PDA

View Full Version : Whos using gnomemeeting?

Drakx
October 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi

I just wanna know how is using the above ? cause it looks a bit like a waste just sitting there doing nothing :confused:

Lovechild
October 25th, 2005, 10:46 PM
once GnomeMeeting2 comes out I plan to move from skype (evil closed source as it is) to it (open source and protocol.. wooohoo)

thechitowncubs
October 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
i've never got it working how i wanted

is gnome meeting 2 supposed to good, and actually work?? :p

and will it be ready for the dap dog

Lovechild
October 25th, 2005, 11:10 PM
i've never got it working how i wanted

is gnome meeting 2 supposed to good, and actually work?? :p

and will it be ready for the dap dog

Beta out in December, included in GNOME 2.14 - I'd say it's go for Dapper

majikstreet
October 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Skype is really nice.

There's always Gizmo (http://www.gizmoproject.com/) and OpenWengo (http://www.openwengo.com/)

-m

GazaM
October 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I am currently using Gnomemeeting 2 cvs and loving it. The difference in 2 is that it supports the Open SIP VOIP protocol, which is what gizmo uses and google talk will support soon also... it is pretty much the most popular VOIP protocol in use, although mostly is used in colleges and businesses which is why you may not be aware of it, but with the recent boom of home VOIP use it will be our saviour from the closed Skype protocol. I use my project Gizmo SIP account in Gnomemeeting and it works brilliantly.

The only thing I worry about is the fact that Gaim 2 is set to support SIP as well, which should be released before Christmas (the main developer now works for google AFAIK so he wants the support for google talk etc.) and this may really negate the need for Gnomemeeting. Gnomemeeting also has support for webcams and uses ALSA.

Needless to say though, both the developers of Gaim and Gnomemeeting have done an amazing job!

majikstreet
October 25th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I would use gizmo if it could go to tray and I could get the 5 people who I made sign up with skype to use it!

-m

GazaM
October 26th, 2005, 12:47 PM
majikstreet: Gizmo project uses SIP as previously stated, so you can use any SIP client with your Gizmo SIP account... the only problem for me is that presence doesnt seem to work, which is not a big deal and could also just be my network setup. The IM side of Gizmo is just Jabber, so you can use Gaim or any other Jabber client for IM.

I have pretty much given up on a good Official linux Gizmo Project client any time soon, but this is where SIP comes in very handy :D

majikstreet
October 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM
majikstreet: Gizmo project uses SIP as previously stated, so you can use any SIP client with your Gizmo SIP account... the only problem for me is that presence doesnt seem to work, which is not a big deal and could also just be my network setup. The IM side of Gizmo is just Jabber, so you can use Gaim or any other Jabber client for IM.

I have pretty much given up on a good Official linux Gizmo Project client any time soon, but this is where SIP comes in very handy :D
I understand that, but I have made 5 people use Skype. So, I'm not going to make them use gizmo just because it's open source. Unless I can do it easily.

GazaM
October 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Yeah I had the same problem as well, but I have managed to move most skype contacts to gizmo, as they are on windows and the gizmo client is pretty good there.

ember
October 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM
So that's another reason to start hoping for Dapper ;) ... I have a VoIP capable router at home, yet it would be nice to use GnomeMeeting for SIP-sessions from my office - so let's watch and wait ;)

majikstreet
October 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Yeah I had the same problem as well, but I have managed to move most skype contacts to gizmo, as they are on windows and the gizmo client is pretty good there.
mmm.. is gnomemeeting on linux better than the linux version of gizmo?

GazaM
October 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM
ember: there is an Ubuntu repository for Gnomemeeting CVS, check out the website and you can have SIP compatible Gnomemeeting without waiting for dapper, or if you'd rather wait for the official Gnomemeeting 2 release there should be an ubuntu .deb up then as well.

majikstreet: to put it lightly, the linux version of gizmo sucks, a lot. There are very few updates and development seems to be going at a snails pace. Gnomemeeting on the other hand, is brilliant. It is really a great VOIP client which I think I will continue to use even after gizmo for linux becomes usable (if that day ever comes :P )

majikstreet
October 27th, 2005, 12:09 AM
ember: there is an Ubuntu repository for Gnomemeeting CVS, check out the website and you can have SIP compatible Gnomemeeting without waiting for dapper, or if you'd rather wait for the official Gnomemeeting 2 release there should be an ubuntu .deb up then as well.

majikstreet: to put it lightly, the linux version of gizmo sucks, a lot. There are very few updates and development seems to be going at a snails pace. Gnomemeeting on the other hand, is brilliant. It is really a great VOIP client which I think I will continue to use even after gizmo for linux becomes usable (if that day ever comes :P )
GazaM: how do I use gnomemeeting with gizmo?

ember
October 27th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I guess, I'll wait for the GM 2 release or at least an official beta with a deb - at the moment, I'm bit too lazy to compile and use CVS versions ;)

Drakx
October 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM
So no one is really using it then ?