PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New partition File System and Mount Point?

JEBB
June 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
In upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04 the Ubuntu partition of my dual boot (XP/Ubuntu) Thinkpad got screwed up. (No sound was one problem.) So I decided to wipe clean, reformat, and, at the same time expand, my Ubuntu partition. I am using Gparted from the Live CD. It seemed rather intuitive until I got to the screen that is entitled "Edit Partition" where I encountered two choices that were new to me: File System and Mount Point. What File System should I choose for this Ubuntu partition and what Mount Point? None of the choices are meaningful to me. Thanks.

didac
June 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
To install a Linux system you need a minimum of two partitions, one formatted as ext3 or ext2 and mounted as / or root, and another partition as swap, no mounting point needed. You can also set more partitions with different filesystems like reiserfs, and different mounting points, but that will do.

JEBB
June 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks didac. That was the information needed to finish the formatting and installation. But, alas, while it boots to 8.04, I can't do anything. There is no sound, as before, but now no wireless networks are recognized. Back to 7.10? Or forget it?

wpshooter
June 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
To install a Linux system you need a minimum of two partitions, one formatted as ext3 or ext2 and mounted as / or root, and another partition as swap, no mounting point needed. You can also set more partitions with different filesystems like reiserfs, and different mounting points, but that will do.

I would also make sure that I had a separate /home partition.

didac
June 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Re-post the problem and go through the forums postings on upgrades/installations