View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Laptop screen dims when VLC starts playing

June 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm running Hardy Heron on an Advent 1115C. Whenever I start playing a video file in VLC, the screen dims really low. I have the brightness app 2.22.1 on a panel, and when I open it, it still shows the slider at the original lever. I have to slide it down, then up again, to get the screen to the original brightness. If I just open the player nothing happens, but as soon as a movie starts, down go the lights.

The only other video player I have, Totem, doesn't do this. DosBox does, however.

I've already checked Power Management, unchecked all the 'dim display' options, without any change.

Any suggestions on how I can stop this from happening? I have my brightness the way I like it, and don't want to have to keep fiddling with it.

June 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
No replies, but it's stopped doing it. I was trying to solve some problems with VLC's DVD playback, and ran the steps on this page:

Lo and behold, the dimming problem sorted itself out as well.

November 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to drag up a dead thread but the steps in the link above did not help. Intrepid Ibex is the best version of Ubuntu I have used yet, but I still have a few bugs to iron out, and this is one of the most annoying.

The screen does not dim if using VLC for anything other than video,, very frustrating.

November 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I have the same issue in Karmic..with VLC 1.0.2

I opened a thread here about this issue..