PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Viruses in ubuntu through wine!

newbuntuxx
June 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM
hey...

If I were to accidentally download a windows virus on my ubuntu machine, or a trojan or spyware (any malware basically), and then run it in wine, will it damage my ubuntu system?

That is, will it affect anything outside of my windows fake directory (the wine c drive directory)? Can it write or erase files on my other ubuntu directories (other than the fake windows directory)? Can it execute files on my ubuntu machine (not in my virtual windows, wine)?

Also, say I suspected a certain windows .exe file of being a trojan or spyware or a malicious program, and I wanted to know what it exactly does when it is executed, are there any tools that I can use to monitor the activities of all the programs run in wine? Say, a tool that tells me if a program run in wine makes any connection to the internet or spreads in the system etc...

I know that you can use an anti-virus in ubuntu to check files for windows viruses.

thanks all

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM
If you specifically ran it in Wine. I think it would most likely trash your Wine install ;)

Though I don't think it would do anything to Ubuntu, but you should probably still back it up, just in case :)

Dr Small
June 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Check out this thread. You may find your answer in it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=72598

ardvark71
June 6th, 2008, 02:10 AM
hey...

If I were to accidentally download a windows virus on my ubuntu machine, or a trojan or spyware (any malware basically), and then run it in wine, will it damage my ubuntu system?

That is, will it affect anything outside of my windows fake directory (the wine c drive directory)? Can it write or erase files on my other ubuntu directories (other than the fake windows directory)? Can it execute files on my ubuntu machine (not in my virtual windows, wine)?

Also, say I suspected a certain windows .exe file of being a trojan or spyware or a malicious program, and I wanted to know what it exactly does when it is executed, are there any tools that I can use to monitor the activities of all the programs run in wine? Say, a tool that tells me if a program run in wine makes any connection to the internet or spreads in the system etc...

I know that you can use an anti-virus in ubuntu to check files for windows viruses.

thanks all

Hi...

No, the virus you suspect can NOT infect or damage your Ubuntu system in any way, unless there is something I don't know about. :)

Edit: I guess there can be consequences to Ubuntu according to Dr. Small's link...you might want to download a virus scanner like ClamAV.

I don't the answer to your last question but I'm sure someone on here would.

Best Regards...

oldsoundguy
June 6th, 2008, 02:40 AM
It IS possible a Windows virus could trash the contents of WINE, but it sure won't get into your Linux kernel.

When in doubt, go to the administration and un-install WINE, re boot, and re-install it. You WILL lose all the Windows stuff you installed in WINE, but that is the price you pay for trying to run Windows stuff (which we all know is swiss cheese) on Linux

IF you are running a server or are really concerned:
http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fplinux.html
FREE!!!!!

I have been using F-Prot on Windows boxes for years and have never had a virus install on the Windows machines .. took time to root out the garbage that came in and got held up, but no damage. (last major issue came in on a supposedly new and sealed CF card! Had a really NASTY virus installed on it in China! .. lesson: scan your plug in cards and drives before using!)

The big issue now is not virus .. it is spyware and hijackers .. and that won't happen in Linux.

newbuntuxx
June 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM
thanks guys..i just want to put what you said in point form:

1. When running a virus in wine, it will damage your wine installation

2. If you are running wine with root privileges, then the virus may spread to other directories in your file system and may damage them.

3. If wine is set to use your Z drive, which I assume is your /, then the virus can spread to your file system and damage it.

4. If wine is executed with normal user privileges and it is only using the fake windows directory, then the virus can only affect that wine directory.

Now, I have a few questions, and I may be repeating myself, so i apologize:

1. How do I make sure that my WINE is run with normal user privileges, and that it is using a wine directory within my user account and not using the "/"

2. Since Wine is a virtual operating system, is it possible to monitor the activities of the programs that you run in WINE?

3. If the above is not possible, then, is there a similar virtual system that can be used to execute programs and watch their activities?

Thanks alot guys...

sam_delta
June 6th, 2008, 06:06 AM
1. How do I make sure that my WINE is run with normal user privileges, and that it is using a wine directory within my user account and not using the "/"

wine wont run as root unless you type "sudo wine somehting" or for some reason it prompt you for your password, so in short words, if you dont type your password when you run wine, it wont run as root.

sam

kesman
June 6th, 2008, 07:00 AM
running

winecfg

or

wineconfig

can't remeber which it was, you can set the used "drives" for wine. You can manage how your CD-drives and "my documents" are mounted from your linux filesystem to wine. Just disable anything but "C:" which is usually something like /home/user/.wine/c_drive and you'll be safe, no matter what, unless you run wine with sudo.

newbuntuxx
June 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks a lot kesman, that was really helpful. and thanks for the explanation sam_delta, it turns out that i never ran wine with root privilges, so, no harm done. I'll make sure that its only using my /home/user/.wine directory.

just two questions left, if anyone can provide an answer, i'll be grateful:

2. Since Wine is a virtual operating system, is it possible to monitor the activities of the programs that you run in WINE?

3. If the above is not possible, then, is there a similar virtual system that can be used to execute programs and watch their activities?

thanks a lot

sam_delta
June 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
well, this quote might help you. wine is not a emulator, so i belive there is no way to monitor specific activity made by wine (unless theres a way i dont know of)you might be able to monitor wine as any other linux program , but i believe thats not what your looking for.

Wine is that it's a "compatibility layer" (WINE itself stands for WINE IS NOT an EMULATOR). Being a compatibility layer it translates commands sent from windows programs into commands Linux understands, thus allowing the program to runquote from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=72598&page=6

you might want to look into VMware , a virtual machine, its pretty good and you can install windows on it, safer for your linux install

sam

mohenjo
June 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
sam_delta's Wine quote also speaks to whether or not a virus can damage your linux setup. Since most viruses are written for Windows, and designed to mess up areas of Windows, it should have little to no effect on a linux machine. Take the Windows Registry for example. This is a prime target for destructive viruses, because deleting things from the registry can halt a Windows system. If Wine was to interpret registry damaging lines of code into linux code, the linux system would pretty much laugh, as it doesn't use a registry.

There's also the question of how a program installed and run from Wine would be infected. There's no need to run MS Outlook when there are a number of pretty good open source pieces of software which can communicate with Exchange, so email viruses won't spread into your Wine applications. If you're running Internet Explorer through Wine (I don't even know if that's possible, but let's pretend) then I suppose you could mess up your IE install with all the spyware and other junk that's out there, but again, that shouldn't mess with your Linux install.

oldsoundguy
June 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
There is an install program to place IE in Wine .. and it IS needed by some. Web designers. They need to have a copy in order to check their code to make sure that it is readable, for instance.
And there are some web sites where the ONLY browser that will work on the site is IE because some joker was too lazy to make it universal or is CLUELESS or has used the MicroSLOTH program exclusively to design the site!

newbuntuxx
June 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM
thanks for the replies guys....I actually started using VMware as per sam_delta's advice, link to download and install for hardy:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/05/03/install-vmware-server-105-on-ubuntu-804-hardy/

and it is simply amazing. Just finished installing XP pro. It works like a charm.

I also removed WINE. So, now I enjoy the security and flexibility of linux, and I get to use the windows software that I need. Too good to be ture :)