PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just got *Buntu

MankyScotsGit
June 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hello all,

Just finished installing *Buntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) cli onto an old computer and am in the process of putting the GNOME and KDE desktops on.

I like the KDE file-manager (Konquerer) and some of the KDE programs more than the GNOME equivalents, but I prefer the looks of GNOME and I prefer some of the GNOME applications...

How do I truly get the best of both worlds?

I'm running this on an Intel Celeron (Pentium-III based) with 1GHz Processor and 127Mb RAM.

Thanks in advance,
Manky.

P.S. I am aware that there is good stuff in XFCE and others, but I have never used these and thus cannot say whether I will (personally) like any of their features.

greghill
June 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Synaptic is your friend! You can indeed run BOTH KDE and Gnome apps from Gnome, I do it all the time.
For example, if you want the KDE Cd burning too named "K3b" then simply open Synaptic, do a search for K3b and click apply. Synaptic will download the required KDE libraries needed to run the KDE app and install them for you automatically. I also run Kompozer (NVU) to develop web pages. This is another KDE app that runs fine in Gnome.
This list is chock full of users who will help you through any issues you might come up against. I'm leaving to go to my day job now. Good luck with Ubuntu. I've been a Buntu user for quite a while. (Currently use Gutsy with Gnome, dual booted with Debian Etch and run Windows (only when I have to!) using VMWare)

perlluver
June 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hello all,

Just finished installing *Buntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) cli onto an old computer and am in the process of putting the GNOME and KDE desktops on.

I like the KDE file-manager (Konquerer) and some of the KDE programs more than the GNOME equivalents, but I prefer the looks of GNOME and I prefer some of the GNOME applications...

I'm running this on an Intel Celeron (Pentium-III based) with 1GHz Processor and 127Mb RAM.

Thanks in advance,
Manky.

P.S. I am aware that there is good stuff in XFCE and others, but I have never used these and thus cannot say whether I will (personally) like any of their features.

127 MB of ram kind of worries me when using Gnome and KDE together.

MankyScotsGit
June 6th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a little much, but as I only use one X-Windows session at a time... well... it's working currently...

If I was to un-install, let's say GNOME, could I then re-download single applications and get past the whole GNOME system - for instance: I like GIMP :D. Can I use GIMP without having GNOME?

Wolki
June 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
If I was to un-install, let's say GNOME, could I then re-download single applications and get past the whole GNOME system - for instance: I like GIMP :D. Can I use GIMP without having GNOME?

Yes. Some applications depend on having a lot of GNOME installed though (mostly libraries). Your package manager will automatically sort this out for you, and tell you when additionall things are to be installed.

[edit] 127 mb ram is still very little, especially considering ram prices today. An upgrade won't cost a lot, but greatly improve your experience with both KDE and GNOME.

I also run Kompozer (NVU) to develop web pages. This is another KDE app that runs fine in Gnome.

Actually, Kompozer is not a KDE app. It depends on gtk, not QT. The initial letter is a bit confusing though. :)

MasterNetra
June 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,
Manky.

You probably should be running Xubuntu on that machine x.x