PDA

View Full Version : Where do Ubuntu forum wizards get their information?

sofasurfer
June 6th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Didn't know where else to post this so here goes...

When we post to a forum there are a lot of helpful people who reply and offer great advice. My question is how do these people know so dang much about everything. Do they have photographic memories? Do they only answer in their area of expertise? Do they have a secret library that they access that contains all the Ubuntu knowledge and only they know how to sort through it?

I'm not kidding about these questions. In the few months that I have been using Ubuntu I have learned a lot. But 90 percent of what I learn I will have to relearn if I ever need the knowledge again. I am trying to learn to catalog what I learn and keep detailed records but this is impractical since I would need to spend 50 percent of my time just keep records of what I learn.

So tell me, how much do you know in your head? How much do you know from records that you kept? Whats your secret to finding more information, like when you need it fast to help a fellow forum poster? What is your favorite on line source of Ubuntu knowledge?

lisati
June 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Some of the knowledge comes by trying stuff, some by searching these forums, some by Google......

loell
June 6th, 2008, 05:01 AM
bow down to Master Google he'll give you immense power :KS

Technoviking
June 6th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I have used Linux for 10 years, I'm sure many people here are the same.

lazyart
June 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM
We were all new users at one time and asked the same questions, made the same mistakes, etc.

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 06:32 AM
We were all new users at one time and asked the same questions, made the same mistakes, etc.

amen to that, some of us more than others

warbread
June 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I'm no "wizard", but I've read some books, lurked the forums, spent a lot of time experimenting and, of course, there's always Google.

sdennie
June 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM
So tell me, how much do you know in your head? How much do you know from records that you kept? Whats your secret to finding more information, like when you need it fast to help a fellow forum poster? What is your favorite on line source of Ubuntu knowledge?

I've used Unix/Linux for about 10-12 years and can never remember how to do anything. There are a handful of base commands that everyone will learn and a handful of tools to help you find the rest of the information you need (man pages, clever google searches and useful bookmarks I've found in the past are what I use most). Another good tip is to install virtualization software and keep a copy of Ubuntu in a VM in a clean in state. That way you can test replies in a clean VM until you are sure that it's correct.

p_quarles
June 6th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Learning the system is much like learning anything else: you will have more success attempting to understand the principles that hold the system together than you will trying to memorize a bunch of different things.

Silpheed2K
June 6th, 2008, 06:38 AM
bow down to Master Google he'll give you immense power :KS

Don't follow that advice because google tracks your movements and isn't trustworthy. (that really isn't a joke... google tracks you)

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Don't follow that advice because google tracks your movements and isn't trustworthy. (that really isn't a joke... google tracks you)

wake up and smell the species, everything and everyone tracks you

LaRoza
June 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
wake up and smell the species, everything and everyone tracks you

<borg voice>Forum members targetted, prepare for assimiliation</borg voice>

I don't know what qualifies as being a "wizard" or a "witch" but I am often seen as an "expert" in some areas.

Here is my way of giving such an impression: Only post if you know what you are saying (gives the impression you are never wrong)

As for obtaining knowledge:

Experience (i.e. you did it before)
Second hand experience (i.e. you read a thread about it, this is a great way to get more knowledge than you use)
Rapid research. As you grow more experienced (or if you are already good at it) you can find things out with great efficiency. I use wmii and text based applications except for Opera. I was on IRC, and asked a question to which I didn't know the answer. I was able to google it with precise terms and get the answer very quickly. In fact, I was quick enough to give the impression I knew it off the top of my head.

Sometimes I get PM's about issues. Often times, I have to say "I have no idea, try the forum".

loell
June 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM

you have the power of choice , ultimately.. :popcorn:

but in the context of getting information about ubuntu and linux in general. whether it be bug , howtos, specific questions you might think of searching, google search engine is very efficient. :)

of course thats half of it.. you acquire skill by actually doing what you've read.

ghindo
June 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
IRC Channels
The forums here
Google
First-hand experience
Ubuntu wiki
And I tend to get a bit of information from just random places.

Tomatz
June 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Do they have a secret library that they access that contains all the Ubuntu knowledge

Yeah Google ;)

chronographer
June 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I have so much trouble getting help from the Ubuntu IRC, its funny because I used to use Debian and they were really really helpful (once I learned to RTF man pages!). I now help a few people here and there, its all experience eh? Oh and knowing what terms to concisely insert to the search engine of choice. Finally, Google is less evil than, and far superior to, any other search engine I have used.