PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] nautilus Couldn't display

tw3k
June 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
After some of the last updates, I didn't notice which update in particular, I've been getting "Couldn't display" errors from nautilus.

Namely, opening Places like Computer, Network and sftp servers result in the "Couldn't display" error.

ajgreeny
June 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
There was a nautilus update yesterday. Perhaps that's caused the problem, though my machine runs fine still, and nautilus will display everything I've asked it to so far. Perhaps worth trying a reinstall of nautilus, nautilus-data, and libnautilus-extension1.

If that's no help, then, I'm afraid it will need someone more clever than myself.

tw3k
June 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
There was a nautilus update yesterday. Perhaps that's caused the problem, though my machine runs fine still, and nautilus will display everything I've asked it to so far. Perhaps worth trying a reinstall of nautilus, nautilus-data, and libnautilus-extension1.

If that's no help, then, I'm afraid it will need someone more clever than myself.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried both a reinstallation of those three components as well as a complete removal of all nautilus components, reinstalation of nautilus and a log out/in with the same errors.

I did disable some runlevel items. Perhaps there is a dependency there.

javaguru
February 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm experiencing the same with media files in Debian Unstable. The files are (were) correctly registered, I'm talking about .deb packages, .odt documents, .rpm files, .avi etc. These files often have a preferred application in the "open with" tab, but still give the same error.
I'll keep an eye out for a fix.

redroad55
February 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Are you running a DHCP Modem where your Ip was changed by your IP provider or power outage on modem ?

javaguru
February 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
now what would that have in common with a bug in nautilus ?

redroad55
February 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
nautilus cannot handle computer: location
nautilus cannot handle sftp : location

you tell me ? sftp is ssh correct ? whether it is Lan or global without more Info. about your network the Ip address under dhcp is not a constant unless setup to accommodate dhcp's non static normal state ..

javaguru
February 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
yes i've seen the bug reports with nautilus having trouble with network locations. Mine has trouble with registered file types

javaguru
February 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
nautilus cannot handle computer: location
nautilus cannot handle sftp : location

you tell me ? sftp is ssh correct ? whether it is Lan or global without more Info. about your network the Ip address under dhcp is not a constant unless setup to accommodate dhcp's non static normal state ..

This looks a lot like random generated text...