candy, instead of some useful enhancements (like tabs for nautilus) and bug fixing

cardinals_fan
June 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
To me, Ubuntu has been in a lull since Edgy.

Some people on these forums complain about the lack of package management on Slackware. I usually point out that it's very easy to make Slackware packages. They then ask how I keep those packages up to date. It's a fair question, and my reply is simple: I don't. Most so-called "updates" are really just excuses to break my system for no noticable benefit. The only apps that I feel have more to gain from newer versions are Opera (not an issue, I execute it right off the downloaded tarball) and dwm (compiled from source anyway).

Why the digression to Slack packages? Simple. If an app works well for me, I don't want to 'upgrade' it. I just want it to keep on working.

ghindo
June 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Somebody's being a bit impatient. ;)

23meg
June 8th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Does anyone else get this feeling? This time last year, there was loads of stuff happening. Compiz and Beryl had merged, resulting in some fantastic new plugins that wowed a lot of people.

A year on (and not just with Compiz), Ubuntu seems to be static, with lots of projects being developed and improved, but being too early in development to use properly (KDE4 for one). The community are in between releases, and for many, Hardy wasn't quite what they'd hoped for.

That's a very Ubuntu-centric view; as if upstreams existed for Ubuntu only. I guess you mean to say "the part of the free software world that directly interests me is in a lull right now", but I can't quite make out what you're interested in either, since you haven't mentioned any specific upstreams that may have slowed down, but instead come up with the strange notion of Ubuntu slowing down as a whole, as if it had absolute control over and moved in full harmony with the upstreams that constitute it.

Metaleks
June 8th, 2008, 02:38 AM
It may seem like we're in a lull, but we're really not. It's really hard for all of these great things to be happening ALL the time. The biggest thing that people are going to be looking forward to is the new appearance of Ibex. Personally, I can't wait to see what the art team has in store for us.

acelin
June 8th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Oh you bet! It is going to look great!

vexorian
June 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Really though, the changes I noticed from feisty to hardy are so huge, nevermind about compiz I don't really use it anyway. Did you notice all the polish changes? Hey, if you didn't then it means the polishing is really working... I wish they remain silently fixing those little details cause that's where the secret lies...

Yuki_Nagato
June 8th, 2008, 04:10 AM
One's life cannot be a single un-ending peak. There needs to be break time for all of our wonderful profit-free programmers.

swoll1980
June 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Please read the whole of my OP. I helped people with the beta of Hardy (look at the amount of thanks I have!), and appreciate the difficulty of development. I'm just saying that even with people working harder than ever to improve things, it still disappointed some people.

Well some people just don't seem to appreciate anything. I call these people spoiled. I would say if it's a disappointment to anyone they should ask for a refund.

Tundro Walker
June 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM

I think it's like others have said. There's going to be some versions with lots of huzzah and fan-fare over some really cool new stuff. And then there's going to be some versions which are just the equivalent of some janitors pushing some brooms around to clean up some messes from other things.

With everyone and their uncle coding software these days, there's going to be natural lulls where folks run out of fresh ideas. I'd rather have a lull then see a lot of fire and motion from folks wasting time coding pointless software to solve problems that don't exist.

Have to remember that desktop computers are not exactly the main focus for some folks these days, either. Lots of folks are more interested in software for their phone, pda, etc. The focus in Ubuntu may be trying to cover more playing fields. So, the desktop playing field may get less attention at times.

Hey, GJ on helping with the Hardy test! Others may be complaining, but I've liked it!

chewearn
June 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I don't have any bulletproof statistics (and I bet you don't have either) but if only 10% (no, be it 5%) of total numbers of installs experienced crashes because of compiz wouldn't be logical not to enable it by default?

Yes, I will agree with your assessment, if the percentage of compiz users seeing crashes is between 5 to 10%.

