PDA

View Full Version : Why Switch to Ubuntu?

ARhere
June 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Most people I know, including myself, already had a reason to switch from Windows. Without going into political anti-Microsoft slander, what are some good reasons to tell someone why they should switch to Ubuntu from Windows if they think Windows meets their current needs.

NOTE#1: The target audience would be your mom. :lolflag: errm... someone non-geek that does not know of anything wrong with Windows.

NOTE#2: This is a follow up from this in-depth conversation (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818257).

ALSO: If you have convinced a non-geek/computer person to switch that is not related or dating/married you, please share how and why.

-AR

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Two words: Windows Vista :D

zmjjmz
June 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Bugs get fixed way faster
Free as in gratis and libre.
Developers benefit from OSS, and thus any benefit for the developers gets passed down to the users.

aysiu
June 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Nothing.

If they think Windows meets their needs, why convince them to switch to something else?

If, on the other hand, Windows doesn't meet their needs, they won't need much convincing to try something else.

Thanoulis
June 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Two words also:
1: GNU
2: It just works! (ok...this is not a single word...but it isn't fully true either...;))

LaRoza
June 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Most people I know, including myself, already had a reason to switch from Windows. Without going into political anti-Microsoft slander, what are some good reasons to tell someone why they should switch to Ubuntu from Windows if they think Windows meets their current needs.

NOTE#1: The target audience would be your mom. errm... someone non-geek that does not know of anything wrong with Windows.

NOTE#2: This is a follow up from this in-depth conversation (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818257).

ALSO: If you have convinced a non-geek/computer person to switch that is not related or dating/married you, please share how and why.

-AR

0. I can support Linux better and more willingly. This is a fact, if I am going to be helping them, they will be best served by using something I can use effectively. I can do Windows, but I don't like it, and there are some things I won't try to fix. I would set it up (I have done this) and get it configured to the point they don't have to do anything except mess with the theme if they want.

1. It is free and works better when configured.

I have gotten many people to use Linux/Ubuntu using the above. Show them it working, then make it work for them.

If they don't want to use it, I don't press it. However, I refuse to fix problems with pirated Windows and other software.

karellen
June 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM
if they are satisfied with Windows, why trying to convince them? it's not a religion or something; if the tool they have is enough for their needs, that's fine

perlluver
June 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
if they are satisfied with Windows, why trying to convince them? it's not a religion or something; if the tool they have is enough for their needs, that's fine

+1. I tried to get my Mom to use it, and she didn't like it. I put Windows back on her computer, and she loves it. On the other hand I had a friend, I showed it to her, how stable and fast it is, and she is still using it. She had Vista Basic, and she hated it. She fell in love with Pidgin, and the games. So, let people use what they feel comfortable with, don't force anything on them.

cardinals_fan
June 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Nothing.

If they think Windows meets their needs, why convince them to switch to something else?

If, on the other hand, Windows doesn't meet their needs, they won't need much convincing to try something else.
+1

If they like Windows, don't bother them. If they dislike Windows, then tell them about the customizability and stability of Linux.

Fedz
June 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
None of my family wanted to move to linux/ubuntu but, I did :-D

Now they honestly squirm at using Window$ :-D

It's down to what you're used too ... if someone can't work window$ and they are confronted with linux/ubuntu instead they'd get used to linux/ubuntu as they already find Window$ alien ;-)

My mid-teen daughter boasts about linux/ubuntu all the time at school and even has the ubuntu merchandise ;-)

aysiu
June 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
What's most painful is when Windows clearly isn't working people, but they refuse to look at alternatives.

"Better the devil you know" and all that.

The biggest barrier to a switch is often psychological rather than technological.

JurB
June 6th, 2008, 09:42 PM
"i won't have to fix your computer every two weeks"

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Well my husband was a difficult case, he was a dedicated windows user for years and he had that "if it works I wont switch" mentality.
But the constant issues with XP and its uncertain future are what prompted him to switch.
Now he used XP at home and at work and when I switched to linux he was dumbfounded.
But the constant spyware/ addware and virus scans were getting annoying for him.
Plus he paid so much to keep it stable and sturdy, but once he heard about vista and its demands then he considered switching to linux.
Vista has become my playing card for most windows users I know, most of them cant afford a new computer thanks to the economy being so crappy so they want to keep their current ones.
Vista is clunky by default, so most of them are using linux now thanks to Vista's BS.

