PDA

View Full Version : Coding music

blithen
June 6th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I know many of the Ubuntu Users are programmers, so what do you listen to when you program? I'm gonna assume Techno, maybe nature sounds? I don't know. I was just looking for some ideas.

And I added a little poll.

-grubby
June 6th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Sometimes I listen to rock while I code - but if I need to get work done faster I"ll turn it off

lisati
June 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Nothing in particular (which kinda fits into the "other" category) with a leaning towards quieter "easy listening" styles, or "nothing" if the occasion demands.

EDIT: p.s. A home-made mixture is playing at the moment, with some Ardijah playing as I type.

FFighter
June 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
trance

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM
ill nino is my favorite code music, although i slip in some gorilla zoe, so hard rock/metal or rap sometimes

NovaAesa
June 6th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Normally psytrance or regular trance. Or if I'm trying to get something done quickly and don't want the distraction, I will listen to ambient electronica.

Silpheed2K
June 6th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'll listen to electronic mixed with orchestral music... but yeah... I'll listen to ambient stuff or www.di.fm while i code.
On another note I wonder how many people who use the GNU Linux OS actually code.

Eisenwinter
June 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM
It varies, therefore I voted "Other".

Sometimes I listen to meditation music, sometimes psychedelic trance, sometimes Tool, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.

Recently I've listened to a lot of 8bit, or "gameboy music".

billgoldberg
June 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hardcore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabber_music), Nu-style or Oldskool, doesn't really matter.

I playing this song a lot lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFa14Zo9K0&feature=related

It's from dht, before they went mainstream with songs like "listen to your hart" and they changed their name from "danger hardcore team" to "dance house trance".

Samhain13
June 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Sometimes I listen to rock while I code - but if I need to get work done faster I"ll turn it off

This is pretty much the same way with me. Just replace "rock" with some heavier stuff. I'm a big fan of Kamelot and Epica. :guitar:

TheOrangePeanut
June 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I listed to post-rock when I code. Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emporer, that kind of stuff. If I listen to something with lyrics I get distracted, and I don't particularly like electronic music.

Metaleks
June 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Power/epic/melodic metal! \m/

I can't code without it.

Kingsley
June 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
If I did code, I'd be listening to Nine Inch Nails while doing so.

_DD_
June 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM
ill nino is my favorite code music, although i slip in some gorilla zoe, so hard rock/metal or rap sometimes
Ha, I love Ill Nino. Good energy behind it which kinda psychs you up :D

I also like stuff like Streetlight Manifesto (I can listen to their most recent album on repeat for hours and not get bored with it).

rudihawk
June 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I listen to Dance/Electronica/Trance/House when coding. Sometimes rock though. If it need it done quickly then nothing.

Mazza558
June 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
It's gotta be 65DaysOfStatic. (http://www.last.fm/music/65daysofstatic)

dje
June 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
speed metal - sonata arctica, avantasia, highland glory

SupaSonic
June 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Silence for me.

geoken
June 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I listen to Drum and Bass. While coding I'll usually be listening to something mellow and not to techy, probably Calibre, High Contrast, the Hospital podcast (although the talking in podcasts is sometimes dristacting), etc.

Delever
June 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I like rock, but that's too distracting when i am coding, so I mostly listen to D&B, House, Progressive, Trance and other electronic tracks, some orchestral music, some film music.

blithen
June 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I guess my assumption was wrong. Heavy metal seems to be winning.
I usually listen to Techno or Trance or hardstyle etc. Either that or nothing.

pelle.k
June 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Electronica / Ambient.
Soma.fm's "beatblender" or "groove salad" is two great resources.

KingTermite
June 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Poll should have had more options and allowed multiple selections. I listen to a pretty eclectic mix while coding.

Rock (Eve 6, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, etc..)
Folk (Indigo Girls, Lorenna McKennit, Cowboy Junkies, Gillian Welch, etc..)
Native American (Joanne Shenandoah, Carlos Nakai, Annie Humphrey, etc..)
Country (Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Randy Travis, etc..)

mehaga
June 7th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Silence. But if I want to get things done, I turn the music on :) Seriously. That is almost the only time when I do listen music. It helps me deal with office noise and really concentrate on what I'm doing.
Some variation of rock usually. I think Joe Satriani is what I listen most when coding.

P.S. Interesting poll. I asked guys at work the same question the other day :)

acelin
June 7th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Gunther here. Only Gunther.

isaacj87
June 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I don't listen to anything because I can't. Don't get me wrong, I like my music rockin, loud, and obnoxious, but I can't concentrate with music on (the same goes for schoolwork). :lolflag:

fissionmailed
June 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM
See sig for details. Generally calm music with female vocals.