However, I'm of the opinion that the figure is closer to 0.5 to 1%. I will admit I don't have any statistic as well. My opinion, with less than 1% defects, it is more advantageous to include compiz by default.

it's not an essential feature, it's less important than, let's say, automatically mounting ntfs partitions or network detection (which work, nevertheless).

We will have to disagree on this one. I personally feels that some features of compiz have improve my productivity.

I just feel too much effort is spent on eye candy, instead of some useful enhancements (like tabs for nautilus) and bug fixing

Again, we have to disagree here. A lot of efforts were being spent on many things. Compiz just happened to be the most visible (probably, due to the hype). You are being influenced by the very visible profile of compiz and failed to see the efforts of many in other areas.

karellen
June 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Yes, I will agree with your assessment, if the percentage of compiz users seeing crashes is between 5 to 10%.

However, I'm of the opinion that the figure is closer to 0.5 to 1%. I will admit I don't have any statistic as well. My opinion, with less than 1% defects, it is more advantageous to include compiz by default.

We will have to disagree on this one. I personally feels that some features of compiz have improve my productivity.

Again, we have to disagree here. A lot of efforts were being spent on many things. Compiz just happened to be the most visible (probably, due to the hype). You are being influenced by the very visible profile of compiz and failed to see the efforts of many in other areas.

I admit I like Compiz and some features are really useful and I never had crashes due to it, I was just wondering about all the complains and whining that I read daily in Testimonials & Experiences

quanumphaze
June 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I find that Hardy made great steps in the hardware support area.

In Gutsy my laptop had very buggy suspend and the sound card wasn't set up properly.
Now it works nearly perfectly and even has a little widget when I change the screen brightness.

It even worked out of the box on my friends new Asus x55S out of the box.

Most of the action in Hardy's development were behind the scenes and I believe in the right direction.

k99goran
June 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I also think that the overall hype and excitement has been winding down over the latest release. Hardy Heron seemed like the Ubuntu equivalent of a service pack. The version number was bumped and a few new problems were added. The only reason I can think of is that 8.04 is an LTS release and Canonical didn't want to change too much.

Ubuntu 8.10 will be shipping with a more mature version of Firefox 3, and hopefully OpenOffice 3. And unless the efforts to revamp the user interface results in nothing more than a slightly darker shade of brown, I think it may just compete with 7.10 in terms of hype.

Well some people just don't seem to appreciate anything. I call these people spoiled. I would say if it's a disappointment to anyone they should ask for a refund.
I think it's unrealistic to expect people to get excited about something just because its free. A dog turd on the sidewalk is free, but it will probably no make your day.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Wine RC4 has added a new dimension to my linux computing--I now hardly boot into Windows because for the first time I can install MSOffice 2003 (only Word, Excel, PPT owrk without glitches)--for my thesis writing and biblio needs. But I can't wait for OOo3 to bring all this into a neat package. Some Statistics packages are still Windows centric so I have to boot now and then into Windows. So exitement, Ubuntu and Wine bring to 8.04.
S

BigSilly
June 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's just Ubuntu, but the whole of Linux is in a lull right now I feel. And while it's cool to be clever about what we pay for it, many people just won't see it that way and will go to Windows. It really feels like there's just nothing happening in the Linux world right now, like all the energy is spent.

As for Ubuntu, though I have my own silly little problems with it, it's clear the wider picture is one of upset and annoyance. Most Linux fans will cope and fix stuff, but the broad general consensus is that even after being out for so long, it's still fairly buggy, and wasn't that amazing in the first place. And lets not forget that this is an OS that is the forefront of the Linux movement. It's the banner distro.

Don't mean to offend anyone with this POV, so please don't get upset with me. I'm a huge fan of Ubuntu, and cannot imagine using my PC with anything else. By all means talk me out of this feeling.

TomMK
June 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Mark Shuttleworth has written a very interesting post on his blog about this. He argues that, in order for the free software world as a whole to gain better momentum (and avoid lulls such as has been suggested here), that releases of core components, applications and distros happen in waves, to better allow each release to catch the next wave of distributions.

