PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Install Java EE SDK on Ubuntu

I3ritnay
June 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I have an Ubuntu linux machine, and am trying to install the Java EE SDK. I don't have gnome on this machine, so to get the SDK on there I used two methods: ftp and flash drive.

I put the bin file (from the download) in the usr/local folder just because. In that directory, I tried the following ways to run/execute the bin file:

(Before hand, I chomod +x the file)

1) ./path/to/java/ee/sdk

Error: Unable to execute ./path/to/java/ee/sdk: No such file or directory
(makes no sense because I can ls in that directory and I see the bin file)

2) sh ./path/to/java/ee/sdk

Error: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

3) /path/to/java/ee/sdk
(just typing filename)

Error: Command not found

4) /usr/local/path/to/java/ee/sdk

Error: Command not found

------

I tried many other things, that I can't remember or list. I cannot apt-get install the file because the java_ee_sdk is not in the repository. Maybe there is a way to add it or find a source? So, I had to get it off java.sun.com on another computer. I've tried this on two different machines, with two different versions of Ubuntu Linux, and received the same error, so I am not really sure what is going on here.

I3ritnay
June 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry,

I meant chmod and the 2nd command should be:

2) sh path/to/java/ee/sdk

Thanks.

jamesstansell
June 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi,

A lot of the parts of the SDK are available in the ubuntu repositories, but it's good for a developer to be able to make use of the packaging and installation instructions from Sun too.

You say that you did a chmod +x on the file, but I don't see that you ever mentioned the filename. Sun mostly names their files either .bin or .sh.

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp lists a bunch of different downloads. The one I'll look at is the plain one that showed on this page when I clicked the download button:

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=java_ee_sdk-5_05-nojdk-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

The downloade filename for this is java_ee_sdk-5_05-linux-nojdk.bin but it's curious that I'm not seeing any installation instructions on Sun's JavaEE pages.

I would try creating a new directory to install the SDK to, putting the file in it and then running these commands:

$ cd /path/to/directory
$ /bin/sh ./java_ee_sdk-5_05-linux-nojdk.bin

You will likely need to have Java already installed first. If you have one of the other downloads you should substitue the name of the file above.

Quique67
May 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have a similar problem.

I receive the following error

root@enrique-desktop:~# ./java_ee_sdk-5_07-linux-ml.bin
./java_ee_sdk-5_07-linux-ml.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root@enrique-desktop:~#

What is this error?

eugen_nicoara
November 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hi,

This one worked for me:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.8 libstdc++.so.5

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=136&threadID=5295337

Cheers!