PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Linux and need some help.

TimmyR41
June 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
i am attempting to go to a linux operating system in an effort to resurrect a 7 year old dell desktop and i'm having some problems. first off i am totally new to anything linux. i figured it would be worth a try to see if i could get a little life back in my old computer before i go and buy a new one. i read some stuff on pcworld and it led me to believe that for a beginner in linux ubuntu was the way to go. so i downloaded the image and burnt it onto a cd. i tried the live cd version on my computer here at work and was quite impressed. i was very excited to take it home and do a full install on my personal computer but when i went to do the install i get an error stating that the installer requires 256 of ram. so i checked out my computer stats just to be sure that i remember what i had in the computer correctly.

my computer is a:
dell desktop (i forget what model number)
256 mb of ram
pentium 3 1ghz
it has a relatively wimpy graphics card. if i remember correctly it is a 64 mb
i have 2 hard drives installed. a 60 gig and an 80 gig. the 60 gig contains only my current operating system (windows xp pro) as well as my other programs(office pro 2003 is probably the biggest one)
i also have a sony dvd drive and a sony dvd burner

any thoughts as to why the installer won't detect my 256 mb of ram?

my computer has been runing at a dreadfully slow speed for a little over a year now and nothing i have done has been able to fix it. fortunatly in the past i have been able to use my parents computer but i just bought a house and will be moving out at the end of the month so its either time to buy a new one or figure something out with this one. thanks in advance for any help i get.

avtolle
June 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'd suggest you consider checking your RAM to see if you have any memory faults there. If this checks out, then I'd suggest you consider downloading the alternate iso for installation purposes, or downloading xubuntu, as it is a bit less resource intensive, and giving it a try. Just some thoughts.

django0909
June 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hardy Heron, 8.04 has a minimum sys spec of 64mb of RAM, so it must just be the installer that requires 256mb. Someone else will probably have a better idea, but I'd suggest giving Xubuntu or Kubuntu a whirl.

Duck2006
June 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Your ram may be shot, Can you run mem test from the live CD?
If that works out ok then maybe you should try xubuntu.

GOROSSI
June 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Have you tried changing the Memory module? it could be faulty if you machine is slow anyway a 256mb module would be preatty cheap

sayakb
You need the Alternate ISO for a text mode install. You need atleast 384MB of RAM for the LiveCD to work.
For lighter distributions, Try Fluxbuntu or OzOs.

wolfen69
try xubuntu alternate. http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/8.04/release/xubuntu-8.04-alternate-i386.iso with only 256ram, regular ubuntu will probably be too slow.

Twitch6000
June 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Well if your ram has no defects either try the ubuntu alternative cd or xbuntu.Or if you like your ram barely touched and still a easy computer use debain stable.

dixonstalbert
June 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Ubuntu will be a little slow with 256 RAM but should install and run without a problem.

**my mistake- LiveCD requires 384MB to run** I forgot that I used a text based installer last I did this on an older computer.

this is from the release notes at:

http://http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804 (//http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804)

System Requirements

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 8.04 is 384MB of memory for desktop CDs, and 256MB for other installation methods. (Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used for the graphics card.)

TimmyR41
June 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
so it sounds like xubuntu is going to be the way to go for me either way. there are a few basic tasks i do on my computer at home. i browse the internet, i do some basic word processing and on occasion i will work from home using logmein.com and outlook webmail as well as some online company sites.

i wasn't able to get the computer to boot up in ubuntu at all. i placed the ubuntu disk in the drive and restarted my computer but it did not boot into ubuntu. then i used the option that reads "help me boot from cd" and i got the same installer requires 256mb of memory error.

on a side note i am quite impressed with how quickly my question was answered. far better than any tech support i have experienced in the past. i'm liking this much better allready and i don't even have it up and running on my computer yet.

beanhead
June 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ok here is your down load page for xubuntu

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/8.04/release/

make sure to get the alternate cd download.

The alternate CD only needs 32 megs of ram as it is a text based installer.

I think you might have missed what Linux is innovation was telling you.