I think its a fantastic arguement. For a long time I've seen articles says there are too many distros, how can manufacturers keep up with such a disjointed ecosystem. Some even called for a single, merged distro! This idea negates all that. Really a very interesting read, and one that I support.

23meg
June 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
It really feels like there's just nothing happening in the Linux world right now, like all the energy is spent.

This is a genuine question: where do you get your news? What resources do you use to follow up on what's going on?

As for Ubuntu, though I have my own silly little problems with it, it's clear the wider picture is one of upset and annoyance.

Again, which outlets give you this impression? The support forums (like this site), which are dominantly frequented by people who have problems, by their very nature?

pt123
June 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Compiz and Beryl had merged, resulting in some fantastic new plugins that wowed a lot of people.

Stability in Compiz has dramatically improved. In Gutsy it would freeze the whole system after a few hours. (Nvidia 6600GT card).

In Hardy there were few freezes initially, but for the last 2 weeks I haven't experienced one.

The only thing that bugs me about Compiz is that they don't have a ubuntu repository for their latest releases.

Mono apps. have improved dramatically in recent releases. Gnome-Do, Tomboy, Tasque, F-Spot and Banshee.

Also Gnome seems to listening to users better with the upcoming improvements in Nautilus.

the8thstar
June 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sometimes the tide is high, sometimes it is low. We can't expect fireworks all the time. I believe it's better to wait and enjoy the anticipation before the nice surprise comes.

I don't know the world situation of the current Linux development. It's beyond my understanding and scope. What I can say about Ubuntu is that every upgrade has worked better than the previous one, especially when it comes to working "out of the box" and being stable.

I do have occasional Gnome hang-ups when I play .mpg files in Totem and my webcam is still not working (Microsoft VX-6000), but apart from that I'm a happy camper. I've kept Windows to stream some media over the Internet, use my webcam in Skype and fiddle around on MS Office 2007.

Perhaps it feels that there is a lull. Perhaps there IS a lull. Let's give the developers time to consolidate their creation.

BigSilly
June 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
This is a genuine question: where do you get your news? What resources do you use to follow up on what's going on?

Again, which outlets give you this impression? The support forums (like this site), which are dominantly frequented by people who have problems, by their very nature?

It's just a general feeling I get from the wider Linux world. It's just how it looks to me; I don't claim it as fact. Sorry if I implied something else.

I guess I'm talking about my own disappointment really. Various little issues and hangups are causing me to doubt the strength of Ubuntu. I don't really want to be constantly looking to the next version for relief, so maybe it says more about my own relationship with the distro than anything else.

Perhaps the lull is my own.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
BigSilly, if you want a good idea of the big picgure, keep an eye on sites like the following:
planet.gnome.org
planet.ubuntu.com
linux.com
linuxfoundation.com
...all really good sources for "what's new".

I feel I must disagree about Compiz being good for usability. It causes numerous issues that people do not notice immediately (as opposed to fancy blur effects) but which are serious drains. Of note to me, for example, is that Compiz presently breaks Fitt's law with docks. Pointer to the top right of the screen clicks nothing; it must be aimed a little bit lower to hit a panel applet.
On the other hand, I have recently gone back to plain Metacity. While this window manager does not pack every fancy window switcher imaginable, I have found that absense ompletely excusable given the benefit of it doing window management properly.

danbuter
June 8th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I should point out that I really, really think Hardy is a major improvement, especially of Gutsy (which was extremely buggy for me). I just think Firefox updates should be in the main repos as soon as they are available. It's one of the major programs in use by most of the Ubuntu users, in all likelihood. Hiding them in a proposed repo makes no sense to me, as I suspect that I will also end up with a bunch of questionable/bleeding edge updates for other programs that work perfectly fine if I enable the Hardy-proposed repo. FF3 Beta 5 NEEDS updated, it is really buggy. And if everyone was using it, we could make more bug reports to Mozilla that might actually improve the final release, instead of everyone finding some major bug or two after we get the final.

