PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot install ibuntu

hawkeye48
June 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I made a post some time ago on this subject, went away and tried all that was advised. I can find thr htread now so cannot update it but i still have the same problem.

I boot from the cd and get the choice of languages,hit the enter key i get the choice of run ibuntu from the disk, install to hard drive, check memory and cant remeber last one.

On all four options, when i hit enter i get a message 'cant read boot CD' under that 'reboot'

I have burnt three disks at varying speeds the slowest of which was 4*, i have tried to install to three PC's nad get the same message. I downloaded the file again went through the whole process with the same reults. I have also tried to install to partitons, empty hard drives and over writing XP.

Some please put me on the straight and narrow............

PmDematagoda
June 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
When you reach the menu of the install CD, use the Check CD entry to check the disc, see if that completes without failures.

hawkeye48
June 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I did this with the same result. If it helps i have tried all the options along the bottom.

wpshooter
June 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
What brand of CD media are you using ? Is it a quality brand named CD and not one of the 2 cents each CDs ?

Is the firmware of your CD drive on the latest and greatest version ?

hawkeye48
June 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I have looked for firmware upgrades but with no luck, the drive is an NEC DVD_RW ND-4571A. It gives no problems in other things i use it for and i throw a load of crap at it.

media is something else....had not thought of that. I was going to try a Maxell disc. I do tend to buy discs in bulk as i get through quite a few.

Will try some other brands and see what happens

PmDematagoda
June 6th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Also, is there no slower speed than 4x that you could use? 4x is the maximum recommended speed, but to be on the safe side you could burn the CD at a speed of 1x.