PDA

View Full Version : vienna back to vista (key factor = language-learning programme)???

newbie2
June 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
The Vista migration will include 720 kindergarten systems that had been migrated to Wienux, a Debian-based Linux distribution developed internally by the city's IT body.

"This is a major setback to the city's Linux migration," said Marie Ringler, a member of the district council and representative of the Vienna Green Party, according to the report.

A key factor in the rollback decision is software used in a kindergarten language-learning programme called 'Schlaumäuse', which requires Internet Explorer, according to city officials quoted in the report.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39429910,00.htm
:confused:

graabein
June 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Dang, can't they just get a better kindergarten program than schlausse or whatever? All because of Internet Explorer? How about running IE on Wine? Is that a possibility? Microsoft is doing well with its lock in tactics as usual... And off course the kindergarten teachers need Vista and Microsoft Office just like professional IT workers!

BlueSkyNIS
June 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
The Schlaumäuse software requires several IE plug-ins and caused frequent crashes in Wine, the Linux software used to run Windows applications on Linux, said Erwin Gillich, the head of IT at Vienna's municipal authority, according to the ORF's report.

That's why they didn't use wine

Novega
June 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM
We never had computers in my kindergarten class :( Actually I didn't get to use a computer in school until I was in grade 7 and it was a "Unisys Icon"...

I'm kinda suprised kindergarten kids would even know how to use the command line :p

rickyjones
June 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Microsoft is doing well with its lock in tactics as usual... And off course the kindergarten teachers need Vista and Microsoft Office just like professional IT workers!

Yes, please blame Microsoft when a third party company writes software that requires plugins for Internet Explorer.

I agree that the teachers probably don't need Vista and Microsoft Office but the two put together do work well, especially when collaborating as teams (even more so when Sharepoint is added). If they wish to spend the money then let them. However blaming Microsoft for something that they had no hand in is just... low.

Thanks,
Richard

K.Mandla
June 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
However blaming Microsoft for something that they had no hand in is just... low.

The Schlaumäuse programme, launched in December 2007, aims to improve language skills for children of immigrant backgrounds, and has Microsoft as its principal backer, according to the Austrian Federal Chamber of Commerce (WKO).
No hand in it? Sounds like they may have.

Either way, good luck with Vista. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

madjr
June 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Wow, 3 year old kids don't learn the traditional way anymore ??

sad, sad.

720 computers is a big deal and a waste of $$

they could at least run windows on a virtual machine.

better yet, in seamless mode so no one notices is windows.

Silpheed2K
June 7th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I didn't even have a computer in kindergarten... I was being read Dr. Seuss books.

sajro
June 7th, 2008, 02:38 AM

better yet, in seamless mode so no one notices is windows..

That's a good idea.

Also...they should talk to the company about a Linux port using a Mozilla (Gecko) or WebKit backend.

madjr
June 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM

That's a good idea.

Also...they should talk to the company about a Linux port using a Mozilla (Gecko) or WebKit backend.

yes, that would seem a lot more cost advantage for the company and the public administration.

why the hell u need to migrate 750 computers to windows just for 1 "simple program" that's not even that necessary.

sounds like someone in the government will be earning a % of those sales.

in my country we call this political corruption and illegal usage of public funds.

zmjjmz
June 7th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Actually, the company is working on a Firefox port to be released in 2009.
So yeah, there's more to it than that.

kernelhaxor
June 7th, 2008, 04:52 AM
why the hell u need to migrate 750 computers to windows just for 1 "simple program" that's not even that necessary.

that would be "just 1 simple program" for me and you but that program might be important and very useful to the kids .. so it might be a necessity for them ..

madjr
June 7th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Actually, the company is working on a Firefox port to be released in 2009.
So yeah, there's more to it than that.

then is not necessary to migrate this machines and pay all that boatload of $$.

i smell public administration corruption. Someone is getting a million $$ for this.

"The Vienna district council on Wednesday formally approved a budget of €8m (£6.3m) for migrating Windows 2000 systems to Vista and Office 2007"

The software maker behind the Schlaumäuse software is planning a Firefox version for 2009, according to Ringler, who pointed out in the report that the city could have subsidised a Firefox version of the software for a fraction of the cost of the Windows Vista migration.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39429910,00.htm

chucky chuckaluck
June 7th, 2008, 07:24 AM
on the bright side, at least these kids'll all get to use foobar.

Erunno
June 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM

better yet, in seamless mode so no one notices is windows.

You still need licenses for Windows and not all versions do allow to be run in a virtual machine. Plus, you'd have to maintain both the Linux host system as well as the virtualized Windows, effectively doubling your administration efforts.

zmjjmz
June 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
You still need licenses for Windows and not all versions do allow to be run in a virtual machine. Plus, you'd have to maintain both the Linux host system as well as the virtualized Windows, effectively doubling your administration efforts.
Most virtualization programs have this wonderful thing called snapshots.
All the maintaners would have to do is restore it from a snapshot.
Though they could still use OpenOffice and cut costs. (but why didn't they do that in Windows...)

reyfer
June 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Yes, please blame Microsoft when a third party company writes software that requires plugins for Internet Explorer.

I agree that the teachers probably don't need Vista and Microsoft Office but the two put together do work well, especially when collaborating as teams (even more so when Sharepoint is added). If they wish to spend the money then let them. However blaming Microsoft for something that they had no hand in is just... low.

Thanks,
Richard

Check the front page of the program's site, see who's there http://www.schlaumaeuse.de/

After that you tell me Microsoft has no hand in this

Erunno
June 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Most virtualization programs have this wonderful thing called snapshots.
All the maintaners would have to do is restore it from a snapshot.

Snapshots can and will get stale if you don't maintain them with bug fixes and software updates, so you'll have to put create new ones on a regular basis.

madjr
June 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM

maybe you didn't read the article?

they are going to dual-boot

they going to maintain both OSs anyway.

zekopeko
June 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
why don't they just install windows server 2008 on a powerful server and then simply export IE and Office 2007 over RDP?

seamlessRDP can do that for older windows version and i think RDP 6.0 has application exporting by default.

stupid and cost ineffective.

madjr
June 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
why don't they just install windows server 2008 on a powerful server and then simply export IE and Office 2007 over RDP?

seamlessRDP can do that for older windows version and i think RDP 6.0 has application exporting by default.

stupid and cost ineffective.

i don't think M$ governmental "advisors" would approve such a thing.

it's an outrage to even consider such a cheap solution even a possibility!

how are they to keep their luxury lifestyles??? how are they to survive with a salary of less than $8000/month ??!!

@zekopeko, you should be BANNED off the internet for even suggesting such a thing! :mad:

graabein
June 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks,
Richard

Well most everyone knows Microsoft have had issues with the law in Europe over not sharing their documentation and thus gaining an unfair market advantage. I agree this incidence might not be entirely Microsoft's fault but they have such dirty market strategies that I think they deserve a little flack from time to time.