PDA

View Full Version : forgetting stuff in windows since using ubuntu

terry_gardener
June 5th, 2008, 10:55 PM
i have been using ubuntu for about 9 months and i am using ubuntu as my primary os for months now, all pc's and laptop is ubuntu the only place i use windows is at work or when help family/friends with problems.

Do you people tend to find the using ubuntu you forget how to do stuff in windows and try to do stuff in windows that you do in ubuntu specially terminal commands.

there has been several times that there has been a problem and i have forgot how to fix it and thought this is how to fix in ubuntu and had to work it out again in windows.

Just wondered if you lot have experienced this and what your stories are?

original_jamingrit
June 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
What's it like to have a computer-related problem?

original_jamingrit
June 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Kidding. But seriously, whenever I have to help out any of my roommates with a computer thing, it usually just takes me a couple of minutes to remember how to do something in particular. Although I always have to look around in five different places for the Network Neighbourhood thing.

acelin
June 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM
i have been using ubuntu for about 9 months and i am using ubuntu as my primary os for months now, all pc's and laptop is ubuntu the only place i use windows is at work or when help family/friends with problems.

Do you people tend to find the using ubuntu you forget how to do stuff in windows and try to do stuff in windows that you do in ubuntu specially terminal commands.

there has been several times that there has been a problem and i have forgot how to fix it and thought this is how to fix in ubuntu and had to work it out again in windows.

Just wondered if you lot have experienced this and what your stories are?

wat

wolfen69
June 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM
i wish i could say i forgot how to fix windows. i do it for a living, so i dont think that is going to happen.

aysiu
June 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I have to use Windows at work, I sometimes use my wife's Macbook Pro, my main computer is a Xandros Eee PC, and I run Ubuntu in VirtualBox to help people on these forums.

So I don't think I'm going to lose much.

-Phi-
June 6th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I get this. Whenever my brother gets another "mysterious" computer virus infection I dredge up my memories of all the various programs that are good to fix it (hijack-this, adaware, avg, how the registry works, where temp files are, etc. etc.). Same goes with simple things like changing the screensaver or power options or the time. I keep forgetting if I'm looking for a tab in a settings window, or a separate thing in the control panel, or I right click somewhere.

It's just different.

- Phi

Superkoop
June 6th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Yes, very much so. Like it took me a while to remember why the flash drive wasn't on the desktop... It was in the mycomputer thing. =)
I was scratching my head over that one for a while.

gameryoshi600
June 6th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Hmm I want a job with computer so i will have to remember windows. I got a good memory with operating systems. I usually use my grandpas windows pc when i'm there so i won't forget. If i did no one would rely on me for help.

the yawner
June 6th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I type ls on the command prompt.

ChameleonDave
June 6th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Forget Windows?

I'm still running a Commodore 64 (in emulation), for chrissake. ;-)

gaffurabi
June 6th, 2008, 02:08 AM
trying sudo on cmd.exe could be an example i guess :)

note: never happened to me before :p