PDA

View Full Version : If there were voice automation in Ubuntu, do you think more people would use it?

Lord Xeb
June 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Post what you think.

eragon100
June 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
No, but I would really like voice control, and I hope they build it into the next LTS release, sooner is better.

FFighter
June 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I find it useless. Anyway, great to have more options.

madjr
June 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM

+1

maybe the op should start a poll

Tomone
June 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM
It doesn't seem to me like there would be many people looking for that kind of support, let alone people that would hear about and have the opportunity to try it out. But maybe that's just me and there's a huge market for this kind of thing.
Now that I really think about it, there are those that really prefer a CLI and some users that really prefer a GUI, so I guess I'm saying that, while I would find no use for it, there may be a ton of people out there looking for just that functionality.

init1
June 7th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I've tried voice recognition before, but it doesn't work very well. I find it much eaiser to just use a keyboard.

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Sounds like something I'd remove at install.

amar
June 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
If it works. some people would use it,

Though in my experiance voice recognision works best for commands ranther than prose ie rather than writing an email, use it for 'computer next track' or 'computer volume up'. These commands work well when you are doing other things like the washing up, filing papers etc

beanhead
June 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ever seen wild hogs? there is a guy in a coffee shop and he is going to show off his voice commands to impress a good looking girl. He says search alternative text and the computer says searching alternative sex. and all kind of embarrassing web sites come up.

HAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHHA!!!!!! too funny !:lolflag:

ghindo
June 7th, 2008, 09:09 AM
sounds Like Something I'd Remove At Install.+1

Eisenwinter
June 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM

+1. I really don't see a point in having this.

MyNameisTheStig
June 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'd really like to have voice recognition/automation on Ubuntu, especially if it's good. Then I can talk commands at it, and hopefully tell it to type and send messages, so I can play on my Sega without having to pause every now and then:)

Also, I think it's very useful for people who need it, that's why Vista has it built-in.

miggols99
June 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I'd really like to have voice recognition/automation on Ubuntu, especially if it's good. Then I can talk commands at it, and hopefully tell it to type and send messages, so I can play on my Sega without having to pause every now and then:)

Also, I think it's very useful for people who need it, that's why Vista has it built-in.
That's exactly what I have to do! It would be great if I could send messages to people without having to pause my Wii ;)

unisol
June 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
could be good for some handicapped people.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of trekies here. As long as "voice automation" is equivalent to the Enterprise D's magical computer, I think we would all like it :)

_DD_
June 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Just because the majority of people wouldn't use it, it would still be a great feature to have for those who would. Accessibility is becoming a big thing nowadays.

The Rockbox project (Rockbox.org, an alternative firmware for irivers, iPods and more) implemented talking menus where text-to-speech would read out the currently selected menu item to make it navigatable for blind people. There is now a huge userbase of visually-impaired and blind people who otherwise wouldn't be able to make use of an MP3 player.

The same kind of gesture would get Ubuntu and linux in general a lot of praise.

y-lee
June 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM
There is speech recognition software (http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Speech-Recognition-HOWTO/software.html) for linux. I have never used it and read somewhere most if not all of it doesn't work the greatest but I think it would be a good idea to include some of it in the repos to make it easy to install for those that need it or would use it.

Superkoop
June 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM
For 99% of people on the planet, it would be useless.
Vista has it, and I have played with it, but it doesn't do well at actually understanding what you say. Unless you say some really simple commands, but just playing solitare is nearly impossible with it.
The only people it would be any good for is people who don't have hands.

This should officially not be supported, but should be supported by a 3rd party.

klange
June 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
In Windows, the voice recognition had to be linked to the GUI. In any Linux system, you can link it to the terminal and put some aliases for the non-word commands like 'ls' and 'cd'. Work in an alias system for directories, and you can get a full voice-activated terminal. The terminal provides a much better way to control your computer than the GUI when it comes to giving commands.

beanhead
June 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If it was as functional as the computer in Iron man I would use it.

It should work with python too so you could program just by talking hahhaha :D How cool would that be ?

ell02
June 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
i would

fatality_uk
June 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
I don't hear a massive clammering for VoiceControl! I think it's a nice little addition but I don't think id use it day in, day out.

I don't even use voice control on my phone even though I have that feature

(&*4h*)#$
June 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
I don't think it will add more people into it. I mean, even if there is voice recognition, there are still some things that we had to learn, like using the terminal. It is not that it's difficult to type on Ubuntu that is the problem, but remembering so commands could be traumatizing to some beginners.

Besides, voice recognition might be a heavy feature for distribution, and it might not be a very good idea when using a system in a noisy environment. However, I really do not mind if it will be offered as an optional feature on future releases. Even if I do not really see myself using it (unless I no longer have hands), I will admit that it is a feature some people are quite excited to have.

Fenris_rising
June 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
if my swanky mobile i had once upon a time was anything to go by, it had voice dial, then i think it will be a long time before voice recognition is perfected enough to be viable. When saying 'wendy' to dial my wife it would dial any one but her. oddly enough considering that we divorced recently it ironic that the only word my moby would recognise in reference to my ex was 'bitch'. it never failed lolololol

gameryoshi600
June 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
sounds Like Something I'd Remove At Install.

+1

Hells_Dark
June 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
If it worked well, it's something i could love.

VitaLiNux
June 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
If it works. some people would use it,

Though in my experiance voice recognision works best for commands ranther than prose ie rather than writing an email, use it for 'computer next track' or 'computer volume up'. These commands work well when you are doing other things like the washing up, filing papers etc

In fact, many people would find it useless, others would need it. Think about it, there are incapacitated people who can't even use a keyboard. Something like that would indeed be useful!

