PDA

View Full Version : Myspace crashes Firefox.

autonomy
October 26th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I'm viewing my blog in one tab, viewing my friends in another, and clicking on "Subscribe to this blog" in the third tab, and poof, Firefox crashes, twice, or was that three times? On the other hand, this might be a Myspace problem like yesterday's when almost any link would log out a user. It's just that woman's profile. Any link, even closing the tab, crashes Firefox. http://profile.myspace.com/ (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=1063662&Mytoken=13C6D000-123F-ECCF-F0011187B437016F11386006)

benplaut
October 26th, 2005, 03:54 AM
yeah... it does that to my sister, too...

myspace causes problems...

Stormy Eyes
October 26th, 2005, 04:58 AM
From what I've heard, the guy behind myspace.com wouldn't know valid HTML if it challenged him to a duel.

TravisNewman
October 26th, 2005, 05:03 AM
yeah, more and more it seems that myspace is poorly designed.

They got too popular too quickly (though I had nothing to do with contributing to that ;)) and their design didn't catch up.

psychicdragon
October 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM
MySpace: A Place for Dolts (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/7/16/72023/9428)

The html that site generates is just a nightmare. So many nested tables. Usually my browser locks up for a minute or so while it struggles to load all the images, background music, avatars and other garbage on there.

If you want a blog, there are a lot of better options: Blogger, Xanga, or Livejournal immediately come to mind.

HungSquirrel
October 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Myspace is horrible, bloated crap...but no website should be able to crash a browser. If Firefox lets a page crash the app, it's not doing its job.

Myspace runs on IIS on Windows. Why is it every time I encounter poor web applications, they are run on IIS on Windows? Any correlation between developer skill and OS/webserver choice? :roll:

asimon
October 26th, 2005, 10:06 AM
No matter how bad and broken the html is, Firefox should never crash. It's just wrong and a bug in Firefox.

WildTangent
October 26th, 2005, 02:11 PM
As bad as myspace is with its horrible HTML, and...userbase, I must give credit to the creator...he probably makes a LOT of money off the ads.

-Wild

asimon
October 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Konqueror (3.4.92-0ubuntu1) crashes too.

Brunellus
October 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Myspace is just getting slammed with the load. They've gotten very popular, and now its new corporate overlords have decreed that it will also be a publicity pipe to the kids.

Whoever thought that it would be a good idea to let kids serve up movies on their myspace profiles should be hooked up to a clever device that increases the voltage of the electric shocks applied to him as the bandwidth demands on his servers grow. Half an hour of that, and he'll make the place so clean, it'll be viewable in lynx.

all that said: I use myspace, more as a means of keeping in touch with a bunch of local bands in my area, as anything else. and I don't serve up idiotic music or movies on my profile.

autonomy
October 26th, 2005, 11:59 PM
This profile crashes my Firefox because Totem isn't set up right. There's a video that requires a plug in, and everytime I need Totem to function as a Quicktime plug-in, Firefox crashes when I try to navigate away, including closing the tab.

trougnouf
November 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM
epiphany is not fast on myspace but its never crash ...

NeoChaosX
November 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I'm not suprised at MySpace being so poorly coded. It also doesn't help browser stability that half the users of that site have massive, obnoxious movie or music files embedded in their profiles.

It reminds me of saying a guy at a forum I hang out at said: "Compared to LiveJournal, [...] MySpace is the autistic cousin."