PDA

View Full Version : Need to get dad a laptop by Father's Day (June 15)

herbster
June 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hey folks, I was going to grab a laptop from Dell, but there's no way it would arrive by the 15th, so I'm back to square one.

I have never owned a laptop, so can you guys recommend some online places perhaps or what to look for? I'm hoping for a Core2 Duo or even an AMD dual core, at least 2gb ram and internal bluetooth, the rest is not important (hard drive could be tiny, burner is optional, etc.). I just want him to have a fast comp as he's never had a decent one.

Budget is ~$700 if that's possible. TIA for any help.

billgoldberg
June 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
What wrong with just getting a laptop from the shop?

I wouldn't dream about buying my pc online.

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hey folks, I was going to grab a laptop from Dell, but there's no way it would arrive by the 15th, so I'm back to square one.

I have never owned a laptop, so can you guys recommend some online places perhaps or what to look for? I'm hoping for a Core2 Duo or even an AMD dual core, at least 2gb ram and internal bluetooth, the rest is not important (hard drive could be tiny, burner is optional, etc.). I just want him to have a fast comp as he's never had a decent one.

Budget is ~$700 if that's possible. TIA for any help.

1) Go to Bestbuy or some place like that
2) Buy an HP. Not a Dell.

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
1) Go to Bestbuy or some place like that
2) Buy an HP. Not a Dell.
That's a good idea, except for the HP part.

I will NEVER buy an HP computer after my brother's experience. I have a Dell now.....it's "ok". I loved my old Toshiba laptop.

You may also check Dell kiosks in the malls. They may be able to get a computer faster than ordering it online and maybe you can still use those awesome Dell coupons that are available online everywhere.

Would he be a Linux guy? If so, you can consider the Dell/Ubuntu PCs or possibly the new Acer computers with Linux (though not sure if they're available yet).

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
That's a good idea, except for the HP part.

I will NEVER buy an HP computer after my brother's experience. I have a Dell now.....it's "ok". I loved my old Toshiba laptop.

You may also check Dell kiosks in the malls. They may be able to get a computer faster than ordering it online and maybe you can still use those awesome Dell coupons that are available online everywhere.

Dell kiosks no longer exists- go to the same best buy.

I wouldn't suggest Dell's for Vista though- there are completely useless together. In my exp. HP's run Vista the best. They are number 1 in sales right now, and place above Dell in quality. Not to mention they look nicer than Dell's...

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Dell kiosks no longer exists- go to the same best buy.

I wouldn't suggest Dell's for Vista though- there are completely useless together. In my exp. HP's run Vista the best. They are number 1 in sales right now, and place above Dell in quality. Not to mention they look nicer than Dell's...

Could be true....the Dell I have that is fairly new came with Vista and it was a horrible combination. I got rid it after a month and went back to XP, then baptized myself in Ubuntu on a dual boot.

My experience with HP was a horrible computer and then the WORST customer service ever. My brother spent months and $100's of dollars of long distance phone calls to tech support over about a 4 month period for a computer that was BRAND NEW. It took 4 months before they finally RMA'd it and sent him a new computer.

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Could be true....the Dell I have that is fairly new came with Vista and it was a horrible combination. I got rid it after a month and went back to XP, then baptized myself in Ubuntu on a dual boot.

My experience with HP was a horrible computer and then the WORST customer service ever. My brother spent months and $100's of dollars of long distance phone calls to tech support over about a 4 month period for a computer that was BRAND NEW. It took 4 months before they finally RMA'd it and sent him a new computer.

Ughh yeah you are right, they have bad customer service. Dell's is not any better though- my brother had a Dell that was DOA, so he sent ti back. 2 months later he got a REFURBISHED computer that was also DOA, then another one which its memory stick slots and DVD drive didnt work on, and finally after 6 months got a good computer, still refurbished.

Not too mention Dell is in a lawsuit right now for fraud.

herbster
June 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I was figuring Best Buy, just thought I'd put it out there if someone knew of a deal or anything.

I think I'll be getting this one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10103961&catid=25253#

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Ughh yeah you are right, they have bad customer service. Dell's is not any better though- my brother had a Dell that was DOA, so he sent ti back. 2 months later he got a REFURBISHED computer that was also DOA, then another one which its memory stick slots and DVD drive didnt work on, and finally after 6 months got a good computer, still refurbished.

Not too mention Dell is in a lawsuit right now for fraud.

That doesn't much surprise me either. I wasn't "leaping" at the chance to get a Dell. I've always used Dells at work and had mixed success.