ARhere
June 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Let me clarify. I am trying to answer the question as if someone (your non-computer mom) asked you, "Why should I ever switch from Windows to Ubuntu??" or "Why do you like Ubuntu so much?? (and you have to answer in a non-technical way)

If someone likes Windows, and does not see a reason to switch then stick to Windows. Just trying to find a good ice-breaker for people that don't already hate Windows but are curious and are not up to the latest political/computer news.

-AR

mrsteveman1
June 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM
First let me list some things that AREN'T reasons for normal users to switch to Linux in general:

GNU, completely irrelevant, most people don't know what it means, don't care, wouldn't care if you told them.

Freedom, normal users can't read C code, can't modify it even if they needed to, so the freedom to modify doesn't mean much. Vendor lock-in and unwanted features are another issue, F/OSS self corrects for unwanted features in code, people ignore it or fork.

Free of cost, most users are used to paying for things already, people like free stuff, but people in general, especially the demographic in question, would rather pay for a complete, finished system. Linux is not there right now, significant parts of Ubuntu don't "just work" at all, and in some cases non-techie users would become even MORE dependent on the local "linux guy" because certain tasks require hands on work by someone familiar with linux. The number of these cases is significantly lower even with Windows, I have no idea why Linux hasn't advanced in this respect but it hasn't.

Now on to things that most people really do care about:

Security, I can make a very good cases against Windows from an architectural standpoint and relate it directly to someones concerns and problems.

I've had a number of cases just recently where someones computer got infected with common windows malware, leading to significant downtime for the users computer. One case was a work system, Windows itself was at fault in this case, because it was XP, and NT5.1 is very poorly put together as a consumer OS. So this is one case where flaws in Windows that Microsoft built in themselves, led to exploitation and lost productivity. This user had antivirus installed, but anyone who's familiar with how Windows works internally and how AV works, knows that AV doesn't actually protect anything, it was worthless in this case.

Next easy case that could directly relate to a users problems would be stability, there are significant problems with 3rd party drivers on Vista, Nvidia was a significant cause of kernel panics on Vista and may still be a problem 1.5 years after Vista was released. You can easily convince someone who has lost work or time due to blue screens to consider something else. Now in this particular case Linux has an advantage because we have open source drivers for NV, even though they aren't complete at the moment, they are stable. This problem is made worse by the fact that drivers in vista weren't supposed to be running in the kernel, so why Nvidia would be causing a panic i don't know.

Basically to convince users to leave Windows, you have to show them that their own problems are CAUSED by windows, ranting about open source or the evil Microsoft doesn't mean a thing to most people.

Sadly, Ubuntu (and Linux in general) simply isn't at a point where I'm comfortable setting it up for someone and letting them go off on their own, because I've tried it before, and Ubuntu, even hardy, breaks in ways that require personal attention, leading to even more downtime. This in contrast to Windows where I can usually talk someone through fixing things over the phone in minutes, because its usually just a matter of walking through menus and changing something. So its a toss up, there is risk with windows, bad things MIGHT happen, but i know for a fact if Linux breaks there WILL be significant down time.

This is why i recommend a middle ground to most people, buy a Mac. It's not Windows, its not completely open source, it does have direct commercial support from the manufacturers of devices like printers, it isn't likely to have significant problems with malware any time soon, and if it breaks it seems to be easy to fix most of the time, even over the phone, even talking to someone who doesn't know what the 2nd mouse button does.

lisati
June 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Let me clarify. I am trying to answer the question as if someone (your non-computer mom) asked you, "Why should I ever switch from Windows to Ubuntu??" or "Why do you like Ubuntu so much?? (and you have to answer in a non-technical way)
+1: The non-technical people we're likely to meet sometimes don't get it. Earlier this year, I made some comment about Windows to my brother-in-law (who had Windows on his PC when I was still using an MS-DOS machine back in the 90s) - his reaction was something along the lines of "What's Windows?"

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
First let me list some things that AREN'T reasons for normal users to switch to Linux in general:

GNU, completely irrelevant, most people don't know what it means, don't care, wouldn't care if you told them.

Freedom, normal users can't read C code, can't modify it even if they needed to, so the freedom to modify doesn't mean much. Vendor lock-in and unwanted features are another issue, F/OSS self corrects for unwanted features in code, people ignore it or fork.

