View Full Version : [all variants] partition question

June 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I am planning to reformat my computer (dual boot with Ubuntu 8.10 and Win XP) and just had a quick question on Mount Points. I would like to split my hard drive 40-40-40 giving Ubuntu and Windows both 40 gb and then a FAT32 as shared space, for Music and pictures and such so I don't have to fuss with NTFS on Linux or vice versa. Now my question is when running the Ubuntu partitioner, What mount point would I assign the FAT32 partition, or do I not need to assign it any. I know last time I tried to put my /home on a different partition for some reason it failed and I had this drive it named 3.3gb volume that I needed to enter to root pw to look at, and everything in it was locked, and id like that to not happen again.

Thank you for any help.

June 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You don't want to assing a mount point to the fat32 partition.
Make 4 partitions:
1 - windows install
2 - Shared Fat32 space
3 - Linux install - mount point /
4 - Linux swap

June 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Ubuntu should automatically detect the fat32 partition and mount it to /media/ when you install (plus it will place a link to it on your desktop too)

June 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
linux is good at handling ntfs nowadays. you sure you wanna go with fat32?

June 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Any additional drives generally populate your systems /media folder. I normally just mount all my additional storage hdds under it.

For example:

sda1 would get amount point of /media/sda1
sdb1 would get amount point of /media/sdb1
and so on.

Since your partition will mainly be used as a shared drive /media/shared is also an easy option. Post back if you have any questions. Hope this helps. =]

June 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
You shouldn't have to specify /media/sda1 in the partition editor during the install, ubuntu will do it automatically for you on boot.

July 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
i did exactly the same, but my fat32 seems to be mounter to media/sda0 and there's a locked side beside it in gparted. and i can't create folder or edit the fat32 partition. how do i enable this?

last time i just reformatted the partition, then only could i edit anything in it altho copying files from the ext3 partition to the fat32 was very very slow, nvr reachin beyong 1.8 mbs.