Unknown 4242
May 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I don't code alot just some python here and there (a little C too) for fun, but when I do it's Hardstyle, Hardtrance, Hardcore-Techno/Gabber, or Electro-House for me. By the way I am American, so this kind of music is atypical here.

ohbuntu
May 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
House or club music. I need to feel like I'm at the MoS.

init1
May 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I don't code alot just some python here and there (a little C too) for fun, but when I do it's Hardstyle, Hardtrance, Hardcore-Techno/Gabber, or Electro-House for me. By the way I am American, so this kind of music is atypical here.
Yeah, I don't know many people in the US who listen to electronic music. As for me, I listen to Happy Hardcore, Dnb, Electro, Psytrance, Hardstyle, etc.

Dougie187
May 16th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I enjoy video game music when I am coding. Like The Black Mages are pretty sweet. And anything from the final fantasy games. I also like movie soundtracks. I try to stay away from words.

Tipped OuT
May 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Metal FTW! :guitar:

calrogman
May 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
When writing bash scripts I usually listen to Infected Mushroom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infected_Mushroom) or Scooter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooter_(band)).
Trance, electronic and techno.

RATM_Owns
May 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Metal.

sgosnell
May 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Jazz, mostly traditional jazz, some western swing.

RiceMonster
May 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Whatever's on my mind. Probably stuff like boards of Canada or Aphex Twin would be the right kind of stuff, but sometimes I end up listening to noise rock (or whatever else). It doesn't always lower my productivity though.

cmay
May 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
media player put on random play. it just runs no matter what i do on my computer.

output of ls /home/music

Alan Parsons
Beck
Bob Dylan
D-A-D
Flogging Molly
Hanson
Ike & Tina Turner
Ike & Tina Turner With The Ikettes
Led Zeppelin
Meat Puppets
Misfits
Mudhoney
Nirvana
NOFX
Nuclear Assault
Pinboys
Portishead
Ramones
Rancid
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sex Pistols
Sonic Youth
Sort Sol
The Alan Parsons Project
The Clash
The Exploited
The Hydromatics
The Yo-Yo's
Tina Turner
Various Artists (which is a lot of disco and old country songs)

issih
May 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I tend to stick it on random and hit the next button till something grabs my fancy....

On the occasions when I do listen to something specific, it will almost certainly be because I am miserable, to which end it will be one of the many tortured singer songwriters if I am wallowing, or shouty indie rock if I am self medicating

emeraldgirl08
May 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I love electronic music.

Ever since the days I saw Rabbit in the Moon and Deepsky @ the UN in New Mex. I was hooked :)

I still like me a little of everything too tho... nothing country though.

karlmp
May 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Nine Inch Nails

PacSci
May 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
When I code, I listen to mostly ApologetiX, some Weird Al, and one song by Rick Astley (I think you can all guess which one). I filter them by my favorites, though, so it ends up mostly including rock, but also some rap, alternative, and pop. Since both ApologetiX and Weird Al are parody artists, though, I get a lot of different styles anyway.

nolliecrooked
May 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
thrashhhhhhhhhhhh \,,/

pretty much always Dew Scented

hatten
May 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Trance
www.freetrance.net

Sinkingships7
May 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I voted for "other" because I prefer a mix, really. I listen to Alternative Rock, but only the albums I'm largely familiar with. Listening to new music is distracting if lyrics are involved.

For the most part, I listen to Classical without voice. Heavy Metal works for me too. The monotonous complexity of the guitars and screaming of the band As I Lay Dying can really help me think sometimes.

nolliecrooked
May 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I voted for "other" because I prefer a mix, really. I listen to Alternative Rock, but only the albums I'm largely familiar with. Listening to new music is distracting if lyrics are involved.

For the most part, I listen to Classical without voice. Heavy Metal works for me too. The monotonous complexity of the guitars and screaming of the band As I Lay Dying can really help me think sometimes.

aild (y)

Sinkingships7
May 17th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I guess my assumption was wrong. Heavy metal seems to be winning.

But of course! It was the most commonly listened to music by the first hackers.

Source: Triumph of the Nerds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115398/), part I, a documentary by Robert X. Cringely.

Disclaimer: They weren't REALLY the very first hackers, but they were certainly the first universally influential hackers. :p

Sinkingships7
May 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM
aild (y)

Is that an agreement?

nolliecrooked
May 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Is that an agreement?

uhuh

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Something heavy, something fast, something rarr.

Dancey, mashup stuff calls for Girl Talk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Talk_(musician)) [wikipedia.org]. Or if I'm in a hardcore thrashy metal punk sort of mood, then I must opt for something more like Envy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy_(band)).

hanzomon4
May 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I am not a coder but I am a musician.. It is my expert opinion that you should all be coding to Kraftwerk

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I am not a coder but I am a musician.. It is my expert opinion that you should all be coding to Kraftwerk

How about Neu! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neu!) [wikipedia.org]? Would that be acceptable coding music?

hanzomon4
May 18th, 2009, 02:57 AM
How about Neu! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neu!) [wikipedia.org]? Would that be acceptable coding music?

Yes.. Yes... I would highly suggest E-Musik for that 80's montage vibe(great for bug squashing events)

Dr Small
May 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I have a huge playlist of classical music, ranging from soundtracks from old movies, to scottish bagpipes and then to a Mozart album. I always have my volume low so it does not interfere with my work, yet I can still here it.