PDA

View Full Version : Can you use Ekiga to talk to Windows users?

Bou
June 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hiya,

Since Pidgin does not support audio/video, I would like to use Ekiga to talk to some of my friends. I was wondering, though, if there is some native app for Windows that they can use to talk to me while I'm using Ekiga.

Kingsley
June 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Ekiga runs natively in Windows, so I assume you'd be able to communicate with your friends through it.

beanhead
June 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I dont know of a way to do it, but there is a magic trick for everything.
I would suggest you just get skype for linux. :D

Bou
June 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I've just seen that Ekiga is a bit difficult to install under windows. Are there any other easier alternatives? I wouldn't like to go my friends go through any hassle just to talk to me, or give them any wrong impression about Linux programs being difficult to install.

Kingsley
June 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Really? I didn't know that.
Yes, I remember using Ekiga to test my webcam in Vista last year.

Here's a link to the download page for Windows: http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Windows_Users

kostkon
June 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Since Ekiga supports H.323 then the windows user can use NetMeeting and you will be able to communicate just fine.

wersdaluv
June 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
As beanhead said, just use skype.

I would also suggest posting stuff like this in another forum section :)

Sef
June 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Check out Wengo Phone (http://www.wengophone.com/index_eng.html).

porter
June 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM
i've managed to get my friend to install ekiga on her windows machine without a problem, but when she calls my ip address, i can click accept and about a minute later my computer says call not answered in time and disconnects.

anyone have any advice on what settings to check? or is there a better program for windows than net meeting?

(she's only using the win version of ekiga since net meeting has a tendency to lock up a lot and we're hoping that this would help.)

thanks.