PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Somethings missing....

copperwire
June 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure if this should be here, feel free to move it, but I have a general statement about a feature ubuntu seems to be lacking

Ctrl + Alt + Delete, ie, the task manager. Am I the only one who thinks it desperately needs to be included in the options after CAD? I can't tell you the number of times I've had to use top to kill firefox. And top isn't a really newb friendly program, hell I can optimize a gentoo install and even I think its rather difficult.

The lack of a task manager at CAD would be enough to turn new ubuntu users away.

Just my two cents... anyways. Hello to you all.

ingvildr
June 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
System > Administration > System Monitor is what i think your after.

IanW
June 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
System Monitor can also be installed in the upper panel between the menu & clock like this:-

1: Right-click on a blank part of the upper panel
2: Select "Add to panel"
3: Select "System Monitor"
4: Click "Add"
5: Click "Close"

Once this is done, double-clicking on the icon (which I have set to show CPU load) will open Task Manager.

copperwire
June 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Mmm, I remember this now, thanks. But I still think it desperately needs to be included in the CAD menu. In the rare case that something crashes, windows users are going to be looking there. As much as I dislike the bloated excuse for an OS that is windows. Putting such a thing at CAD was one of their better moves.

Darkchef
June 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Mmm, I remember this now, thanks. But I still think it desperately needs to be included in the CAD menu. In the rare case that something crashes, windows users are going to be looking there. As much as I dislike the bloated excuse for an OS that is windows. Putting such a thing at CAD was one of their better moves.

Thats down to opinion. Ive never had any problems with using the force quit plugin for the panel, works prefectly well.

copperwire
June 7th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Oh, the force quit plugin is wonderful. However its not exactly error-proof. My main problem is once in a while firefox doesnt shut down correctly. Then it whines about how its still open. No taskbar icon so no force-quit.