Free of cost, most users are used to paying for things already, people like free stuff, but people in general, especially the demographic in question, would rather pay for a complete, finished system. Linux is not there right now, significant parts of Ubuntu don't "just work" at all, and in some cases non-techie users would become even MORE dependent on the local "linux guy" because certain tasks require hands on work by someone familiar with linux. The number of these cases is significantly lower even with Windows, I have no idea why Linux hasn't advanced in this respect but it hasn't.

Now on to things that most people really do care about:

Security, I can make a very good cases against Windows from an architectural standpoint and relate it directly to someones concerns and problems.

I've had a number of cases just recently where someones computer got infected with common windows malware, leading to significant downtime for the users computer. One case was a work system, Windows itself was at fault in this case, because it was XP, and NT5.1 is very poorly put together as a consumer OS. So this is one case where flaws in Windows that Microsoft built in themselves, led to exploitation and lost productivity. This user had antivirus installed, but anyone who's familiar with how Windows works internally and how AV works, knows that AV doesn't actually protect anything, it was worthless in this case.

Next easy case that could directly relate to a users problems would be stability, there are significant problems with 3rd party drivers on Vista, Nvidia was a significant cause of kernel panics on Vista and may still be a problem 1.5 years after Vista was released. You can easily convince someone who has lost work or time due to blue screens to consider something else. Now in this particular case Linux has an advantage because we have open source drivers for NV, even though they aren't complete at the moment, they are stable. This problem is made worse by the fact that drivers in vista weren't supposed to be running in the kernel, so why Nvidia would be causing a panic i don't know.

Basically to convince users to leave Windows, you have to show them that their own problems are CAUSED by windows, ranting about open source or the evil Microsoft doesn't mean a thing to most people.

Sadly, Ubuntu (and Linux in general) simply isn't at a point where I'm comfortable setting it up for someone and letting them go off on their own, because I've tried it before, and Ubuntu, even hardy, breaks in ways that require personal attention, leading to even more downtime. This in contrast to Windows where I can usually talk someone through fixing things over the phone in minutes, because its usually just a matter of walking through menus and changing something. So its a toss up, there is risk with windows, bad things MIGHT happen, but i know for a fact if Linux breaks there WILL be significant down time.

This is why i recommend a middle ground to most people, buy a Mac. It's not Windows, its not completely open source, it does have direct commercial support from the manufacturers of devices like printers, it isn't likely to have significant problems with malware any time soon, and if it breaks it seems to be easy to fix most of the time, even over the phone, even talking to someone who doesn't know what the 2nd mouse button does.

That is mostly FUD in my opinion, linux can work out of the box if given the chance.
But then again you work for a company that is very pro microsoft...

FyreBrand
June 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Nothing.

If, on the other hand, Windows doesn't meet their needs, they won't need much convincing to try something else.+1

What's most painful is when Windows clearly isn't working people, but they refuse to look at alternatives.

The biggest barrier to a switch is often psychological rather than technological.I've found this to be the crux. I work in a Microsoft shop and most of the developers psychological attachment to XP is why they stick with it and not because they have a sense of what works best for them. They love to make Vista cracks or poohpah the idea of using Vista on their development boxes. They turn absolutely ghostly and stammer when I bring up writing .NET code that will run multiplatform. They have serious mindset against and crazy ideas about a Linux OS.

Well my husband was a difficult case, he was a dedicated windows user for years and he had that "if it works I wont switch" mentality.
But the constant issues with XP and its uncertain future are what prompted him to switch.
Now he used XP at home and at work and when I switched to linux he was dumbfounded.
But the constant spyware/ addware and virus scans were getting annoying for him.
Plus he paid so much to keep it stable and sturdy, but once he heard about vista and its demands then he considered switching to linux.
Vista has become my playing card for most windows users I know, most of them cant afford a new computer thanks to the economy being so crappy so they want to keep their current ones.
Vista is clunky by default, so most of them are using linux now thanks to Vista's BS.I haven't found Vista to be clunky at all. I run it on my new laptop and my older Pentium D desktop. I find that aysiu's assessment of preconceived notions and a narrow-mindedness that people won't look at alternatives to be a greater deciding factor. People see what doesn't work in something they don't want to see working. We still see a lot of "Ubuntu (or some Linux distro) doesn't work for me because.... blah blah blah <insert reason they were looking for it not to work>" threads. That's why I usually advocate people use what makes them feel comfy. In my opinion the software and/or OS shouldn't really be the focus of use, but how and what it accomplishes for you. If you are operating frustration free, or nearly so, then you'll be more efficient regardless of the technology.

blonde-wanna-be
June 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
i want too but cant wont let me partition

ShodanjoDM
June 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Nothing.

