PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Ubuntu with KDE desktop better than Ubuntu or Kubuntu...

maria-n
June 6th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Just out of curiousity:

Like most of us, I started with Ubuntu. Soon the gnome desktop lost its appeal, because of it's lack of possibilities and its somewhat old-fashioned look. So I installed KDE over Gnome and was happy, soon getting used to the flood of applications now at my disposal.
When 7.10 came, I directly installed Kubuntu and was disappointed to miss several Ubuntu features.

So with Hardy I'm again back to Ubuntu with KDE-desktop.

Are there others who prefer this too?
What are your experiences? Encountered any problems?

sayakb
June 6th, 2008, 08:08 AM
The only problem with Ubuntu + KDE desktop is that the menus get cluttered with both gnome and KDE apps which you have to manually modify to arrange them. Otherwise, they seem to have no prominent differences.

EDIT: You can always remove whatever you don't need ;)

Archmage
June 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
You can use Gnome-application in KDE and vice versa. (And even all the other applications in all the other desktops.)

Therefore you should choose the desktop you like and install the applications you like. If they are from an other desktop, than they might use some more recources or look a little out of place, but you can still use them without any problem.

E.g. I'm using Gnome with K3B and amaroK.

ardvark71
June 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi...

I too have used both and like aspects of both, so I really don't have a favorite. :)

I like Gnome's layout and "way of accessing" things better while I also like KDE's eye candy and effects, as well as the wealth of programs.

The only real sticking point (with KDE) I've had was with KPPP. Never could get it to work. :(

Best Regards...

ItalOz
June 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I installed the gnome version of Ubuntu but I never had any problem in installing KDE applications when I needed them, such as Kpdf which I like a lot as pdf reader or Kile which I love as editor...

theuninvitedguest
June 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Just a slight off-topic question since it fits in here: I always avoided installing KDE apps since I feared it could affect my system performance (ie longer boot times, etc). So how does it work in reality? Are the libraries being loaded on boot, or just when they are needed and unloaded thereafter? And would I actually notice an increase in loading times?

Thanks,
Alex

Amarus
June 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
So far I've been using Ubuntu with a couple of KDE applications.
I've downloaded the Kubuntu iso but never got around to burning it and trying it (busy with university).
I was planning to install KDE desktop over my installation if I liked the KDE feel but I've read somewhere (can't remember where exactly) that having both gnome and KDE will result in having to get bigger updates and with a limited connection I'm not sure I would want that.

On a side note I've tried "Enlightenment 17" on my laptop (an old toshiba satellite a30), it have an amazing look/feel to it but I found using it too different for me to get used to at the moment. I'll probably give it another shot when I don't need to worry about productivity.

@theuninvitedguest: I'm not an expert so I'm not completely certain but I think that they're loaded when needed then they're discarded.
The reason I'm saying this is that I have amarok installed, it takes more time than other apps to open and that time doesn't get shorter if I close it and open it again.

theuninvitedguest
June 7th, 2008, 01:01 AM
@Amarus: alright, thanks!