PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Whats the difference?

MechWarrior001
June 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
My old computer teacher wants me to put a free, non-windows alternative on his computer for his computer lab class. Thing is, I don't know which one to use.

What's the difference between:

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Edubuntu
Gobuntu

I was thinking I should use the Edubuntu, 'cause its being used in a classroom, but I'm not sure.

cl0ckwork
June 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
unless the rest of the classroom is being converted to use open source, you shouldnt need to install edubuntu. it is mostly for centralizing management of resources users and configurations.

as for the others, regular ubuntu uses the GNOME desktop manager, kubuntu uses the K desktop environment, Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop environment.

the regular ubuntu is the most commonly used, probably what you would want to put on his computer.
kubuntu just uses KDE instead of GNOME and has a differnt look and feel to it, although you can install the K desktop environment in ubuntu and choose between GNOME and KDE when you log in. it mostly personal preference for these two.

Xubuntu is a very small and lightweight OS and is aimed at installing on old computers with low resources.

Gobuntu is based on the principle of only free and open source software, including drivers, firmware, and everything else contained in the system.
because of that this distrobution will work on fewer systems than other releases of ubuntu

bottom line- install the regular ubuntu package and add in the K desktop environment so you can see what each has to offer

Dark-Penguin
June 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
unless the rest of the classroom is being converted to use open source, you shouldnt need to install edubuntu. it is mostly for centralizing management of resources users and configurations.

as for the others, regular ubuntu uses the GNOME desktop manager, kubuntu uses the K desktop environment, Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop environment.

the regular ubuntu is the most commonly used, probably what you would want to put on his computer.
kubuntu just uses KDE instead of GNOME and has a differnt look and feel to it, although you can install the K desktop environment in ubuntu and choose between GNOME and KDE when you log in. it mostly personal preference for these two.

Xubuntu is a very small and lightweight OS and is aimed at installing on old computers with low resources.

Gobuntu is based on the principle of only free and open source software, including drivers, firmware, and everything else contained in the system.
because of that this distrobution will work on fewer systems than other releases of ubuntu

bottom line- install the regular ubuntu package and add in the K desktop environment so you can see what each has to offer

Can some one give me a link to a forum site where I can find info on the difference between 7.10 and 8.04?

I use a Dell Latitude laptop c840. I was finally able to get my nVidia graphics to work with the eye candy knwon as compiz. I actually want to keep using that so I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 and things went a little hinky. The upgrade went fine but had a problem with opening firefox full screen. It would be black. So I started the process all over trying to figure this out from the forums and the web and finally decided to just redo my laptop and revert back to 7.10.

This is why I want to know is there a benefit for me to upgrade. I web surf and use open office. I like the 3d effect /cube cause it gives me multi desktiops but I don't use it for gaming or anything really complex, at least not yet......

Let me know what you think...:)

cl0ckwork
June 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Can some one give me a link to a forum site where I can find info on the difference between 7.10 and 8.04?

I use a Dell Latitude laptop c840. I was finally able to get my nVidia graphics to work with the eye candy knwon as compiz. I actually want to keep using that so I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 and things went a little hinky. The upgrade went fine but had a problem with opening firefox full screen. It would be black. So I started the process all over trying to figure this out from the forums and the web and finally decided to just redo my laptop and revert back to 7.10.

This is why I want to know is there a benefit for me to upgrade. I web surf and use open office. I like the 3d effect /cube cause it gives me multi desktiops but I don't use it for gaming or anything really complex, at least not yet......

Let me know what you think...:)

mostly its just general updates. heres some links

8.04 features (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/804features/)
meet the hardy heron (http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2008/05/06/meet-the-hardy-heron-whats-new-in-ubuntu-804.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301&ATT=Meet+The+Hardy+Heron+What+s+New+in+Ubuntu+8+04 )

i would say keep with 7.10 unless you really want to fight with it.
im waiting for at least one more release before a full upgrade

Dark-Penguin
June 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Alright....I figured it out. I love the challenge. I found some more good instructions on configuring my nVidia Geforce 440 Go card on my Dell Latitude C840. Eventually I get around to doing the instructions.

I'm up and running now. I will be doing some tweaks to get it the way I want. For me Ubuntu out of the box works great but wanted compiz...now I have it....:)

Thanks for the info on the version update. I messed my 7.10 config up but really didn't have anything on it. Now I plan to tweak the way I want and image the OS.......