PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to run Linx on new laptop

step77
June 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I.m trying to dual boot a new Samsung R45 laptop for a mate. It has 2 partitions on it. Vista, 2902GB and a Restore partition, 30GB.
I can't get any Linux distro to boot from CD or DVD. It goes 3 bars on a Ubuntu Hardy live CD and dies. It won't load Gparted or any Linux CD. It's ok with the windows restore CD and will boot from that. Any ideas or suggestions? He needs Windows for his work but wants Hardy for security on his spare space.
Steve.

Pumalite
June 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
If you want to install; try the Alternate CD. With Vista; you have to allocate space for Ubuntu with the Vista partitioner first. You cannot partition with the Ubuntu CD.

step77
June 8th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm a bit concerned that I couldn't even boot with Gparted to do the partioning that way but I'll use Vista to do so. It really is an appalling OS. Funny thing though, my new PC came with Vista on a 320GB HD. It booted Gparted fine and I set up the partions manually. Gave Vista 500 GB and only use it for my Sony Walkman.
Steve.

If you want to install; try the Alternate CD. With Vista; you have to allocate space for Ubuntu with the Vista partitioner first. You cannot partition with the Ubuntu CD.