PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Remember...

melrom
June 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
When I was young, my friend got a Gateway and this was like a big deal because she was the first of my friends to get a computer. Anyway, we used to play this silly game, where there was this yellow dog that took you through this red door and then you did different things in the house? Did that have a name??

And I guess for nostalagia purposes...any remember the following DOS games: Maniac Mansion, Treasure Island, Gizmos and Gadgets, Secret Island of Dr. Quandary, anyone?

The Grum
June 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
You don't mean Microsoft Bob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_BOB), by any chance? I also got that with my Gateway years ago. At the time, I had no idea what it was for.

Some screenshots here (http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html), including one of the red door and the dog.

Chilli Bob
June 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The Grum beat me.

I never used Microsoft Bob, but it looks like a major mistake. After all it led to Clippy, and that alone is unforgivable.

melrom
June 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM
oh my god. yes. Microsoft Bob! Thanks so much. That's crazy. Apparently, as a seven year old, I played this like a game. lol.

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
oh my god. yes. Microsoft Bob! Thanks so much. That's crazy. Apparently, as a seven year old, I played this like a game. lol.

Wow! I'm sure feeling old now. :(

melrom
June 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
on the upside, you knew Rover and friends weren't a game. gee, let's all play with word processor now, kids.

no, but in all seriousness, i think we changed all the rooms around a bunch. ha. pre-Sims era.

DM was on fire!
June 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I've heard of Treasure Island before. ...but, when DOS was in it's prime, I was too young to even know what a computer was.
I do remember that my parents had a Brother word processor, and I would always play Tetris on it. XD

I've also got a bunch of games a friend copied for me that were for 3.1. Surprisingly, they work just fine on NT (Windows 2k Pro). :o
SimAnt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimAnt) is my personal favourite. x)

melrom
June 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
oh wow, i remember those!

i also used to play Myst a lot.

omegamike3
June 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
How about Commander Keen? Anyone? I think most of my time from the ages of 4-12 was spent on Commander Keen. It is so choice.:cool:

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM
How about Commander Keen? Anyone? I think most of my time from the ages of 4-12 was spent on Commander Keen. It is so choice.:cool:
That's more like the old DOS games I remember (thought I wasn't 4-12).

Commander Keen
Blake Stone
Duke Nukem
Space Quest
Kings Quest
Leisure Suit Larry
Doom
Wolfenstein

and my all-time favorite DOS game

Rise of the Triad (ROTT) - in extreme gib mode of course

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Haha, I remember that. That came with my first computer too. Although I've heard that wasn't intended to be a game. Microsoft was apparently trying to create a new interface :shock:

melrom
June 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Haha, I remember that. That came with my first computer too. Although I've heard that wasn't intended to be a game. Microsoft was apparently trying to create a new interface :shock:

Haha. I prefer to think that I knew Microsoft was a joke, even at seven years old. :)

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Haha. I prefer to think that I knew Microsoft was a joke, even at seven years old. :)

:lolflag: