View Full Version : [other] Fluxbox--im gonna try it

sports fan Matt
June 6th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Since im bored im trying fluxbox..ill post what I think

kerry_s
June 6th, 2008, 03:58 AM
sudo apt-get install fluxbox menu
sudo update-menus

log out, select fluxbox and your good to go.

for nautilus> nautilus --nodesktop

AnLGP
June 6th, 2008, 04:47 AM
it's good stuff. :)

Inxsible
June 6th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Good luck. I like it a lot and I am going to do a minimal + fluxbox over this weekend :)

atomkarinca
June 6th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Her are some applications for you then:

gmrun: you can configure alt+f2 combination for this little app and have a nice run dialog.
wbar: a lightweight dock.
scrot: command line screen capturing application. You can bind it to Print Screen.
skippy: emulates compiz's scale plugin.
GKrellM: very nice system monitor.

Here are some documentation for keys (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617812), menu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=371144) and startup (http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_startup_file).

Anzan
June 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I am really enjoying Fluxbox for when I just want to get a lot of work done.

I recommend it highly.

RedSquirrel
June 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
for nautilus> nautilus --nodesktop

nautilus --no-desktop;)

sports fan Matt
June 7th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Ill have to test it further in a few days as life has been crazy around here plus i'll be out of town for a few days..i'll post more info in a few days

kerry_s
June 7th, 2008, 04:34 AM
nautilus --no-desktop;)

thanks, i was close. :lolflag:

RedSquirrel
June 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
thanks, i was close.

I had to look it up in an online man page the other day for someone else. I think it's been about 18 months since I last used nautilus. :)

Happy_Man
June 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Dude, Fluxbox rocks. Then again, so does Openbox.

(RedSquirrel, please don't kill me for saying that)

RedSquirrel
June 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Dude, Fluxbox rocks. Then again, so does Openbox.

(RedSquirrel, please don't kill me for saying that)

The OP should check out openbox as well. They're both good. I'm running openbox right now. :)

eriqjaffe
June 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM
gmrun: you can configure alt+f2 combination for this little app and have a nice run dialog.

Fluxbox comes with fbrun, which does the same thing - it's just not as attractive.

Inxsible
June 8th, 2008, 05:21 AM
What's the keybinding for fbrun?

Alt +F2 takes me to the second desktop (F1-F4)

atomkarinca
June 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM
What's the keybinding for fbrun?

Alt +F2 takes me to the second desktop (F1-F4)

You should change it in the keys file.

nano ~/.fluxbox/keys

Comment the line starting with "Mod1 F2..." and add this to the end:

Mod1 F2 :Exec fbrun

or if you installed gmrun, you can change it with fbrun. Now right-click on the desktop and select Reconfigure.

fanderal
June 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Just loaded 8.04 and fluxbox, and had the problem of reverting to the gnome desktop when opening nautilus. Did "nautilus --no-desktop" in the terminal and it opened nautilus without the desktop going back to gnome. I thought it was like a mode switch; do it once and that's it. Nope. So I added the "--no-desktop" to the exec command for nautilus in the menu. Works great.

Thanks for the info!

brijam
June 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Good luck. I like it a lot and I am going to do a minimal + fluxbox over this weekend :)

I'd like to do this. Anyone know the complete list of packages needed?

starting with sudo apt-get install x11-common, i guess...

ending with sudo apt-get install fluxbox

urukrama
June 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Brijam, see aysiu's guide (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal), and replace icewm with fluxbox.

Inxsible
June 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'd like to do this. Anyone know the complete list of packages needed?

starting with sudo apt-get install x11-common, i guess...

ending with sudo apt-get install fluxboxWhat are the problems that you are facing?

I would suggest that you first make a list of all the apps that you need and want on the install. For eg..something to this effect...

NOTE: Remember that the apps that I have mentioned below are all lightweight because that's what ppl with Fluxbox often want. YMMV. The total number of applications for each category are too numerous to mention - and most likely I don't even know half of them.

1) Xorg - obviously
2) File Manager - PCManFM, emelFM2, clex(CLI based)
3) Window Manager - you have probably chosen one already
4) Editor -- I would suggest leafpad here..it does not have too many dependencies. Very lightweight
5) to get desktop icons - iDesk
6) to get panels - fbpanel is lightweight, but you can get xfce4-panel if you like too
7) A package manager - most ppl go with Synaptic here but there are others
8 )Browser - Kazehakase is lightweight but no plugins - firefox is the only choice which has all plugins opera to an extent.
9) Terminal - lots of choices - aterm, eterm, xterm, rxvt,mrxvt, urxvt, Sakura, tilda, xfce4-terminal...the list goes on
10)Image viewer - Mirage is lightweight
11) CD/DVD burner - Recorder - but you will have to compile this from source since I am not aware of any available deb packages. There might be some out there
12)you may need to install alsa-utils and alsa-conf and or alsa-oss for sound
13)your graphics card drivers
14)gFTP - for ftp
15)SSH - openssh-server
16)display manager - GDM, KDM, WDM, XDM - I am a minimalist and I dont install DMs at all. simply login at CLI and have a login script take you directly to your desktop. DMs are a waste of space after you login anyway :)
17) Time and Date management - orage

...If I rbr anything else.. I will add to that list. Now all you have to do is
sudo apt-get install package-name1 package-name2 ......

urukrama
June 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
2) File Manager - PCManFM, emelFM2, clex(CLI based)
[...]
10)Image viewer - Mirage is lightweight
[...]
16)display manager - GDM, KDM, WDM, XDM - I am a minimalist and I dont install DMs at all. simply login at CLI and have a login script take you directly to your desktop. DMs are a waste of space after you login anyway :)
17) Time and Date management - orage

Some alternatives to the above:
Thunar: the xfce file manager. Light and pretty.
Feh: the fastest image viewer. It can also be used to set the desktop background.
Gpicview: a light Gtk image viewer.
Slim is a lighter displau manager than GDM or KDM, and looks a lot better than XDM.

You can also use Osmo as an alternative for Orage.

Inxsible
June 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Some alternatives to the above:
Thunar: the xfce file manager. Light and pretty.
Feh: the fastest image viewer. It can also be used to set the desktop background.
Gpicview: a light Gtk image viewer.
Slim is a lighter displau manager than GDM or KDM, and looks a lot better than XDM.

You can also use Osmo as an alternative for Orage.I love thunar, but it has a few xfce dependencies that I can live without in my fluxbox or enlightenment installations :)

Thanks for the heads up on Feh - will check it out. I use mirage currently.

No DMs for me :) and I have never used Osmo, but I will check it out.