PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft sends me letters :D

Delever
June 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Well, I subscribed to them long time ago. But having got rid of Vista and breathing fresh air, they sound like call back to the hell :D

Only title and some paragraph, newest first:

TechNet Flash: Special Edition: Why should you upgrade to Windows Vista?

Windows Vista now supports more than 77,000 printers, cameras, speakers and other devices.
More than 2,700 software programs are “Certified for” or “Works with” Windows Vista-logoed; 97 of the top 100 consumer applications are compatible.
62% of small businesses said Windows Vista saves them time, and 70% said it makes them more productive, according to an independent survey.
More than 140 million copies of Windows Vista have been sold, making it the fastest selling operating system in Microsoft history. Even Macs run it.
71 percent of Windows Vista customers like it better than their last operating system.
People familiar with Windows Vista are two to three times more likely to have a favorable impression of it.
Every 10 PCs that switch to Windows Vista is the equivalent of taking an automobile off the road, in terms of greenhouse gases.

MSDN Flash - Why Develop for Windows Vista?

Windows Vista is more than beautiful graphics and a new user interface. By taking advantage of new features in Windows Vista, your applications will stand out as engaging, comprehensive, and more secure. Here's a detailed list of reasons for why you should develop for Windows Vista.

TechNet Flash: Learn to Love PowerShell

Spend enough time performing routine system administration tasks and one word pops to mind: automation. For that, that I have two words for you: Windows PowerShell.

I am very sory, because I deleted many such e-mails. But these should be enough to say: Vista is calling... and calling... and calling... :lolflag:

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I got this email the other day :)

I never read them - I don't know why I still subscribe ;)

Delever
June 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I never read them - I don't know why I still subscribe ;)

KNOW your ENEMY. And... sadly, I still develop for windows. But not ONLY vista, I can't do that. I make sure my applications work on most possible windows versions, and I was recently surprised that it includes wine :)

ShodanjoDM
June 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Windows Vista is more than beautiful graphics and a new user interface.

Yep. More bloats and restrictions as well.

Sorry, can't help it :D

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
i used to get these until i completely switched to linux and now i just mark them as junk

ShodanjoDM
June 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
KNOW your ENEMY. And... sadly, I still develop for windows. But not ONLY vista, I can't do that. I make sure my applications work on most possible windows versions, and I was recently surprised that it includes wine :)

If that's what you do for living, then don't feel bad about it. But I can't help but feeling curious, if your applications are compatible with wine, why not porting them as native Linux applications as well?

Delever
June 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
If that's what you do for living, then don't feel bad about it. But I can't help but feeling curious, if your applications are compatible with wine, why not porting them as native Linux applications as well?

For example, application for windows help call center...

ShodanjoDM
June 6th, 2008, 03:40 PM
For example, application for windows help call center...

:lolflag:

But it could be useful for this (http://www.fsckin.com/2008/04/01/what-happens-when-you-call-microsoft-support-to-remove-linux/).

:lolflag:

-grubby
June 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Woh, I could have sworn I read this thread before... de ja vu?

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I still get those emails too...at my work address. :rolleyes:

The best part....I work in Redmond, right on M$ doorstep. In fact, our copmany's buildings are leased M$ buildings.

toupeiro
June 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well, I subscribed to them long time ago. But having got rid of Vista and breathing fresh air, they sound like call back to the hell :D

Only title and some paragraph, newest first:

TechNet Flash: Special Edition: Why should you upgrade to Windows Vista?

Windows Vista now supports more than 77,000 printers, cameras, speakers and other devices.
More than 2,700 software programs are “Certified for” or “Works with” Windows Vista-logoed; 97 of the top 100 consumer applications are compatible.
62% of small businesses said Windows Vista saves them time, and 70% said it makes them more productive, according to an independent survey.
More than 140 million copies of Windows Vista have been sold, making it the fastest selling operating system in Microsoft history. Even Macs run it.
71 percent of Windows Vista customers like it better than their last operating system.
People familiar with Windows Vista are two to three times more likely to have a favorable impression of it.
Every 10 PCs that switch to Windows Vista is the equivalent of taking an automobile off the road, in terms of greenhouse gases.

MSDN Flash - Why Develop for Windows Vista?

Windows Vista is more than beautiful graphics and a new user interface. By taking advantage of new features in Windows Vista, your applications will stand out as engaging, comprehensive, and more secure. Here's a detailed list of reasons for why you should develop for Windows Vista.

TechNet Flash: Learn to Love PowerShell

Spend enough time performing routine system administration tasks and one word pops to mind: automation. For that, that I have two words for you: Windows PowerShell.

I am very sory, because I deleted many such e-mails. But these should be enough to say: Vista is calling... and calling... and calling... :lolflag:

The funny thing here is when I compare some of those figures just to the ubuntu distro, not considering linux development as a whole:

The ubuntu repos host according to my system, 32,219 open source applications which work with ubuntu and cost absolutely nothing!

I'm making an educated guess that most if not all of those 97 applications either have a native linux port, can run in linux via wine or have a fully functional open source alternative. Visio is really the only caveat I've ever ran across.

100% of people I've talked to that are home or business users that gave linux and FOSS a real try for a month said they were far more productive on ubuntu and felt ubuntu required less of their time to be safe and stable.

To accurately tell the total amount of ubuntu users is difficult, let alone linux users of any distro. A quick iso search on a torrent site found more than 600,000 seeds for ubuntu 8.04. This doesn't include any ftp'ing WWW, CD handling, or internet upgrading. More importantly, these stats do not reflect an Operating system "sale" that was bundled with hardware regardless if the customer wanted it or not. These were all intentional downloads or sales.

Every 10 PC's that run vista is like taking an auto off the road? Is vista suddenly going to make my PSU more efficient? Is it suddenly going to make my video card need fewer power leads? Give me a break... What they are implying here is that vista is such a hog, most people will likely have to buy a new PC which may or may not be more efficient than their current one.

I guess what I am getting at is, Microsofts numbers in the desktop market don't mean anything to me anymore. Their numbers are based on contractual obligation with hardware vendors and a legacy chokehold on the PC market that doesn't need to be anymore.

_DD_
June 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
On a side note: apart from silly USB speakers, what speakers need Windows driver support?

My speakers have a pair of binding posts on them. Should I be afraid that they're not Microsoft certified?

Delever
June 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The funny thing here is when I compare some of those figures just to the ubuntu distro, not considering linux development as a whole:

The ubuntu repos host according to my system, 32,219 open source applications which work with ubuntu and cost absolutely nothing!

I look at it this way: times are far gone when there was 3 programs capable of mp3 playback. Times are gone when you could hide your code and sell it as binary. In world where any bit of information is few milliseconds away at anyone's fingertips, how much you can hide? Open source is basically technology, getting back to people. Audio, video compression is already invented. Work flow with office documents - invented. Different web technologies, concepts of caching, content distribution, various approach to applets - done. ETC. There is always edge to improve, but nothing major to invent.

Now, in this world, there are niches where open source is not yet ready. So companies there can still hide "technology". But, as soon as it gets out, they will have no other choice but either change their business model, or to do something really groundbreaking. To successfully sell next-gen operating system, it actually has to be something much much more. And even then, open source will catch up.