PDA

View Full Version : How I love Ubuntu

bwiklak
June 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have owned many operating systems (AmigaOS, Windows, MacOS X, Mandrake, Suse) but Ubuntu Feisty was first OS I was really found of.

Several day before I've installed 8.04 on my new acer Aspire 5920G and everything works out-of-the-box! (except sound card witch was not very difficult to solve). My friend at the same time tried to install Windows XP on his laptop and he had many difficulties to get drivers and support because Vista is consuming whole vendors focus.

It was the first time I switched from thinking that GNU/Linux is good but difficult and troublemaking, conversely, Windows is not good enough but simple to maintain. Nowadays Linux is simple, friendly and useful and XP is harder and harder to obtain and configure. As for Vista, I was forced to by it with my notebook, I tried to cooperate with it for several hours but finally I did format and throned it into trash! It's true, not dualboot but one system-Ubuntu GNU/LINUX. I feel no sorrow, but it is not very funny to pay for something so unserviceable. Of course I could by Dell with Ubuntu but I wanted acer :(.

Today I can say without exaggeration:
There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.

acelin
June 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I am sorry you bought an Acer.

bwiklak
June 5th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Why? It's only hardware. If you mean I should buy laptop from vendor that supports Linux, maybe I should, but choosing this system means choosing freedom. For now there are not many vendors from whom you can by notebook with Linux.

fatality_uk
June 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Dobry wieczór bwiklak

Linux is I am sure, the future for both the desktop and server PC's. Sorry to hear you had troubles with that Acer, but I read that Acer are to offer Linux on thier laptops from 2010, so maybe a good upgrade at that point ;)

Enjoy Linux :D

starcannon
June 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
@acelin,

Great sig man lol, now I got the folgers jingle stuck in me 'ead.

sloggerkhan
June 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Supposedly Acer is set to make a linux push:http://news.google.com/news?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=acer+linux&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&oi=news_group&resnum=4&ct=title

acelin
June 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Why? It's only hardware. If you mean I should buy laptop from vendor that supports Linux, maybe I should, but choosing this system means choosing freedom. For now there are not many vendors from whom you can by notebook with Linux.

Hardware makes a huge difference. Acer's hardware is horrible- you will find that out soon enough, but you may be lucky and have an ok machine. Speaking from personal experience here.

Sporkman
June 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I am sorry you bought an Acer.

Eh? I like my Acer - low cost, nice screen, slim, and Ubuntu works on it just fine.

The only down-side to it is it runs pretty hot, even when idling with minimal load.