23meg
June 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
It's just a general feeling I get from the wider Linux world. It's just how it looks to me; I don't claim it as fact. Sorry if I implied something else.

I'm aware that it's just your impression, because you said so:

I feel.

It really feels like

this POV

I was wondering the resources you follow that led you to that impression.

An observation of mine has been that this website is pretty much the only window into "the Linux world" for what I would claim is most of its regulars. That distorts these people's perception of what's actually going on towards an Ubuntu-centric and problem-centric view, and eventually causes some of the recurring social problems that we deal with.

I guess I'm talking about my own disappointment really.

Thanks for being honest about and re-evaluating your initial projection.

bruce89
June 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I note that none of this is actually about Ubuntu, but is about upstream projects. Sigh.

LightB
June 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Seems the same as usual to me; could be better, could be worse. And all the hype around compiz I think was overblown anyways. How many PCs carry nvidia video by default? I doubt it's most, and without this it's useless, ati drivers are still junk and probably always will be.

acelin
June 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I note that none of this is actually about Ubuntu, but is about upstream projects. Sigh.

Ain't dat da truth.

BigSilly
June 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
BigSilly, if you want a good idea of the big picgure, keep an eye on sites like the following:
planet.gnome.org
planet.ubuntu.com
linux.com
linuxfoundation.com
...all really good sources for "what's new".

I do use other Linux sites like Linux.com etc, and I'm also a subscriber to Linux Format magazine here in the UK and have been a reader for over a year. I do try to keep up with the wider Linux world beyond the Ubuntu forums, but yes I concede that I spend most of my time on here. Though I've only been Windows-free/Ubuntu-only for about a year, it did seem to me that there are more disappointed users this time out with Hardy, more so than either Feisty or Gutsy. But yes, that's just how it seemed to me.

As for Compiz, though I do have the requisite NVidia card, I don't use it because simply put it makes my favourite programs bug out. I don't blame Ubuntu for that - I just don't use Compiz.

bruce89
June 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Ain't dat da truth.

Of course, I said it.

...it did seem to me that there are more disappointed users this time out with Hardy, more so than either Feisty or Gutsy. But yes, that's just how it seemed to me.

LTSes are always "boring".

23meg
June 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM

As usual.

How many PCs carry nvidia video by default? I doubt it's most, and without this it's useless, ati drivers are still junk and probably always will be.

As for Compiz, though I do have the requisite NVidia card,

An NVIDIA card is not required for Compiz; users of even low-end Intel chips can use it just fine.

regomodo
June 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Linux Format magazine basically said the same thing in it's latest magazine

I still love Ubuntu, but it needs more innovation to maintain momentum.

..each release is largely built upon the last, and Ubuntu certainly hasn't taken any major risks with it's releases as of late.

Perhaps Ubuntu and Canonical are afraid of taking risks; to be honest, they're probably in the best position to break with the mould of traditional distros.

LXF July 2008

It explains their 7/10 rating of HH

bruce89
June 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
As usual.

Of course, Ubuntu only have themselves to blame for this Ubuntu = upstream thing. Otherwise, Adobe wouldn't advertise Flash 10 as having "Ubuntu support", whatever that is. They should know better.

cardinals_fan
June 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I don't think it's just Ubuntu, but the whole of Linux is in a lull right now I feel. And while it's cool to be clever about what we pay for it, many people just won't see it that way and will go to Windows. It really feels like there's just nothing happening in the Linux world right now, like all the energy is spent.

I don't think that things are truly in a lull. Slackware 12.1 was just released! Yes!

LightB
June 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
An NVIDIA card is not required for Compiz; users of even low-end Intel chips can use it just fine.

No, but I would say it's definitely preferred. I don't know if things with Intel and Xorg have changed drastically in the last 6 months or so, but last time I checked, Intel video was good, but still pretty underpowered. I'd hate to be straining a machine with that.

