PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Nvidia trouble

underthesun
June 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hey, so I had installed Ubuntu 7.10 yesterday, and immediately (after configuring my wireless card), upgraded to 8.04.

I figured that now that I've upgraded, it would be a good time to get the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. I go into the Drivers program, and the drivers for my card aren't listed. Matter fact, nothing is listed. It's blank.

And I'm pretty sure I don't have the drivers installed already because I can't enable any visual effects whatsoever.

It's not a big issue, but it bugs me a bit.

Thanks,

underthesun

Het Irv
June 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Have you run updates on the new install. I have noticed sometimes the restricted drivers don't become available till after an update.

ZabiGG
June 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Basics first. Did you add the restricted repositories?

There's a load of info if you click on the "Look here" link below.

Cheers,

Z.

underthesun
June 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I did run updates on the new installation, and as far as the update manager is concerned I seem to have an up-to-date system.

I hadn't even thought about the repositories! I'll try that and let you know how that goes.

underthesun
June 6th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yep, that did it!

It's always the little things we tend to overlook, isn't it? :-D

While I'm at it, I do have an unrelated question: Desktop icons/shortcuts. How do they work in Ubuntu? How do I go about making them, more specifically?

ZabiGG
June 6th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Pleasure was all mine. Look up "symbolic links" for icons.

Since your post is now solved, I'd be honoured if you could mark it so (it really helps all helpers focus on unsolved posts first):

click Thread tools (above your first post)
click Mark thread solved

Many thanks in advance, and welcome to Ubuntu :)

Z.