PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Sluggish after installation

harish_kd
June 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I used Ubuntu 7.10 on my p4 2.8 ghz 256 mb ram with an IGP .I thought my computer was a bi older and decided to go with xubuntu after the release of hardy. I did so and the computer became really sluggish. So i thought of satying back wih ubuntu and it's features. :mad:
I installed ubuntu hardy and it's a lot faser than xubuntu. :)
I then installed ubuntu on my friend's with penium D 512 ram and an IGP (better than that of mine) today. I's also very slow and i promised to make his computer faster. Is there anything i can do.:confused:](*,)

Bubba64
June 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
If you give a short more detailed description of what is slower you will probably get answers. The description so far is way to vague.

bijeeshvs
June 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
ca n you post a screenshot of his system moniter??????????????

harish_kd
June 8th, 2008, 02:03 AM
@bijeeshvs
I did try to take a look at the system monitor. But it takes a lot of time to even go to the menu and click on the system monitor.
After all, i think system monitor itself is a bulkier thing.
@Bubba64
The whole computer indeed, staring from startup, login, opening nautilius or even synptic or terminal is very sluggish on my friend's computer. My xubuntu is just a bit slower than my ubuntu.

harish_kd
June 8th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Will I have to install a debian + Gnome again removing all useless apps? or just compile the kernel?

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Will I have to install a debian + Gnome again removing all useless apps? or just compile the kernel?

If you know how to do these things listed here you have a better understanding than I do. The only thing you might check is the original CD to see if there were any errors on it. Sorry I can't be of more help. I would also look in synaptic for any broken packages.

harish_kd
June 8th, 2008, 02:31 AM
The disk was the same which was shipped from shipit. Even then, i'll check it.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 02:39 AM
The disk was the same which was shipped from shipit. Even then, i'll check it.

I have seen various posts with people having problems with discs gotten through the mail. A daily download ISO is your best bet in the future, and for some reason I can't access the site for the desktop or alternative ISO downloads, The daily is best it will give you the daily build, and save you the 200 or more package download to catch up with the updated release.

harish_kd
June 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I downloaded Xubuntu(source) and i will try to install i on ubuntu server installation. My doubt is whether all the drivers present in Ubuntu desktop edition are present in the custom installaion.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I downloaded Xubuntu(source) and i will try to install i on ubuntu server installation. My doubt is whether all the drivers present in Ubuntu desktop edition are present in the custom installation.

You said xubuntu server aren't you just trying to install in your friends laptop a valid or working distribution. This forum is a great place to get answers so keep in touch.

harish_kd
June 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM
You said xubuntu server aren't you just trying to install in your friends laptop a valid or working distribution. This forum is a great place to get answers so keep in touch.

Sorry. i meant xfce not xubuntu.

harish_kd
June 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I have seen various posts with people having problems with discs gotten through the mail. A daily download ISO is your best bet in the future, and for some reason I can't access the site for the desktop or alternative ISO downloads, The daily is best it will give you the daily build, and save you the 200 or more package download to catch up with the updated release.

How to get the daily builds? I 'm using these forums to get my answers to problems all these days but didn't post any until this one. I kinda amazed at the speed of reply.
I need to know the solution to the problem or else they will have a bad impression on linux.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
How to get the daily builds? I 'm using these forums to get my answers to problems all these days but didn't post any until this one. I kinda amazed at the speed of reply.
I need to know the solution to the problem or else they will have a bad impression on linux.

I would post you links but they have moved the daily loads around and I get an error on the ones I was using for links. Just go to Google or your favorite search engine and search with xubuntu iso daily if you want xubuntu there are desktop CDs if you have I think 340 ram, anything lower is the daily alternative just make sure you down load for your basic computer type and don't burn it any faster than 4x and have the computer check the CD for viability.