I've heard more bad stories about them than good, and after I ordered mine from them online, I saw how HORRIBLE their reputation was for online computers (rated like 1/10 most places) I was terrified. I got lucky that at least mine was 100% functional (if you can call Vista that).

The only reason I did it was with the Dell coupon, I couldn't pass up the price. the laptop specs I got were about $1300-1500 for every other brand, but I got a $400 coupon putting my cost at just under $1000.

Yeah, I was figuring Best Buy, just thought I'd put it out there if someone knew of a deal or anything.

I think I'll be getting this one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10103961&catid=25253#

When I had to buy a new one recently (and I was in a hurry because I was without a computer), I found this website a great resource not only for research, but deals. They have a whole subforum for current specials.

http://www.notebookreview.com/

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Nooooooooooooooo! I have an Acer Aspire, only about a year old, and its horrible!!!!!! For Vista especially- and it will never run Ubuntu as well as Ubuntu should.

herbster
June 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hmmm, I'm checking the site KingTermite, thanks.

How about this one? http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10098585&catid=25253&PCName=laptop%5Funder%5F799&logon=&langid=EN

I can't seem to find this exact one on the notebookreviews site, but very similar ones. They seem solid.

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hmmm, I'm checking the site KingTermite, thanks.

How about this one? http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10098585&catid=25253&PCName=laptop%5Funder%5F799&logon=&langid=EN

I can't seem to find this exact one on the notebookreviews site, but very similar ones. They seem solid.

Looks pretty solid to me.

I couldn't find exact model either, but I did find a review for Sonay Vaio N-series. Looks to be in that series or very close.

Review seems favorable
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3426&review=Sony+VAIO+N

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Looks pretty solid to me.

I couldn't find exact model either, but I did find a review for Sonay Vaio N-series. Looks to be in that series or very close.

Review seems favorable
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3426&review=Sony+VAIO+N

ughh dnt get a Sony either. they have a history of exploding batteries, poor warranties, spyware on their computers, and super integrated DRM and right's management sort of stuff.

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
ughh dnt get a Sony either. they have a history of exploding batteries, poor warranties, spyware on their computers, and super integrated DRM and right's management sort of stuff.

You're just going to get annoyed if he doesn't choose anything but the HP you suggested are you?

herbster
June 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hehe, well no worries, I'm headed to the store shortly to try it out, just called them and they have a couple open-boxed, so 5% off on top isn't too shabby if it's good. Will check some other ones out too. I have a friend who has a Sony Vaio, but a real high-end model, just got off the phone after remembering he owns one and he's had it for over a year with zero complaints.

The help is really appreciated dudes!! My dad has never had a decent computer to enjoy, so this is a pretty important purchase.

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I would suggest this puppy:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10100103&catid=25253&logon=&langid=EN

My grandfather just bought one- the day he bought it, he let it drop 3 ft onto concrete, and it hasnt phased it a bit.

Fedz
June 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Get a HP lappy with Intel hardware. Not the very latest one but, one that's been around 6+ months.

Are you planning on having Linux/Ubuntu and or Window$ as OS?

Tyler H
June 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
A couple months ago I ordered a Dell Vostro 1000 for 450 shipped. I believe it got here in about 1.5 weeks due to the fact that I didn't choose the preconfigured system, which ships faster. I'm completely satisfied with the bang-for-buck factor.

As for Dell's tech support, they are not to be trusted AT ALL. Many, many, bad and shady experiences have taught me this.

Dell = good quality, bad customer service.

If you do go with the Vostro 1000 (Athlon x2, broadcom 1395) I can post the complete guide to get Hardy running flawlessly on it.

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
You're just going to get annoyed if he doesn't choose anything but the HP you suggested are you?

haha Dell's are ok, but not with Vista. I am not annoyed, I just hate seeing people buy things that later on wont be that good...

herbster
June 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
That HP is nice but is kind of stretching it price-wise, the Sony I can get even more of a discount on so it'll be about $700 total, which is the budget.

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM
That HP is nice but is kind of stretching it price-wise, the Sony I can get even more of a discount on so it'll be about $700 total, which is the budget.

Well I guarantee that a lower spec computer even from Acer would be better. Sony's are worthless.

wootah
June 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure from where you guys are located, but Dell in/for Canada seems to be quite good. My friend ordered a Dell laptop and it was a painless experience. Arrived very quickly and on time and she had no issues ordering. The laptop it self is very good and works very well with Linux minus the Broadcom wireless drivers (which have been sorted out now) even thought she still runs XP Pro. The laptop itself has had two failures:

1) The plug to the computer of the power adapter broke (it split), but that doesn't surprise me as she is very rough with her machine. Regardless, that has always been an issue for quite a few of the Dell laptops. (My other friend had a laptop that he had to 'prop' up the power cord into the laptop to get it to work properly). She called Dell and they shipped her a packing box to send her power adapter to them and got a new one in around 3-4 days. That seems very reasonable to me.

