PDA

View Full Version : [other] 3 Dimensional Kernel Crash



markekeller
June 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I use Linux Mint, a varient of Ubuntu based on Gutsy. A few weeks ago I installed the proprietary ATI graphics drivers, so as to get good 3D acceleration, from here (http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html). The first thing I tried to test whether acceleration worked was Blob and Conquer, a 3D game. It did work, so I played it for a while - and then it crashed. Not just the game, because Ctrl-Alt-Backspace did nothing, and not just X, either, because Alt-SysRq-B did nothing either: the whole kernel went down, I think. At first I thought this was something with the graphics driver, but after a while I decided it was merely a bug in Blob and Conquer, because it didn't happen with other 3D games, and even in Blob, it only seemed to happen when I had other programs open at the same time.

But then I downloaded the new version of Blender - and it does the same thing! Not only when I run other programs at the same time as it, either, and much more often than with Blob.

This is, I think now, some problem related to my graphics driver/kernel/whatever. The whole computer freezes, at seemingly random times, while running either Blob and Conquer or Blender. I have a Radeon 9600 card, with kernel version 2.6.22 and Gnome 2.20.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? And does anyone know how I can fix it? I'd really like to be able to use Blender in Linux.

markekeller
June 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Anyone?

markekeller
June 7th, 2008, 01:05 AM
So . . . have you ever encountered something like this before?

Xerp
June 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Not me. Try installing the ATI driver again using Envy. Also, check /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog.

markekeller
June 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Good tip. I looked through both those files, and in /var/log/messages, I found this:


Jun 5 03:02:41 kellerboys -- MARK --
Jun 5 03:16:15 kellerboys kernel: [33240.447426] [fglrx] interrupt source 10000000 successfully disabled!
Jun 5 03:16:15 kellerboys kernel: [33240.447436] [fglrx] enable ID = 0x00000000
Jun 5 03:16:15 kellerboys kernel: [33240.447440] [fglrx] Receive disable interrupt message with irqEnableMask: 10000000; dwIRQEnableId: 00000005
Jun 5 03:16:15 kellerboys kernel: [33240.447760] [fglrx] interrupt source 20008000 successfully disabled!
Jun 5 03:16:15 kellerboys kernel: [33240.447763] [fglrx] enable ID = 0x00000000
Jun 5 03:16:15 kellerboys kernel: [33240.447766] [fglrx] Receive disable interrupt message with irqEnableMask: 20008000; dwIRQEnableId: 00000004
Jun 5 03:16:20 kellerboys exiting on signal 15
Jun 5 09:16:41 kellerboys syslogd 1.4.1#21ubuntu3: restart.

That must be it. I'll do a little searching around and see if I can find what's causing this . . .