PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04, Persistent, USB, no reboot ???

hoosierfan
June 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I would like to put Ubuntu 8.04 onto a 4GB(Corsair)flash drive and have it boot inside a terrible OS(Windows)without rebooting and have it persistent. I found a tutorial for ver.7.10 on pendrivelinux.com but they don't have one for 8.04. Could someone please direct me to a tutorial or I you have the time give me the steps to do this if its possible.
Thanks Curt

click4851
June 6th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I'm with ya brother....I've got a 4gb stick waiting as well....and Ive had very little luck....

muteXe
June 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/15/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-from-linux/

?

hoosierfan
June 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I saw that but it doesn't say that you can boot inside another OS without rebooting so I wasn't sure. So, you are saying that this will get me what I want. Thanks Curt

muteXe
June 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Ah no. Sorry i didnt see that bit in your first post (i've just woken up and am a bit sleepy :( ).

hoosierfan
June 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
You are saying this isn't possible with 8.04. Hopefully not. I really like this OS and have it installed on my 2nd puter and have gotten somewhat good at it that I'd 2 use it as my mane OS and be able to boot inside windows on other puters. I fix puters with Windows on them but really luv this linux thing, so much easier.

muteXe
June 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
No I'm not saying that, I'm just saying sorry because I posted an incorrect link. I don't have any experience of installing or booting linux *within* windows. All of my machines are dual-boots, with my linux completely separate to windows.

hoosierfan
June 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
OH, Thank you. I'll find a way to do this yet, I'm determinded. I actually have a "quad" boot puter. HD1 has Windows XP and Freespire. HD2 has Ubuntu and openSUSE. Ubuntu seems 2 b the easier of the four to run and maintain, for me that is.