PDA

View Full Version : Odd Request

Falcorian
June 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hey all! I'm a Long time Ubuntu user, and a long time Wikipedian as well. These two personalities have merged recently as we try to get the Ubuntu article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu) promoted to Good Article status.

However, one of the things holding us up is that the reviewer wants a criticism section added, but any complaints need to be cited to a reliable source (like a major tech review sight, news paper, magazine) and not a blog.

So what's the odd request? I need links to articles reviewing Ubuntu (any version!) saying "Ubuntu sucks!"! (Or at least with some form of criticism... Like my mouse exploded and took my hand off at the wrist...) I know... Perish the thought, but apparently the Wikipedia article reviewer is adamant.

So, any bad reviews, from major publications, would be great! Thanks!

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hey all! I'm a Long time Ubuntu user, and a long time Wikipedian as well. These two personalities have merged recently as we try to get the Ubuntu article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu) promoted to Good Article status.

However, one of the things holding us up is that the reviewer wants a criticism section added, but any complaints need to be cited to a reliable source (like a major tech review sight, news paper, magazine) and not a blog.

So what's the odd request? I need links to articles reviewing Ubuntu (any version!) saying "Ubuntu sucks!"! (Or at least with some form of criticism... Like my mouse exploded and took my hand off at the wrist...) I know... Perish the thought, but apparently the Wikipedia article reviewer is adamant.

So, any bad reviews, from major publications, would be great! Thanks!

are there bad reviews of ubuntu? all the major tech blogs seem to love it, the only ever complaint is some of the gaming blogs comlain about lack of support, maybe someone has a link to that, but as an overall ive never read a bad review of ubuntu from a major tech blog

talktoari
June 6th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I think there might be some related to the system restore option in ubuntu. There is no system restore atleast from the one-button click as possible in windows.

Maybe searching in these directions can help you get some good pulications bad blogs.

Hope this helps.

Falcorian
June 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
are there bad reviews of ubuntu? all the major tech blogs seem to love it, the only ever complaint is some of the gaming blogs comlain about lack of support, maybe someone has a link to that, but as an overall ive never read a bad review of ubuntu from a major tech blog

That is of course, THE problem. I can't remember any bad reviews, and my googlefu hasn't turned up any.

I think the best shot at this point is finding reviews that say "I wish blah blah was easier" or "I had to drop to the command line to do blah blah". :(

mkendall
June 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
From Dictionary.com

crit·i·cism
Spelled Pronunciation[krit-uh-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything.
2. the act of passing severe judgment; censure; faultfinding.
3. the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.
4. a critical comment, article, or essay; critique.
5. any of various methods of studying texts or documents for the purpose of dating or reconstructing them, evaluating their authenticity, analyzing their content or style, etc.: historical criticism; literary criticism.
6. investigation of the text, origin, etc., of literary documents, esp. Biblical ones: textual criticism.

Only the second definition says anything about about finding lack of merit. Give this guy sources; if he insists on articles that explicitly find fault with Ubuntu, let him know that he's being an ***.

EDIT: ***? Really? *** is censored? ***hole I can understand, but ***?

Falcorian
June 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM
As an example: Ars reviews Hardy (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/hardy-heron-review.ars/2) and likes it, except they don't like tracer very much, or the BT client, or Pulseaudio, and call the release a "stumble". This is what I'm looking for! Ars is reputable, and their review offers some suggestions for improvement that would fit perfectly in a criticsm section!

Falcorian
June 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
From Dictionary.com

Only the second definition says anything about about finding lack of merit. Give this guy sources; if he insists on articles that explicitly find fault with Ubuntu, let him know that he's being an ***.

EDIT: ***? Really? *** is censored? ***hole I can understand, but ***?

Unfortunately, GA status is a one person dictatorship. Gone is the standard community consensus that is a hallmark of Wikipedia. One editor gets assigned (picks?) to review it, and the article lives and dies on their say so alone. :-/