PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 or Thunderbird 2?

Yizi
June 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hello,

I like to know your opinion on what would you perfer to use as your email application.

Microsoft Outlook 2003
Mozilla Thunderbird 2

Thanks,
Yizi

klange
June 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I detect a highly biased polling group...

Yizi
June 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I detect a highly biased polling group...

Hope I get some results.

original_jamingrit
June 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Is this supposed to be a joke?

Are you trying to find comparisons for the two, or just want to see what the statistics are? Also, why just those two? There's dozens of different e-mail apps just for Linux alone. What's the purpose of this poll?

Yizi
June 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Is this supposed to be a joke?

Are you trying to find comparisons for the two, or just want to see what the statistics are? Also, why just those two? There's dozens of different e-mail apps just for Linux alone. What's the purpose of this poll?

Just wants to see which ones better I'm not keen on what operating systems they for.

FuturePilot
June 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I would prefer Evolution, but if I had to pick between the two I would pick Thunderbird.

spupy
June 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM
On my laptop (1,4Ghz 1 core, 460MB RAM), Outlook will never step. Because on the PC at work (Vista, 2,4GHz dual core, 3gigs ram), it often lags on opening a single mail...

Unfortunately, despite Outlook being a laggy program, it wins easily in a corporate environment. And I do really like the calendar in Outlook - excuse me, but Lightning/Sunbird is damn awful (it is a resource hog and doesn't look right)! If it wasn't for that damned MS Exchange Server, I'd be using TBird at work too. :|

BOBSONATOR
June 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I just use gmail's web based client, works perfectley fine :)

samjh
June 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Apples and Oranges.

Outlook is a personal organiser with email functionality.

Thunderbird is just an email client (if you don't use plugins).

For overall utility, I pick Outlook simply because it does a whole lot more than Thunderbird. For just emails, Outlook for business, and Thunderbird for personal.

madjr
June 6th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Apples and Oranges.

Outlook is a personal organiser with email functionality.

Thunderbird is just an email client (if you don't use plugins).

For overall utility, I pick Outlook simply because it does a whole lot more than Thunderbird. For just emails, Outlook for business, and Thunderbird for personal.

exactly, the op should had added evolution or the kde equivalents

deltaprime
June 6th, 2008, 01:29 AM
outlook 2007?
way better...:popcorn:

Incense
June 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I'd pick Kontact in KDE 4 over both of those options. Thunderbird has been a resource hog in the past on my notebook, and I don't want to buy office 2003, so I wouldn't have outlook in the first place. Kontact does everything I need, and it's pretty lite.

karellen
June 6th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I hope you mean Outlook 2007, which I prefer anytime over Thunderbird

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 06:56 AM
thunderbird with the webmail plugins, although most of the time i just use the web anyways

LaRoza
June 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Well, the operating system has to be taken into account also. No matter how great $SOFTWARE is, it is useless if it can't be used.

As this is a Linux forum...

teet
June 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
New poll. Which do you like better?

1. *******
2. Linux

-teet

Chilli Bob
June 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I voted Thunderbird out of reflex, but then realized, no, I'd prefer to run Outlook. That way I could use the software suite that came with my Samsung mobile to sync and back-up the calendar and phone-book. That is one of the few things I still can't do in Linux.

OffHand
June 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
TB at home - Outlook at work.

wersdaluv
June 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Outlook on XP on virtualbox on Linux and Outlook on Windows.

Rhapsody
June 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Neither. I used Outlook Express for a long time because I was too lazy to switch (I'm not a big e-mail user, and PIMs tend to just get in my way), then I used Thunderbird for a while, then I got tired of the lack of updates and I use KMail these days.

jonabyte
June 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
these are two different products, you are comparing apples to oranges. a better comparison is outlook express and Thunderbird.