PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update and sources problem

rockstar
June 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I'm not quite sure what's going on here. Everytime I boot my computer it manually checks the disks which takes forever. Also I have trouble updating regularly with the Package Manager, so I use the Terminal. But today something strange happened and I don't know what's going on.

Here is the Output.

paul@paul-laptop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
/usr/bin/sudo: line 1: es: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 2: Compiled: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 3: Add: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 4: Forget: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 5: DIR: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 6: directory: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 7: With: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 8: in: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 9: in: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 10: Line: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 11: LINENUM,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 12: FILE:LINENUM,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 13: FUNCTION,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 14: FILE:FUNCTION,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 15: Default: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 30: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/bin/sudo: line 30: `Reinitialize source path to empty? select_source_symtab: readin pst found and no symtabs.Can't find a default source filedelete_substitute_path_rulefind_source_linesDe bugger convenience ("$foo") variables.'
paul@paul-laptop:~$

This happens with the update command as well.

paul@paul-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
/usr/bin/sudo: line 1: es: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 2: Compiled: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 3: Add: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 4: Forget: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 5: DIR: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 6: directory: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 7: With: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 8: in: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 9: in: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 10: Line: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 11: LINENUM,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 12: FILE:LINENUM,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 13: FUNCTION,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 14: FILE:FUNCTION,: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 15: Default: command not found
/usr/bin/sudo: line 30: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/bin/sudo: line 30: `Reinitialize source path to empty? select_source_symtab: readin pst found and no symtabs.Can't find a default source filedelete_substitute_path_rulefind_source_linesDe bugger convenience ("$foo") variables.'
paul@paul-laptop:~$

ubuntu-freak
June 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Do you have the Windows boot partition permanantly mounted in Ubuntu? Best not to. As for your sudo problem, boot into recovery mode and try this command:

apt-get --reinstall install sudo

That should do it.

drs305
June 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
We can investigate your disk checks. Please run and post of the following. Substitute the partition being checked for sdaX:

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdaX | grep mount
cat /etc/fstab

We can see if it is set up to perform an fdisk on each boot.

As to your other problem, I don't have a definitive answer. You could try purging and reinstalling sudo.

rockstar
June 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM
So, I tried to do both of the above in the recovery mode but got the same error messages. I also tried to repair the system, but the updater would not connect to the server to update.

I decided to re-install, so I put in the 8.04 LTS and attempted to re-install because my /home is separate partition. However when I tried to re-install I got the following error message.

Failed to Remove Conflicting Files: The installer needs to remove operating system files from the install target but was unable to do so. The install cannot continue.

I'm using the live-cd right now. I really hope I don't have to re-format my /home partition

ubuntu-freak
June 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
So, I tried to do both of the above in the recovery mode but got the same error messages. I also tried to repair the system, but the updater would not connect to the server to update.

I decided to re-install, so I put in the 8.04 LTS and attempted to re-install because my /home is separate partition. However when I tried to re-install I got the following error message.

Failed to Remove Conflicting Files: The installer needs to remove operating system files from the install target but was unable to do so. The install cannot continue.

I'm using the live-cd right now. I really hope I don't have to re-format my /home partition

Your home partition shouldn't prevent an install. Did you manually delete and create a new root ("/") partition with the installation disc?

rockstar
June 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Well I re-installed and fixed whatever it was I broke. I probably messed up my Sources list following directions meant for Gusty. Most of the time re-installing is what I do to fix problems.

ubuntu-freak
June 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Well I re-installed and fixed whatever it was I broke. I probably messed up my Sources list following directions meant for Gusty. Most of the time re-installing is what I do to fix problems.

I think a dodgy command removed sudo as well.

What were you trying to do? Have a look at my how-to in sig, may be of some help.

rockstar
June 7th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I think I was trying to install some sources or edit my sources list. I wanted to install something that required adding a line to the list.

These are the directions I think I was following
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy#Manual_Method_for_Adding_Repositories