PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Firefox ticking checkbox problem

PetePete
June 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
When ticking checkboxes and radiobuttons on websites in firefox you need to click around the box in order to check it. Clicking inside the checkbox does nothing.

any ideas?!

Dr Small
June 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Never heard of that problem before. By the way, what version of Firefox are you using... Firefox 3 beta 5 ?

Dr Small

PetePete
June 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM
yes it is firefox 3, beta 5. Standard issue hardy version.

jtsop
June 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I have the same problem (3 pcs) with FF RC1. I've noticed that with Hardy for the first time.

PetePete
June 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
shameless bump...

anyone?!!

CopaceticOpus
June 24th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I have this problem as well. I get the impression that clicking on the checkbox does activate it, but the graphic of the checked box can only be seen once focus is moved off the box (by clicking elsewhere.) This also occurs for radio buttons.

I've also noticed some ugliness with my tabs. The icons for many sites extend a pixel or two below the tab bar, onto the border beneath the tabs. Also, the active tab has a line below it which is wider than the tab and also a pixel too low. It just looks goofy.

This is merely cosmetic. It isn't having any real negative effects on my browsing. I thought it was just a FF3 thing until I installed on Windows and these issues didn't appear.

bertilow
June 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I have this problem as well. I get the impression that clicking on the checkbox does activate it, but the graphic of the checked box can only be seen once focus is moved off the box (by clicking elsewhere.) This also occurs for radio buttons.

I confirm this on Kubuntu Hardy, Firefox 3. It might be related to the KDE theme, but I haven't tested that.

gtdaqua
June 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM

I've also noticed some ugliness with my tabs. The icons for many sites extend a pixel or two below the tab bar, onto the border beneath the tabs. Also, the active tab has a line below it which is wider than the tab and also a pixel too low. It just looks goofy.

This is merely cosmetic. It isn't having any real negative effects on my browsing. I thought it was just a FF3 thing until I installed on Windows and these issues didn't appear.

A bug has been filed here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk-qt-engine/+bug/223055). But apparently, no resolution yet because it is a bug in a different package - gtk-qt-engine.

Go here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk-qt-engine/+bug/223055/comments/13) for a more specific comment on the bug.

bertilow
June 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM
A bug has been filed here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk-qt-engine/+bug/223055).

In that discussion someone wrote that choosing a specific GTK theme for GTK applications (not just using a KDE style) fixes the problem. I can confirm that. Problem solved for me.

System Settings -> Look & Feel -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts -> GTK Styles -> Use another Style -> (Pick one)

(Maybe you need to have parts of Gnome installed.)

gtdaqua
June 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
In that discussion someone wrote that choosing a specific GTK theme for GTK applications (not just using a KDE style) fixes the problem. I can confirm that. Problem solved for me.

System Settings -> Look & Feel -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts -> GTK Styles -> Use another Style -> (Pick one)

(Maybe you need to have parts of Gnome installed.)

Its weird in my system. I use Kubuntu Hardy 32-bit and when I get there (System Settings -> Look & Feel -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts -> GTK Styles -> Use another Style) and select "qt" from the drop box and click apply. But the setting is not saved! I had to use "raleigh" and that stays.

But I am getting the classical Firefox interface as against to the latest glossy one. Does your glossy firefox interface stay even after the change?

Loevborg
July 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I still have the same problem as the OP (on Kubuntu Hardy). Changing the style to Raleigh, rather than QT, resolves the problem. It's uglier, but at least you see if checkboxes are ticked or not. Rather odd that this bug should not be fixed by now in an LTS release.