Besides that, you could bunch together Nvidia + Intel video defaulted, it's still not a majority or even a huge percent of machines out there.

danbuter
June 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM

While I really like Ubuntu, they don't actually send much stuff upstream (at least compared to Novell/Red Hat/Debian). Most of their stuff is from upstream, with a nice polish. So maybe that's part of the issue.

bruce89
June 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
While I really like Ubuntu, they don't actually send much stuff upstream (at least compared to Novell/Red Hat/Debian). Most of their stuff is from upstream, with a nice polish. So maybe that's part of the issue.

Indeed, that's probably a big issue.

I'd contest the nice polish. I can't stand the Ubuntu default theme, and in fact replace any screenshots on Wikipedia using it (I'd rather have distro neutral ones).

jeffus_il
June 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The upside of a lull is stability, good for all those newcomers doing their 1st install.

BigSilly
June 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM

No, sorry. It's usually the preferred card though. You know what I mean. I could've worded it better.

Linux Format magazine basically said the same thing in it's latest magazine LXF July 2008

It explains their 7/10 rating of HH

I didn't agree with their review, but I think I see what they're saying. They're basically saying that in order to stay the leading distro and keep ahead of Microsoft, Ubuntu needs to be more innovative in it's approach to the desktop. They kind of cited Ubuntu 8.04 as business as usual, rather than being anything special, and preferred the new Mandriva over it.

Paqman
June 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Canonical seems to be working really hard building partnerships with some big companies (Dell, Intel, etc) so I think if you take a wider view of the Ubuntu project there's a lot going on.

23meg
June 9th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Of course, Ubuntu only have themselves to blame for this Ubuntu = upstream thing. Otherwise, Adobe wouldn't advertise Flash 10 as having "Ubuntu support", whatever that is. They should know better.

I don't know why Adobe would advertise it as such, and how exactly you connect this to the Ubuntu = upstream thing, but that thing is pretty much a direct consequence of Ubuntu's chosen target audience. Which is not to say the situation can't be improved.

While I really like Ubuntu, they don't actually send much stuff upstream (at least compared to Novell/Red Hat/Debian).

You mix up companies and distros there. In any case, a direct comparison also needs to take into attention the total amount of contributors in each distro if you're talking about distros, and the size of the companies if you're talking about companies. Canonical is a smaller company than Novell and Red Hat by orders of magnitude, and in its short life of four years has already launched and contributed to important projects which other major distributions and upstreams are now using (Upstart, Apport, Bazaar etc.)

Most of their stuff is from upstream, with a nice polish.

Whose isn't? Basic fact: "All distros are forks of upstream", as sabdfl likes to put it.

jespdj
June 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Does anyone else get this feeling?
No. It's just your personal impression, not based on any rational reasoning.

Read the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=243) for info about what's happening in Ubuntu-land.

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
No. It's just your personal impression, not based on any rational reasoning.

Read the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=243) for info about what's happening in Ubuntu-land.

+1

:guitar:

BigSilly
June 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
This is probably very silly of me, but I just wanted to post up to take back my negativity from my previous posts. The truth is I was posting up those opinions while I was pretty ill, so was in a really pretty foul mood. Hope I've not upset anyone (especially 23meg), but wanted to re-instate my feelings about Ubuntu and Linux - I am a very, very happy user, and I think the future for Linux is very rosy indeed. Reading back over my posts makes me sound very negative now, and that simply isn't a true reflection of my opinions.

As I say, it's probably very silly of me to do this, but I was really pretty ill and in a right miserable state. Thought it worth a post to say sorry. Funny though how 23meg cottoned on to my posts about how I was feeling! I was feeling pretty miserable, and I took it out on these forums.

Sorry again dudes.

ghindo
June 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
this Is Probably Very Silly Of MeWell aren't you just a big silly then.