PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is $PATH set up when Ubuntu boots ?

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Folks,

Silly beginners question here: Where are the initial values for $PATH set up in Ubuntu. What is the equivalent of the DOS "autoexec.bat" file in which paths are set ?

:confused:

drs305
June 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
The root path is set up in /etc/environment

You would normally set user PATH in ~/.bashrc with the following format:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/path_to_folder:$HOME/path_to_next_folder

bobbocanfly
June 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
If i am reading the question correctly you want to know what Ubuntu's default $PATH is?

bobbo@tiger:~/Code/terminator$ echo $PATH
/home/<username>/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Cheers bobbocanfly and drs305,

Reason i asked is 'cause if i do from terminal:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/path_to_folder:$HOME/path_to_next_folder

that path is forgotten when i close the terminal window and open another one.

Have just re-installed gEDA, so will try putting it's search paths into the "/etc/environment" file...

Will let you know if that works,

Cheers folks.

drs305
June 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Cheers bobbocanfly and drs305,

Reason i asked is 'cause if i do from terminal:

that path is forgotten when i close the terminal window and open another one.

Have just re-installed gEDA, so will try putting it's search paths into the "/etc/environment" file...

Cheers folks.

That should work but it more properly should go in the user's ~/.bashrc folder unless it's going to be used by multiple users. It will be read during boot and available for the entire session.

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Ahaa,

So each user's paths are set up in their "/home/.bashrc" file whilst global paths are placed in the "/etc/environment" file ?

Another problem though is:

If i know where a programme has been installed and it's definitley there, why doesn't BASH find it ?

redbeard@the-wintel-box:~$ cd geda-install
redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install$ ls
bin html include info lib libexec man share
redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install$ cd bin
redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install/bin$ ls
bin gnet_hier_verilog.sh gschlas lxt2miner nghelp pcb smash_megafile vcd2lxt2
cmpp gnetlist gschupdate lxt2vcd ngmultidec refdes_renum stdio-wcalc vcd2vzt
convert_sym gnucap gsymcheck makeidx ngnutmeg rtlbrowse sw2asc vertex
garchive gnucap-modelgen gsymfix.pl Merge_dimPCBPS ngproc2mod sarlacc_schem tex2vcd vvp
gattrib grenum gsymupdate MergePCBPS ngsconvert sarlacc_sym tla2vcd vzt2vcd
gerbv gsch2pcb gtkwave mk_verilog_syms ngspice sch2eaglepos.sh tragesym vztminer
ghwdump gschem iverilog mvl2lxt olib share twinwave wcalc
gmk_sym gschemdoc iverilog-vpi mvl2vcd pads_backannotate shmidcat vcd2lxt wcalc-config
redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install/bin$ gschem
The program 'gschem' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install geda-gschem
-bash: gschem: command not found
redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install/bin$

Any ideas ? Is this getting off topic ?

:)

spiderbatdad
June 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
if you use ls -l
you will also see the file permissions, to determine, whether gschem is executable. Also try running with ./gschem
though you shouldn't need ./ if PATH has been set...
You could troubleshoot by making sure gschem is executable, then try to run with ./gschem from within the /geda/install/bin directory, or by supplying the full path from /home

drs305
June 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Ahaa,

So each user's paths are set up in their "/home/.bashrc" file whilst global paths are placed in the "/etc/environment" file ?

Your PATH is set in ~./bashrc . Sudo/root's PATH is set in /root/.bashrc. God's PATH is set in /etc/environment ;-)

You can see the difference if you run:

$PATH
sudo $PATH
su
$PATH

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Cheers Spiderbatdad,

-rwxr-xr-x 1 redbeard redbeard 1684924 2008-06-05 12:44 gschem

so it is an executable file.

Trying to run it from it's own directory:

redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install/bin$ gschem
The program 'gschem' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install geda-gschem
-bash: gschem: command not found
redbeard@the-wintel-box:~/geda-install/bin$

Just out of interest, what would be the proper syntax (grammar) for the path to this file ?

In "<tilde>/.bashrc" i've put:

# My PATH information:
export PATH=$PATH:home/Documents/gEDA_stuff/Library/Neils:home/geda-install/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:home/geda-install/lib

O'course, the real path is "/home/redbeard/geda-install/bin", but as a logged in user isn't "home" taken as the user (redbeard) directory ?

i'm clearly wrong about this, any ideas ?

Steveway
June 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Question! Since GEDA is in the repositories why didn't you install it through your package-manager?
On that way you would get updates automatically and it would allready be ready to work with so you don't have to configure your PATH.

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Very good question Steveway,

i've installed gEDA four times on this machine trying to get it to work under Ubuntu.

First two installs was from the install CD ".iso", downloaded from Mr. Brorson via the gEDA website. i got fed up during the install with it failing due to missing files.

Then i installed it by the simple "sudo apt-get install geda-gaf" from command line.

The install worked, however some bits didn't due to PATH problems (i.e. not finding things clearly defined in PATH).

So, i removed it "sudo apt-get remove geda-gaf", tried a re-install the same way which didn't work for the same reason. Removed it as before.

Just did another install from the CD as recommended by "boz"'s post "Best Analogue Circuit Simulator" in the "Education & Science" forum.

Does that help ?

What am i doing wrong ?

spiderbatdad
June 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I set path like this in /.bashrc:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin This example gives PATH to all the executables in /home/user_name/bin

Where user_name is my logged-in/admin account. id 1000

I still have to make files in /bin executable when I add to the folder new programs.

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi spiderbatdad,

Doesn't the "-rwxr-xr-x" mean that from all three points of view the file is executable ?

If so, why doesn't BASH know it exists ?

Sorry to go on,

spiderbatdad
June 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
It does indeed appear to be executable. So it seems your /.bashrc (at the end of the file) should contain:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/geda-install/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$Home/geda-install/lib

This should make the path available to redbeard, and should run, simply, from the terminal with the command:
gschem

From your previous post I noticed:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 redbeard redbeard 1684924 2008-06-05 12:44 gschem
The "1" indicating that the link has not yet been created. It means 1 link, but I believe you should see 2, once the PATH is actually exported.

Cap'n Redbeard
June 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Ahaa spiderbatdad,

Cheers mate, gschem now runs.

So "home" must be in upper case "export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/geda-install/bin". No wonder i'd had troubles and nowt could find 'owt !

Thank you sir,

(how do i officially thank you ?)

drs305
June 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM
(how do i officially thank you ?)

Ah, he's probably too modest to reply.

Thanks are given by clicking on the gold star at the lower right of the pertinent post.

The moderators would like you to mark the thread SOLVED by using the 'Thread Tools' link to the upper right of the original post once you are satisfied with the results.

spiderbatdad
June 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks goes to drs305 who showed us both how to do it. I had been unhappily having to set path each session, too immodest to ask for help.

Anyway to thank him click the little gold star at the bottom of the persons post.

The Cog
June 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Just to add info:
the current directory "." is not normally part of the path in *nix. Actually, it isn't in Widows either, but the difference is that in Windows the current directory is always searched regardless, whereas in *nix this is not the case. So in *nix, starting a program in your current directory always involves typing ./progname. You get used to it eventually. You could of course all . to your path, but that isn't normally done.

a7ndrew
January 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I set path like this in /.bashrc:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin This example gives PATH to all the executables in /home/user_name/bin

Where user_name is my logged-in/admin account. id 1000

I still have to make files in /bin executable when I add to the folder new programs.

when I try to run this command from bash, I am getting a response that says "Not a valid identifier". Would anyone know why this might be?

the ~/bin directory has the following permissions: drwxr-xr-x