For me, financially speaking, I have much more important needs to meet than buying a legal copy of Windows and a legal copy of MS Office to have a basic functioning PC.

There was a moral dilemma, when I was still using pirated copies of practically every softwares on my computer. And actually I began to save money to gradually replace them with legit ones.

And then came Vista. And it's price tag. And the "necessary upgrades" of MS Office. And better, newer hardware specs, etc etc... In no way I can afford a legitimate computing - Microsoft style.

Just what I need to made a switch.

Now whenever a friend asks me why I'm using Linux, I tell him/her: "I don't want my future children justify stealing, how about you?"

agamotto
June 7th, 2008, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=ARhere;5130280]Most people I know, including myself, already had a reason to switch from Windows. Without going into political anti-Microsoft slander, what are some good reasons to tell someone why they should switch to Ubuntu from Windows if they think Windows meets their current needs.

The joy of not having 15 programs trying to load when you hit the power button. No need to update a firewall/antivirus program every other day. Having multiple 'screens' available to switch between programs at the flick of a mouse gesture or keyboard shortcut.

LaRoza
June 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM

The biggest barrier to a switch is often psychological rather than technological.

I have seen the most odd case of that. I know someone who isn't computer literate, uses only the basic functions of office software, and doesn't use any software that doesn't have an alternative that has all the features on Linux. That isn't any reason to switch, however, the confusing part is that he hates corporations with a passion and only goes to stores that are local when he can. Yet he cannot allow himself to hate Microsoft (used to use the justification there was no alternative, and Apple was just as bad as a corporation) and this "Linux" seems to cause an uncomfortable silence.

Bubba64
June 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Nothing.

I have never owned a computer that runs on windows and only use it when forced to use a computer at the college I attend or at a nonprofit I volunteer for. There seems to be a lot of trepidation from starting on a MS set up then try to figure out Linux software. Which if I can learn it from not having any experience any body can, it just takes a lot of patience due to having such a large control over your personal setup to easily boink it. I use this post as a quote because it is a good one, why try to convince anyone of anything if somebody wants to look past there own set of needs, uses or dogma they will ask you for help, it is then that your most effective.

AndyCooll
June 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Nothing.

...moral dilemma, when I was still using pirated copies of practically every softwares on my computer. And actually I began to save money to gradually replace them with legit ones.

+1 to the above.

:cool:

pt123
June 7th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Not worrying about Spyware, viruses. With Windows you are so paranoid. I used to format my computer every 6 months.

Programs are installed much more cleanly in Linux, with Windows craps gets left over the place.

Windows GUI is very ugly and cluttered, while with Gnome it is a neater and cleaner like the Mac.

XP hasn't been updated in 7 years with Linux there are updates every 6 months. It is more exciting.

The apps in Linux are integrated much better with the OS than in Windows.

MYSql, Apache, PHP are billion times more easy to manage than in Windows. Esp. upgrading.

BASH & DBUS & Python are amazing with apps. like Gnome-Do & Conky & Tomboy you can automate and execute things easier.

Then there is mounting, which is fabulous.

Compiz Fusion, very stable on 8.04

With Windows the number good free Apps have reduced, they mostly have a Lite version & Full paid version.

MythTV - the more I use it, the more I am amazed with it's capabilities. You don't get stuff like this on Windows.

Have your tried installing Zim Wiki on Windows what a nightmare.

aysiu
June 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Programs are installed much more cleanly in Linux, with Windows craps gets left over the place. Not exactly true. Plenty of config files get left after you uninstall with Synaptic or apt-get

With Windows the number good free Apps have reduced, they mostly have a Lite version & Full paid version. I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

There are plenty of open source apps that are cross-platform and available for Windows:
http://www.opensourcewindows.org

pt123
June 7th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Not exactly true. Plenty of config files get left after you uninstall with Synaptic or apt-get
They are usually left in the user's home directory.

