PDA

View Full Version : web programming question.

hockey97
June 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM
How can you make a media player for a webpage like flash ect.

I am planning to make my own and What I want to do is make a media player for my website where it could play video and also music files. I would like to be able to play the popular video formats.

I just want to make a media player also the gui of the media player for only my website. I don't want to really make a full out application. Just like a web app.

How would you do this?

maddog39
June 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM
There is a bunch of things you could potentially do. There are embeddable video players just with HTML but that's not exactly ideal. There are also a couple (possibly more) open source flash video players. Although I don't know the specific names of any of those projects someone could probably pitch in with some, or you can just search around for them.

hockey97
June 7th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I will look around. I don't have a flash developers kit.

I am looking for somthing that legally I can use in a commercial way.

I need the gui of it to be custom, meaning I could create the looks of the interface.

maddog39
June 7th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Well look, if you are looking for something very modified or your own proprietary thing (not sanctioned) then you'll just have to go and pay for someone to develop it or develop it yourself. If you intend to modify the source code of one of these open source projects, depending on the license, it may be essentially illegal to use it for commercial use as you are required by some open source licenses to contribute back the code you modify. Effectively forcing your changes to become open source themselves. As far as simply getting and using an open source flash video player I presume you will not need to use any flash developer tools. However I really do not know as I haven't done anything in this arena before.

rabbitman
June 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
You could try Flowplayer (http://flowplayer.org/), it's an Open Source Flash Player that can be embedded in Websites & it's released under the GPL license.