PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu over existing XP from USB?

Pipps
June 7th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I currently have a faulty and heavily virus-ridden XP installation. No surprises there.

The machine also has no CD-ROM drive, as it stopped working a few weeks ago, and would need replacing. And I don't want to replace it, because the laptop is over five years old.

Now, I've been looking forward to stepping up to the next level with ubuntu for a long time now. And it seems like now would be the best time to do so!

I would like to take my current XP laptop and completely reformat it and install a fresh ubuntu on it. Due to the lack of CD-ROM, this would have to be done via USB. However, my laptop's ancient BIOS does not provide for a boot from a USB source. And everything is installed on just one partition on the 60Gb HD.

Is there any way that I could install ubuntu, and then remove the current XP installation, without any risk of my current XP problems interfering with the ubunutu installation?

Your help would be much appreciated. I would really like to start working with ubuntu. Thank you.