There are plenty of open source apps that are cross-platform and available for Windows:
http://www.opensourcewindows.org
But those one's are basically OS independent. Few years back Freeware was quite popular on Windowss (i.e. Windows only apps).
You had sites like this
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm (which has been dead since 2004)
which used to compile a comprehensive listing and ranking of Freeware apps.
You will find that a good portion of apps there have stopped being developed or have gone the pro & lite route.

LaRoza
June 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Not exactly true. Plenty of config files get left after you uninstall with Synaptic or apt-get

But they aren't lost in that mess called the "registry" and they aren't spread about.

(And it is easy to delete/backup the Linux config settings, although this isn't always realised by a new user)

Sealbhach
June 7th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I think this has got some good arguments:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

But with Ubuntu, you appreciate it the more you use it.

I've only been using it about a month but last night, I was reading a forum post that mentioned a webcam app called "cheese".

I did:

sudo apt-get install cheese

in the terminal and in less than a minute I was using it.

No searching for a download site, no checking for the right version, paying a license fee, running install wizard etc etc.

tuebinger
June 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I am not going to try to sell anyone on Ubuntu because of the steep learning curve I had to go through with it. On the other hand, I think I got my Mom curious about it in a round=about way.

She's always complaining about how slow her computer is, and I explained to her how Windows slows down over time becaue the hard-drive gets defragmented, and that every new version of a Windows program demands even more resources from her system. Then I told her that in 2009 Microsoft will stop supporting XP and she will have to upgrade to Vista. That caught her attention because she's heard so many horror stories about vista.

She asked me to bring over my laptop so she could take a look at it. We spent about two hours looking at my photos with F-Spot, I showed her how GIMP works, and she was very interested in Open Office and liked how it was very similar to her beloved Microsoft Office. I think overall she was impressed... not enough to give up on Windows, yet. But in 2009... maybe??

Anyway, the two big selling points for her would be GIMP and Open Office, plus the fact that it's all free. I've tried to tell her how much more stable Linux is than Windows, but I think that's lost on her. she just wants to be able to do her email, surf the web, manipulate photos, and print her mailing labels. As long as she can do all that I think she would be happy.

SunnyRabbiera
June 7th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I haven't found Vista to be clunky at all.

well I have, its aero that gives it its clunkyness.
I have tried to work with vista, but really its no improvement over XP... its worse.

mrsteveman1
June 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
That is mostly FUD in my opinion, linux can work out of the box if given the chance.
But then again you work for a company that is very pro microsoft...

Not really, I'm speaking from experience, I've seen Ubuntu break on people, people who don't know how to fix it. And these specific cases are things that shouldn't have caused such a problem.

by the way, i don't work for Cisco itself, CCNA is an industry certification for working on routers and other equipment. So thats not some kind of bias on my part.

_DD_
June 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
well I have, its aero that gives it its clunkyness.
I have tried to work with vista, but really its no improvement over XP... its worse.

I actually didn't find Vista too slow or clunky on my hardware. But that's the point, you can't always be upgrading hardware and expect everyone to be running the latest stuff.

On the other hand, Aero isn't exactly special. You can get better effects in Linux on much older hardware.

mrsteveman1
June 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
The real advantage of Aero is the DWM they use now, which is a compositing window manager. The flashy crap is cool yes, just like compiz is cool, but the compositing window manager is the real advance just like on Linux.

danbuter
June 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Lots of free, easy to get programs. The Ubuntu repos are really, really nice.
8.04 works great on most laptops out of the box.

ARhere
June 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Good News!

A local computer store, Nine Tech Computers (formally T-9 computers), agreed to start selling pre-loaded computers with the agreement that I will help him for a minimal of one year so he has time to get used to it. His goals are to sell more computers to customers that might be turned off by higher priced Windows, then make money off support calls.

He let me pick out hardware from his shop to build an Ubuntu Demo machine which I am due to deliver next Saturday. I also agreed to supply him with CD's, customer support information, and marketing materials.

He is going to put the Ubuntu machine next to a Vista machine and let customers play with both. I did not know this, but he told me his decisions was based on a small following that check his shop every few months for the latest Ubuntu CD's that I have been providing.

I loaded the PC with 8.04 and installed some Ubuntu advertizement videos, Return to Castle Wolfenstein game under WINE, and lots of colorful links to these forums and other support pages. I am really happy to see a difference from a little effort.

I think this has got some good arguments:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/ ...

I could kiss you, I was looking for something like this as one of my information links.

-AR