PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Want is Linux Mint?

mac143_01
June 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
is there someone who can help me about Linux Mint?

please post a link where I can read something about it.

ANd please post where I can Download a live-cd of Linux Mint with the latest version,...I will download it via utorrent so please I need a torrent file of it,.. THANKS!!!

and another question to ask, in utorrent...what is a seed and what is a leecher?

lazyart
June 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Linux Mint is a distro based off of Ubuntu. Really, a google search would have taken you to www.linuxmint.com and your questions answered.

avtolle
June 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.linuxmint.com/ is the site, found through a Google search.

SunnyRabbiera
June 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Linux mint is a ubuntu based distro, it has the same repositories and base as ubuntu but offers many of its own tools and proprietary stuff by default (like flash)
as for bit torrent, a seed is someone who has the file and a leecher is someone looking to download that file

starcannon
June 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I went to google, typed in
linux mint

It gave me this:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=linux+mint&btnG=Google+Search

I went with the: Main Page - Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) link, it looked like a great choice.

Sorry to give you the "google" answer, but on a question this basic it should be your first stop.

Now for the second part, where to get a linux mint torrent:
I followed the download links in the main site and got to here:
http://www.linuxmint.de/downloads.html

Finally, as to which one, I would start out with the "Main Edition" I always like to check out the default first, get my feet wet with what the developer thinks is best, and then move on to the other versions after I've gotten an idea of how things are done.

GL, I've heard many good things about Mint, let us know how you like it.

SunnyRabbiera
June 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Well in my case linux mint worked better for me in the past then Ubuntu, I am really looking forward to Elyssa and trying it out...
when that day comes I will make a decision, to either stay with ubuntu hardy, go to mint or give mandriva another go.

avtolle
June 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
SunnyRabbiera, I've got rc-2 of Elyssa on one of my boxes for testing purposes. So far, so good; haven't really broken anything, been a bit lazy and haven't installed my wireless yet (as I have no real need for it right now). I am also contemplating going to Mint once Elyssa is out in final, but may hold off until the AMD-64 version is out.

For lurkers and others, happened across a discussion of Mint about 6 weeks ago; installed the current stable release on a refurbished laptop for our younger daughter, who is delighted with it, which prompted my thought to give a test drive to the rc for Elyssa. As SunnyR says, it presents one with a polished choice with various restricted things already installed and configured. Good distro, just wish I've enough time to try to break it and fix it, just to see how it goes.

mac143_01
June 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well in my case linux mint worked better for me in the past then Ubuntu, I am really looking forward to Elyssa and trying it out...
when that day comes I will make a decision, to either stay with ubuntu hardy, go to mint or give mandriva another go.

WHo is Elyssa?

avtolle
June 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Elyssa is the name for the next release of Linux Mint (based somewhat on Ubuntu 8.04) that is currently in rc-2 state. Please visit the site linked in the posts above for more information.

mac143_01
June 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
WHo is Elyssa?

hehehe,.. I see that Elyssa is a version of Mint...

I thought as it was a girls name hehehe,...

WHy does they use a girls name? is the creator of that distro a girl? or dedicated the OS for someone special???...

uberlube
June 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
If you are a fan of KDE, give Daryna KDE CE a try. Its all I ever use. :)

lazyart
June 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
apparently the Mint distros are given girl's names. I actually took a peek at Mint earlier this week and really liked what I saw. I had to blow away my laptop's Hardy installation after I mucked it up. I ended up putting Hardy back on (and I do say, it runs quicker on my laptop than Gutsy, but maybe because I don't have Desktop Effects on...). Anyhow I just might go with Mint anyway. Nice additions to an Ubuntu base and it's compatible with Ubuntu's .debs

lonoy
June 7th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Linux Mint is the delicious icing on a Ubuntu cake.

Joeb454
June 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Nice additions to an Ubuntu base and it's compatible with Ubuntu's .debs

I believe .debs are actually universal to all Debian based distro's, just as .rpm's are universal to all Red Hat based distro's :) Which is why the .deb's work on Mint & Ubuntu ;)