PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] HP Pavilion dv1000 & PCMCIA Slot??

Sugi
June 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Call me stupid, but is there a slot for PCMCIA (Cardbus PC Card Type II) within HP Pavilion dv1000??? I can't find. o.0

In the review, it says there is a PCMCIA Type I/II? Does it mean it's a type II slot then or type 1? (In the laptop, the Type I/II holds the media controller for the laptop)

But there is NO way of installing this Netgear Wireless PCMCIA type II into the HP Pavilion dv1000. It just doesn't fit

Review
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:MHDptgSWwFYJ:www.fixya.com/support/p381326-hp_pavilion_dv1000_pt111av_pc_notebook+HP+Pavilion +dv1000+%22pc+card%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=5377

Thank you for your time,
Sugi

pbb1970
September 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I had exactly same issue today - I don't really know the difference between Type I and II but it looks like an adapter is required for Type II as the physical connection inside the slot is smaller than what is needed. Wondering if you solved this problem on your own - i bought a D-Link 802.11n card today as I wanted to upgrade to n. I realized that I might be able to just replace the internal wireless adapter and might be better route.

Sugi
September 17th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Oh man, I kinda remember this issue. What I remember (I forget easily) that the slot is NOT a type II slot. I think it's some new kind of Laptop PCI-E slot... ??? At least, that's what the guy from my electric store told me. I am not too sure if he knew what he was talking about. Ha ha ha, but on the other hand, I never got around to finding out it was true or not. I pretty sure it's not a TYPE I slot either. I think it's just a messed up slot for the media card. You got to keep in mind, that slot was intended for the media card controller and *I think* that's all it is. :-/

Sorry, but I bring you even more bad news. After researching that crappy laptop specs and that stupid card. I just gave up and brought a USB wireless adapter. :-/ It was for a client and they decided they wanted Window's back on it anyways. It was a totally waste of time for me.

I wish you good luck and if you find anything, please report back,
Sugi