PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE versus GNOME

G-Dub
June 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I am very very new to the world of Linux. I am currently running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron. I've been seeing a lot about GNOME, it appears as though I have GNOME installed on my computer(?) But I have also seen a lot on something called KDE. What is the difference? Can I have both installed?

Anzan
June 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, you can have both. In fact, you can also have Xubuntu, Awesome, Window Maker, ratpoison, Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox and many other window managers installed.

Of course it's best to keep it simple and just try things out.

You can easily install and uninstall DEs and WMs if you don't like them so it's no problem.

The best thing to do would be to use Synaptic.

Just search for Kubuntu.

Have fun.

Naegling23
June 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
ubuntu by default runs gnome.

gnome and kde are both desktop environments. This basically means that they are packages of programs that run on linux.

Some of the programs that they run have to do with the look and feel of the computer, so they look very different from each other. By default they also have some different programs such as media players, office suits, email clients, IM clients, etc. All of these programs will run on the other, for example, amarok is a kde program, you can install it in gnome, the only problem is that it is designed to look like a kde program, so it will look like it does not fit in with the rest of your desktop.

You can go to www.kde.org to see what kde has to offer. Currently they are working on 4.1 which is pretty exciting for the kde users.

You can also install both of them side by side. Just go into adept and install kde-desktop. This will install all of the kde programs. On your login screen, you will have an option to load into gnome or kde. The downside to all of this is that you get a whole bunch of programs installed, and your menu's start to get pretty cluttered.

If all you want to do is try kde out, go get a live cd of kubuntu (kubuntu is ubuntu with kde instead of gnome). You can play around with it, and see for yourself what kde is about. Currently there are two versions of kubuntu hardy. One, the standard, uses kde 3.5. The other, remix, uses kde 4.0. KDE 4.0 is being used to get people ready for kde 4.1, but is not ready to be used by most people, so I recommend starting with 3.5. But if you are trying them out, why not check out both!

One last note, there are more than gnome and kde, but they are the biggest ones. XFCE is another example, as well as lots of smaller ones.

NikoC
June 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
On the difference between the two: I think you should use the search function of this forum... this is a question that has been asked and answerd a zillion times.

On the installation: it is available via the repositories in HH.
In a terminal type:
sudo apt-get install kde4

Or use synaptic as was suggested by Naegling23

And this will install all the necessary packages. Logout again and at the login screen choose kde4 as your session.

Cheers.

Naegling23
June 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
to NikoC:

While kde4 is an option, I highly, highly recommend kde 3.5 until the release of 4.1. At this point, 4.1 is just missing too many functions to be an everyday desktop. I'm a kde user, so I am trying to "convert" someone to the shiny side :-). Right now, 3.5 is the best. As of the end of july, I will be recommending 4.1. I dont want them to get the wrong idea and think kde is flawed, missing features, buggy, or lacking in any way.

But, as you stated, 4.1 is an option if they wanted to try it.

(im sorry if I came across rather harsh, I dont intend to sound mean. You are certainly not "wrong", I just think that 3.5 is the better choice for a new user, for right now is all)

Pablo_F
June 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi! I'm new to Ubuntu. I've just installed 8.04-Desktop-amd64.
I'm familiar with gnome but I'd like to give kde a try. I'm not new to Linux but I've never tried to have another Desktop than the distro's default and now I would like to be able to change the desktop manager easily. What I've done:
- From synaptic I've installed kubuntu-desktop
- I've chosen kdm as the default display manager (/etc/X11/default_display_manager)

Yes, when I start the computer the welcome screen is that of kde but when I write my password: Gnome again!
What am I missing?
Thank you for any ideas
Pablo

joninkrakow
June 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
At KDM, you need to find the option to change the session, and choose KDE from the session manager. You will also probably be asked if you want to make it your default, or run it just once. That's for your to decide. :-)

-Jon

NikoC
June 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
to NikoC:

While kde4 is an option, I highly, highly recommend kde 3.5 until the release of 4.1. At this point, 4.1 is just missing too many functions to be an everyday desktop. I'm a kde user, so I am trying to "convert" someone to the shiny side :-). Right now, 3.5 is the best. As of the end of july, I will be recommending 4.1. I dont want them to get the wrong idea and think kde is flawed, missing features, buggy, or lacking in any way.

But, as you stated, 4.1 is an option if they wanted to try it.

(im sorry if I came across rather harsh, I dont intend to sound mean. You are certainly not "wrong", I just think that 3.5 is the better choice for a new user, for right now is all)

I fully agree with your argumentation! For your everyday stable desktop and full functionality go for 3.5!

G-Dub
June 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I apologize NikoC, i am very new to these forums. Anzan and Naegling23, you guys are awesome! Thank You so much for your information!

NikoC
June 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM
No need to apologize G-Dub, a lot of new people don't know about the search function and I just wanted to point you in the right direction. Glad to help you out, as are all of us!