2) She had a rather serious issue with the video card that caused BSODs along with green, square artifacts on her screen when it was actually running. Again, whether or not this was poor manufacturing or her constantly dropping her laptop/throwing it on to her bed and sometimes hitting the wall, is not known. Regardless of the fault, she was on the phone for about 45 minutes troubleshooting with the tech. (who was very knowledgeable and not a script kid) and they determined that it was the video card (she already knew as she looked up the KB for the STOP code she had) which in turn they shipped her another packing box. Whatever they did, (not sure cause I didn't ask) they fixed the laptop and had it returned in 3 days.

So I don't know about the rest of you (whether or not you have actually had bad experience, or if you are just repeating what you have heard), but Dell up here in Canada is quite good. I, for one, can accept the delays that they introduced (shipping, on the phone tech. troubleshooting, etc) and I believe they are in tolerance.

Mind you, I am not advocating that you get a Dell--I think you should try the machine (if you can get to a store) and read the reviews about the particular machine in question. If you are concerned, get a warranty, but make sure the warranty fully meets your needs and you understand to the letter what it is that you get with the warranty and what you don't get.

It seems a lot of people on this thread are not looking at this from an objective point of view, but rather they are using their subjective ideas of what a brand is and is not. If it works for you and you like it, don't bother listening to others. If a laptop doesn't 'work well with Vista', fine. Remove it and put XP on it. If it comes pre-installed with 'spyware/adware', fine, remove it. The software doesn't make the laptop.

I find it very hard to believe that a whole company doesn't make a single good laptop. Personally, I just bought a laptop for a friend similar to this (Futureshop Link for HP T5550 (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10100019&CMP=BAC-FS_hbad_t1_s1-EN)) and it works great--even with Ubuntu. KingTermite above said he would never buy an HP laptop after his brother's experience. That's really unfortunate, because that laptop that I mentioned is a great laptop and I would recommend it to others. Just because you have one bad experience with a group of tech support people or bad hardware in one model, does not discredit the entire company or its line of computers/equipment.

My two cents. To the op, use your own judgment and try the laptops out that fit your needs.
</rant>

herbster
June 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Good post wootah, yes it all comes down to your own needs. Getting recommendations is good but of course one must take 'em with a grain of salt most of the time as people rarely differentiate between aspects of the purchase, just rendering the whole thing "bad" for one thing or what have you...

I just got back from the store, really like this one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10100204&catid=25254

Bigger screen for pops, think he would really like it. Solid specs and only $649.99. Unless Compaq is sacrificing squirrels or something I should know? ;)

acelin
June 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Good post wootah, yes it all comes down to your own needs. Getting recommendations is good but of course one must take 'em with a grain of salt most of the time as people rarely differentiate between aspects of the purchase, just rendering the whole thing "bad" for one thing or what have you...

I just got back from the store, really like this one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10100204&catid=25254

Bigger screen for pops, think he would really like it. Solid specs and only $649.99. Unless Compaq is sacrificing squirrels or something I should know? ;)

Better. I like this one! Compaq's are nice- my dad uses this exact model everyday with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and it works like a charm even with Vista.

EDIT: Don't worry about price- it used to 900 bucks! So its a good lappy.

wootah
June 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM

This seems alright for your specific purposes. Personally, I wouldn't get it (it doesn't meet my needs, :)) I would try and find a faster processor. But if your dad has an old machine, any upgrade is noticeable :)

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM

That looks like a great 'puter for the old man. I think the 17" will definitely be better. The specs/price ratio is pretty good too. Great bundle for the $$.

gameryoshi600
June 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
what operating system does he want?
you should go to best buy or any other computer store and get one there.

herbster
June 7th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Went with my sister to grab it just now, it's done :) Thanks a ton to all of you for your help, it's much appreciated... I know pop's gonna be stoked! :D

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Went with my sister to grab it just now, it's done :) Thanks a ton to all of you for your help, it's much appreciated... I know pop's gonna be stoked! :D

Nice!

KingTermite
June 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Excellent! I'm sure he'll love it!

Scientia
June 7th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Yeah, HPs and Sonys are sort of overloaded and overpriced.. Dells are great all rounders.

Hope your Dad loves it :)