PDA

View Full Version : Initial Seeding - turn computer off?

fela
June 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
My dad is thinking of making and publishing some torrents, and he reckons that the initial seeder can turn his/her computer OFF overnight, and that all the peers will completely understand why their torrents die every night (or every day for some people, for that matter) :mad:.

In my opininon, torrents don't work like that, and the initial seeder has to keep his/her computer on all night + day seeding, until there is AT LEAST one more peer with a complete copy.

Fine, it is theoretically possible the other way, but i suspect that the torrent would go very slowly (like it doesn't already), and that no one will download it, as it will say 0 seeders on thepiratebay.org (or whatever tracker he uses)

I would just like a second opinion from whoever has a good knowledge about this sort of thing, so i can show my dad the proof.

Thanks, fela

bufsabre666
June 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
i dont even attempt to download a torrent with less than 10 seeders unless it has like 1000 leeches

R_T_H
June 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
People would probably just go and find a different torrent, unless his is unique in its content. I know I would.

ghindo
June 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I agree with the OP's point of view. One should seed continuously until there's at least one more seeder, if not more.

fatality_uk
June 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
your perception is correct

fela
June 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
i dont even attempt to download a torrent with less than 10 seeders unless it has like 1000 leeches

why if it has more leeches should you be more willing to try and download it?

fela
June 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
your perception is correct

Exactly. I can show my dad now. Thanks for your replies all of you.

fela
June 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with the OP's point of view. One should seed continuously until there's at least one more seeder, if not more.

ok, i pretty much knew what i was talking about, just that my dad wasn't convinced. That's all.

fela
June 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
People would probably just go and find a different torrent, unless his is unique in its content. I know I would.

so would i. No one gets torrents that have 0 seeders.

bufsabre666
June 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM
why if it has more leeches should you be more willing to try and download it?

more people to get it from, the only thing i really download now are wrestling torrents and usually by the time i start downloading it theres 1 seeder and 500-1000 leeches, its because theres more people to get the data from, torrents dont work like gttp downloading which goes front to back of the file, torrenting goes in differnt segments of the files which arent sent in order, so all the leechers arent ganna have exactly the same data ((usually))

fela
June 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
more people to get it from, the only thing i really download now are wrestling torrents and usually by the time i start downloading it theres 1 seeder and 500-1000 leeches, its because theres more people to get the data from, torrents dont work like gttp downloading which goes front to back of the file, torrenting goes in differnt segments of the files which arent sent in order, so all the leechers arent ganna have exactly the same data ((usually))

that's true actually. I never took that into account, anyway, most of the torrents i see on thepiratebay.org have a more than double seed-to-leech ratio (also most of the torrents with 0 seeds also have 0 leeches).