Statik
July 5th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Command and Control, speaker independent, voice recognition would be a bonus in mobile applications, such as car-puters. Also for home security type applications where you could query the system for the status of persons or devices.

Voice Print recognition might be a viable extra security measure not requiring extra hardware.

Dictation, speaker dependent, voice recognition is painful to setup but fairly usable when properly trained.

Dictation, speaker independent, voice recognition would be awesome, but seems to be out of reach of current systems.

Star Trek style interaction . . . impossible without mind-reading or ultra-fast heuristic prediction models. Just like the doors that stay closed when you wander close to them, or get thrown through them, but open when you are 8 feet away to let you out, voice recognition that knows the difference between speaking about it and speaking to it is nigh impossible.

Gnome-voicecontrol is in synaptic, but doesn't work with 8.04
Sphynx2 is in synaptic and I'm trying to get it to run right now.

Statik

Zyphrexi
October 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
the only thing I like about vista is the voice recognition. It's good for people like me who like to think out loud, then later become annoyed that they didn't write down their thoughts. Plus with the right set up, you could send commands and info to your computer (being afk or outside), which could be handy.

rudihawk
October 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
No it wouldn't.

lukjad
October 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Only if you could have the "crack" command. E.g. "Computer, crack into INTERPOL and erase all information about me."

Therion
October 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Sounds like something I'd remove at install.
Bingo.

handy
October 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Some would under rare circumstances, like perhaps as a home automation control system with X10 or something similar.

I don't think that it is worth developing. My Mac has the ability, & I'm not even interested in checking it out.

Waste of time.

kernelhaxor
October 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It would definitely stand out as a big plus for Ubuntu. But I don't think it will be a game changer.
Also, voice automation is one area of computer science that hasn't seen much advancement over the years. There exists voice recognition systems but they are far from perfect/usable on a day-to-day basis.

Zyphrexi
October 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM
it's kind of necessary for people with certain physical impairments though.

NullHead
October 28th, 2008, 01:49 AM
As long as it was better than Vista's voice command program, then yes, I'd use it.

Grant A.
October 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Obviously no one here has seen Wild Hogs where the guy says "Just looking up some alternative sex" jokingly, and his voice automation program on his work computer starts looking up alternative sex videos and pictures on the net. :lolflag:

Statik
October 28th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Don't forget that there are two different forms of voice automation as well. There is voice command and voice dictation. I think the voice command is much more viable and attractive in the mobile market, especially if you were to put an ubuntu mini-computer in your car or something.

Statik

handy
October 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM
it's kind of necessary for people with certain physical impairments though.

I agree, that is where one could be extremely grateful for voice recognition.

& voice command in a car too.

I still don't think it would have a noticeable effect on the number of Ubuntu users.

eternalnewbee
October 28th, 2008, 03:38 AM
( Silly me )
Wondering whether my voice would be recognized, if say I had a cold or were to be intoxicated?...

Th3Professor
November 23rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
There are over 161,000,000 (161+ million) people (and that is only considering one impairment) who would benefit from "voice automation", aka speech-to-text, aka dictation, aka speech commands, aka voice recognition, aka anything initiated by speech.

dahlheim
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Some would under rare circumstances, like perhaps as a home automation control system with X10 or something similar.
\

DOUBLE-bingo

MikeTheC
December 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I strongly doubt it. The problems involved in speech recognition and background sounds have yet to be fully solved within a practical user environment.

Apple has had (arguably limited) speech recognition since the 1990s -- starting on the Quadra 660av and 840av -- and to this day I have yet to ever go anywhere that such capability is actually being used.

Even with Microsoft, which has had speech recognition as a part of Microsoft Office for years (I know Office 2003 had it, not sure about prior versions), I've never walked into an office, a residence, or anywhere else and saw it in use.

It's one of those kind of solutions that's in search of a problem.

Icehuck
December 5th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I strongly doubt it. The problems involved in speech recognition and background sounds have yet to be fully solved within a practical user environment.

Actually speech recognition works very well, but you probably won't find it in every day applications. We use a system here at our distribution center that has our warehouse pickers using speech recognition to pick product. Each user does an initial 45 minute training session so the computer can "learn" how you talk. After that the user can read out digits, letters, and phrases with pretty darn good results.

dannytatom
December 5th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm sure some people would use it, but I wouldn't. I'd get tired of talking so fast.

MikeTheC
December 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Actually speech recognition works very well, but you probably won't find it in every day applications. We use a system here at our distribution center that has our warehouse pickers using speech recognition to pick product. Each user does an initial 45 minute training session so the computer can "learn" how you talk. After that the user can read out digits, letters, and phrases with pretty darn good results.

Really? That's cool!

Statik
December 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I have a Motorola cell phone that is 4 or more years old and runs linux natively. It has speaker independent voice commands. If even this limited functionality was available in Ubuntu I would rejoice. As well, have you ever noticed how quiet the background is when listening to a bluetooth headset? Thats because of active noise cancellation. Pair a headset with the PC and you have a nice, cord free, voice input path.

Statik

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Lol, I would use it. I like fancy things like that xD. I would love to see a program like Enso for linux, at the least

tjwoosta
December 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
i tried vista's speech recognition but the thing was junk, it would hardly ever do what i said and instead it would lead me in circles

start firefox....no, no, close winrar....CLOSE WINRAR!... start firefox...CLOSE WINRAR!!....start firefox...