PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu for You? Flowchart for absolute beginners to Ubuntu.

Mazza558
June 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29948/Ubuntuforyou.jpg

What do you think? Just finished it a few minutes ago. It might be useful to send to people who are just slightly interested in Ubuntu. :)

Digg it here: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Is_Ubuntu_for_You_Flowchart_for_Ubuntu_beginners

lespaul_rentals
June 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
That was hard to follow. I got lost several times.

cardinals_fan
June 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I also got lost. Starting with the idealogy seems questionable to me.

Mazza558
June 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Well, people often ignore the ideology. The fact is, a lot of the way Ubuntu works is through the way it's organised. If people don't accept that, what's the chance they'll accept any other aspects?

EDIT: Each option has 2 choices coming off it. Just follow one of the two options.

cardinals_fan
June 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, people often ignore the ideology. The fact is, a lot of the way Ubuntu works is through the way it's organised. If people don't accept that, what's the chance they'll accept any other aspects?

The question I would ask first is whether you consider your computer a means or an end. If you say the latter, Windows is better for you.

acelin
June 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
The question I would ask first is whether you consider your computer a means or an end. If you say the latter, Windows is better for you.

Ehh not so much. Most of the Ubuntu users I know at my college just use it for the basics, and dont bother with a lot of stuff. I know Windows users who are very technically advanced when it comes to working with their machines.

Redrazor39
June 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I like your flowchart. I agree with starting with the ideology. That's one of the most important differences here.

Also, just clean it up a bit. instead of lines, have arrows. Put everything in neat rows, etc.

I like the colors :)

sanderella
June 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I think it's quite good, I could follow it easily. Good idea to pass it on to friends.:KS

cardinals_fan
June 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Ehh not so much. Most of the Ubuntu users I know at my college just use it for the basics, and dont bother with a lot of stuff. I know Windows users who are very technically advanced when it comes to working with their machines.
These things aren't black-and-white, which is why a flowchart is somewhat questionable anyway. Windows can be excellent for technical users, and Linux can be great for nontechnical users. My point was that unless you put some effort into customizing your OS, Windows isn't really worse than Linux (watch the flamewar start after that one!).

I like your flowchart. I agree with starting with the ideology. That's one of the most important differences here.

Also, just clean it up a bit. instead of lines, have arrows. Put everything in neat rows, etc.

I like the colors :)
1. I don't consider the idealogy the most important, but many people apparently do. Keep it up there!
2. +1
3. The colors are very nice. Just make the Ubuntu logo look a bit less copy/pasted.

elmer_42
June 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Redrazor pretty much summed it up for me:

[J]ust clean it up a bit. instead of lines, have arrows. Put everything in neat rows, etc.

Mazza558
June 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Redrazor pretty much summed it up for me:

Luckily, I can just modify and save the file again at the same link. I'll do that later.

eragon100
June 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I also got lost. Starting with the idealogy seems questionable to me.

I agree, most people don't care about ideology, right? :)

All I want is more ubuntu users so more games and other commercial software gets ported to ubuntu. :KS

SomeGuyDude
June 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Boy, that thing isn't biased at all!