PDA

View Full Version : Wubi influence

L815
June 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Do you think more distros are going to follow suit with the idea of Wubi; being able to install linux like any other app.

If there are ways to do this already let me know ;o

zmjjmz
June 7th, 2008, 04:45 AM
The Wubi technology isn't really anything new.
It's just an improvement.
Most distros seem to be heading towards LiveUSB, but I believe Wubi is a good idea too.

madjr
June 7th, 2008, 05:00 AM
not every distro is geared towards windows users like ubuntu is.

but anyone could adapt it to their needs

init1
June 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM
There's one for Debian, but I'm not sure if it's older or new than Wubi
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

init1
June 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Double post

toupeiro
June 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I, personally, am a fan of Wubi. I hope more distros go this way.

Paqman
June 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I hope it gets traction. I've noticed a certain amount of reluctance to recommend it from Ubuntu users, though. There's still a lot of confusion about it (a lot of people still think it's a VM) and even when dealing with very non-technical newbs in the Absolute Beginner's forum i'm still seeing a lot of people trying to throw these poor folk into the dark and murky waters of disk partitioning.

Partitioning is weird and scary if you've not done it before, and has real risks involved. I always recommend Wubi for nervous first-timers now. That's exactly who it's for.

I'm a little concerned about some reliability reports, but it's hard to quantify whether Wubi is causing any more borked new systems than we get from traditional installs. I know I totally reinstalled about three times in my first couple of months with Linux.

beanhead
June 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I used wubi because i was trying to down load the 8.04 iso and burn it in xp. I got Cannot read source code error. So i used the wubi and made a alternate install cd. Im saving a friends computer from the trash can. And in the process I decided I like xubuntu a lot. It wasnt a bad experience and disc management is something everyone should learn any way !

amar
June 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have had 3/3 successes with wubi. 2 on friends computers and one on my own. Whilst I did run into some trouble, the live cd had the same effect, so it wasn't wubi's fault.

All in all, I'm impressed

well done

macogw
June 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
There's one for Debian, but I'm not sure if it's older or new than Wubi
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

I'm pretty sure that actually partitions the drive and does a net install, while Wubi makes a disk image on the Windows partition.