PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot problem

wolf3491
June 6th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I have been dual booting vista home basic and gutsy since about february, and I just started getting this issues yesterday. I have a dell inspiron 1521 with 2gb ram. No problems, even with wireless up until now.

If I log into 1 operating system, the next time I log into other it will lock up the first time, and after a hard reboot I can get in. I am not sure if this is an ubuntu problem or a vista problem, but I don't allow either of them to update, so it is most likely not that. I did shrink my vista partition a week ago in anticipation of triple booting, but this problem didn't not occur or I didn't notice it until now.

Now, I planned on wiping 7.1 in order to install 8.04, but I read earlier this morning about a kernel update that kills wireless. If this is the case, I am stuck with gutsy.

Thanks in advance, I hope my issue isn't too obscure.

Sam Lars
June 6th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Does this occur whether you shut down or reboot between OS's?

wolf3491
June 6th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Either way. As long as I end one and load the other, I get frozen.

Sef
June 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Now, I planned on wiping 7.1 in order to install 8.04, but I read earlier this morning about a kernel update that kills wireless. If this is the case, I am stuck with gutsy.

It would depend on what wireless card you have, and what wireless card(s) is/are affected.

wolf3491
June 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
So wiping both and reinstalling with 8.04 would be quicker than figuring out why the gutsy and vista have started to hate each other? I will check out hardy this weekend then, thanks!